GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Life Without Shigsy"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 30/08/02 at 11:46
Regular
Your all Nintendo fans, (or spamming newbies), right?
So chances are you'll have heard the name Shigsy mentioned around the place. He's the main Nintendo man, and to my knowledge he created Nintendo (correct me if that was wrong)

But, what if Mummy & Daddy Shigsy never met? What if the name Shigsy was famous not for videogames but for being the star of a French comic book?

Firstly, there would be no Nintendo. No GC, No N64, No GBA, nothing. Mario and Zelda would not exist. Neither would any Pikmin, Super Smash Bros or anyhing like that. It seems a hard prospect to consider, but there wouldn't even be NES.

NES changed the shape of videogames quite dramatically. It's a legendary machine, and is referred to when many classic games are mentioned. Would that mean that without Nintendo, the gaming industry would be very different to what it is now? It's a possibility, at least.

The console war would be much different. Sega is the next best thing to Nintendo, so the console war could be XBox Vs PS2 Vs Sega Machine (Maybe Dreamcast). I think XBox and PS2 would be very short of fresh ideas due to no-one to create new genres. Sega would make something, then PS2 and XBox would copy it. That means, that maybe, just maybe, if there was no Shigsy Sega would be winning the console war. Just maybe.

Rare would probably either be developing multi-format, or have been brought by either Sega or Sony. Also, judging by Rare's talent, they might have enough ideas to release there own mini-console, and make there own games for it.

So, so far? Life without Shigsy would mean no Mario, Zelda or GC; it would eman gaming as a whole would be different; it would mean Sega were the main original game developers; the console war would be led by Sega; and the console war would be between Sony, Microsoft, Rare and Sega.

Weird.

Also, there would be no GBA. I'm sure that a different company would make handhelds though. Not Neogeo or anything. Maybe a developer like Konami would go into the business and make a handheld console or something. I'm sure of this one, but Shigsy made sure Nintendo were the best handheld makers.

The controllers would be all cheap takes on Playstation's one. They would all be heavy. The XBox would have it's same controller, but Rare and Sega's ones would be just like Sony's.

All consoles would be rectangular or square. 3D shapes would be far out of the question.

So, if Shigsy were not around:
- No Nintendo consoles
- No Mario or Zelda
- Gaming would be very different.
- Sega would lead the console war
- Rare would have a console
- A Konami handheld
- Imitation and heavy Controllers.
- Samey console design

Or, at least thats what i think.

What a man Shigsy is.
Fri 30/08/02 at 11:46
Regular
Your all Nintendo fans, (or spamming newbies), right?
So chances are you'll have heard the name Shigsy mentioned around the place. He's the main Nintendo man, and to my knowledge he created Nintendo (correct me if that was wrong)

But, what if Mummy & Daddy Shigsy never met? What if the name Shigsy was famous not for videogames but for being the star of a French comic book?

Firstly, there would be no Nintendo. No GC, No N64, No GBA, nothing. Mario and Zelda would not exist. Neither would any Pikmin, Super Smash Bros or anyhing like that. It seems a hard prospect to consider, but there wouldn't even be NES.

NES changed the shape of videogames quite dramatically. It's a legendary machine, and is referred to when many classic games are mentioned. Would that mean that without Nintendo, the gaming industry would be very different to what it is now? It's a possibility, at least.

The console war would be much different. Sega is the next best thing to Nintendo, so the console war could be XBox Vs PS2 Vs Sega Machine (Maybe Dreamcast). I think XBox and PS2 would be very short of fresh ideas due to no-one to create new genres. Sega would make something, then PS2 and XBox would copy it. That means, that maybe, just maybe, if there was no Shigsy Sega would be winning the console war. Just maybe.

Rare would probably either be developing multi-format, or have been brought by either Sega or Sony. Also, judging by Rare's talent, they might have enough ideas to release there own mini-console, and make there own games for it.

