GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playstation Experience Review"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/08/02 at 23:59
Regular
Well hello everyone. I just recently got back from the excellent Playstation Experience event organised by Sony.I must say that I had a great day and I will take my hat off to Sony for making this a very very enjoyable event. Anyway more to the point...games..Yes, lots of them. Games wherever you look really. And i got to play quite a lot of them. And I hope my little desription can be good enough for anyone who wanted to know about these latest releases.

WWF SMACKDOWN! SHUT YOUR MOUTH:

The first game I played at the show really. Only two matches were available-Single and Tag matches but 4 controllers allowed us for some frantic 4 man action. The graphics look better than ever with entrances being more and more detailed.Triple H looks amazing and the lighting that accompanies the entrances is also superb.Only about 7-8 characters were available including Brock Lesnar, Hulk Hogan and RVD.The animations are fantastic and the moves look better than in any previous Smackdown game. All the signature moves are recreated well and apart from the Rock's DDT which looks like something taken out of a Capcom vs SNK game (he flicks the guy high in the air and drops him on his head-its not as good as the Smackdown 3 DDT).The referee does not yet seem to be doing everything he will do in the final version-often freezing in one spot and failing to count the pinfalls. When he does get round to it, he comes alive, runs quickly towards you and starts counting (rather slowly) right next to you. I was pleased to see that the ref also stays down MUCH MUCH longer if you hit him-and only after ONE HIT-superb.He wasnt very interested in trying to make the guy who isnt tagged in leave the ring-he only done that randomly when he felt up to it. BUt this is to be fixed surely.The crowd is now 3D as far as I can see-you cannot fight in the crowd though. THey wield various signs but sometimes follow prescribed routines (fling sign up every 3 seconds etc). No backstage areas were available.You can go on the railings though and perform moves from there. I got Pedigreed on the announcers table which didnt break unfortunately..There was no sound or it must have been very very quiet because I didnt hear anything-so I cant comment on crowd reactions etc. ALl in all this looks absolutely superb.

PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2:

Because of some idiotic behaviour from a bunch of fat old (I shouldnt really swear so Ill try to contain myself) ....men, I was unable to even get close to playing the game. One pair put the match length on 25 MINUTES-totally ruining everyones chances to get a game.Nevertheless, I did manage to see quite a lot of action. OK, the graphics dont look drastically different from Pro EVo 1, but the animations for players are much smoother and the game looks even more realistic because of it.Moves are great, with some close control being easily achieved and a number of deceiving trick moves available.Passing and shooting is smooth as usual.I have noticed that the games are much more open-ended now with the player having a lot more space to run to.Computer AI also looks better than ever with defenders backing off and not charging at you at full speed leaving areas of their half totally exposed. Keepers are great too with even close range shots now being saved superbly by the goalkeepers. From what I saw, its possible to score much better goals on this than the previous instalments and when they are scored, it actually feels as if you have done something good in building up to the goal.Crowd chants are now clearer than in the first game and the crowd look better as well.When you are fouled, your player can fall over in variey of fashions and not start writhing in pain when you tapped him on the shoulder.I believe you can now be fouled in the air when fighiting for aerial balls.Everything seems to be in order here and it said that it will be released in November.

TIMESPLITTERS 2:

I managed to have a decent 4 player match on this with one of the guys from the developers standing next to us answering our questions as we played. The levels look great with different themes corresponding to different timezones. Characters look even wackier than ever and I was actually monkey in that game.The level we played had a lack of decent guns on offer-a superb rocket launcher and a flamethrower were the best weapons while the Minigun is much more difficult to use (you have to hold down the fire button to let it charge up and then release to fire or something along those lines).Firing effects look great though.It is now much harder to kill opponents and just hitting him with a couple of shots WILL NOT kill them-it now can take up to even 15 seconds to just dispose of one single enemy. The game is supposed to be slightly slower than the original to apparently slow down the pace and reduce the amount of confusion according to that guy, but it didnt spoil anything-I found it fast, furious and fun (hehe, that worked well).Nothing else really, its looking very very good indeed.

TOMB RAIDER:THE ANGEL OF DARKNESS:

Only had a quick go but it seemed pretty good. The location was dark and moody but very well detailed. All the usual moves were there but were somewhat difficult to implement-its frustrating when you climb a crate and want to immediately jump out to a ledge-i gave up after about 10 tries. Lara looks detailed and slick. I didnt get a gun at the start of the level and I had to lure the guard who was outside the main door into the little patio I was in and then jump out of the window and continue on my journey. If the guard sees you, its game over and you see a neat screen of a newspaper with a headline "Murderer found" or something like that. Rain effect was quite cool and the dog chained up to the wall was quite upset when I came by.There were a couple of characters that I was supposed to interact with but I didnt really know what to do.Graphics are very good and the game had a very atmospheric feel to it.Looks pretty good

COLIN MCRAE RALLY 3:

Thats what I call a rally game.I done a full stage in the Japan (which more looked like UK) and it looked absolutely amazing. The rain effects that many of you saw on various video clips in magazines look even better when you are playing the game-the rain drops impare your vision but really make the game look realistic.The cars have a very impressive damage model-I managed to get all my windows smashed in no time.There are many little details like a tractor in the field or a barn with tools in it.Barriers prevent you from going off the track and if you stray too far, the game resets you back on the track.First I thought the handling wasnt too good, but I soon realised that the handling has a direct connection to the surface you are racing on. It is VERY easy to skid out if you hold the brake button for too long on a wet track.Graphics are really good and the game just feels like any rally game should feel. There are gonna be 56 tracks in 8 different countries according to the demo.

RATCHET AND CLANK:

Now I didnt think this is gonna be anything special when I read baout it and saw a few clips.But when I played it, I really really enjoyed it.It resembles Jak and Daxter in pretty much everything-cutesy graphics, varying locations and cool moves.The graphics are very good, the game uses bright colours like most platform games do and it just looks lovely.You can link a fair few combos together to get rid of the enemies or use one of many gadgets or weapons that you get throughout the levels.You have to complete certain taks to progress in the game, but I just wondered around aimlessly killing baddies and jumping around.I cant really say anything bad about this game,apart from that it is too much like Jak and Daxter. Its fun but not very original

HAVEN:CALL OF THE KING:

That again is quite similar to Jak and Daxter but admittedly it doesnt look as good as J & K or Ratchet and Clank.I just kept getting the dejavu feeling when playing this game and R&K.Nothing particularly wrong with this either but it aint all that some magazines said it would be.

ONIMUSHA 2:

It was already translated into English so it cannot be that far away from release here. The graphics are really really nice and the characters look really good.The main action happens in the village and the nearby forrest and a mine.All look very nice and the water effects are superb.There are quite a lot of enemies who pop up and it is slightly complicated to switch between your opponents when they surround you.I just didnt feel the control system was responsive enough.But the combos are quite good, the special moves that ebcome available when you gather enough souls are very nice too.Camera is pretty much the same as in teh first game-it stays fixed and switches rapidly when you move to a new location.It looked like it was near its PAL release and it played quite well.I didnt find it fast enough though-Devil May Cry is a much more fluent and responsive game while this is slightly more sluggish at times.Still was pretty good.

KINGDOM HEARTS:

As many of you know this is a hybrid of Squaresoft games and Disney cartoons.The two companies have done a great job with loads of familiar characters appearing alongside new ones.THe fighting system is very good and is in real time unlike FF games.It is quite satisfying to hack down the baddies