So, so far? Life without Shigsy would mean no Mario, Zelda or GC; it would eman gaming as a whole would be different; it would mean Sega were the main original game developers; the console war would be led by Sega; and the console war would be between Sony, Microsoft, Rare and Sega.

Weird.

Also, there would be no GBA. I'm sure that a different company would make handhelds though. Not Neogeo or anything. Maybe a developer like Konami would go into the business and make a handheld console or something. I'm sure of this one, but Shigsy made sure Nintendo were the best handheld makers.

The controllers would be all cheap takes on Playstation's one. They would all be heavy. The XBox would have it's same controller, but Rare and Sega's ones would be just like Sony's.

All consoles would be rectangular or square. 3D shapes would be far out of the question.

So, if Shigsy were not around:
- No Nintendo consoles
- No Mario or Zelda
- Gaming would be very different.
- Sega would lead the console war
- Rare would have a console
- A Konami handheld
- Imitation and heavy Controllers.
- Samey console design

Or, at least thats what i think.

What a man Shigsy is.
Fri 30/08/02 at 12:13
"Darkness, always"
err, I don't think he created Nintendo. He is however, their biggest name in game design.

Nintendo would have existed without him, however, history would likely read very differently without his influence.
Fri 30/08/02 at 12:17
Regular
Knew there was something wrong.
Fri 30/08/02 at 12:24
Regular
In actual fact he isn't even head of Nintendo, he is just a games designer...

If he hadn't of made Donkey Kong for game and watch there might not have been a Nintendo home console but hey that is just a maybe. Nintendo began back in the 1880's as well. Also shigsy didn't make Super Smash Brothers... Hal did but there wouldn't be Mario, Luigi etc... just Samus, Kirby, Captain falcon and characters we would never of dreamt of.
Fri 30/08/02 at 16:21
Regular
1880's... cor!

:-)

*I know it's an error*
Fri 30/08/02 at 17:28
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Without Nintendo, SONY and even Microsoft may have never even seen the need to enter the Console Wars in the first place!

Ninty and SONY were of course set to work together on a SNES CD add-on back in the day, but after some big dissagreements, the giants of Entertainment Products decided to go solo and show Nintendo that they don't need their big name reputation, experience, and all Shigsy's valuable knowledge.

I'm sure that they would've made it one day (seeing as they have just about every other area covered), but without Nintendo, we may have never even played the original Resident Evil series or Crash Bandicoot!
Just think of how many great games we love today may have never existed... Frightening, eh!

I'm not really sure about Bill Gates and co. though...
They were always PC people as we know, but PC's have grown into Games Machines vastlty aswell as being simple Office Appliances, all suring the last decade or so with the likes of Doom.

I was thinking about doing a topic on this myself - "Without Nintendo" I was gunna call it. But you beat me to it.
Fri 30/08/02 at 17:33
Regular
Solskjær wrote:
>
>
>
> I was thinking about doing a topic on this myself - "Without
> Nintendo" I was gunna call it. But you beat me to it.

You did without sega :-)

I was gonna call my topic that anyway, but I though I'd show off what little Nintendo knowledge I have by mentioning Shigsy.

Um... Fear me!
Sat 31/08/02 at 16:14
Regular
I don't think it would be THAT bad Asher D. Nintendo isn't one man, you know, it's loads of different divisions and there are shedloads of people with an imagination of Shigsy's calibur working at Ninty HQ. He's just head of design, and though the best games designer ever, Nintendo wouldn't have failed without him. The characters would be different, as they would have someone else in Mr Miyamoto's place, probably doing just as good a job.

The rest of Nintendo would have found a way to deal without him.
Sat 31/08/02 at 16:28
Regular
It was a bit over the top.

Just an incy wincy bit :-)
Sat 31/08/02 at 23:40
Regular
Asher D wrote:
> 1880's... cor!
>
> :-)
>
> *I know it's an error*

No it wasn't an error. Nintendo began in the late 1880's making cards.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.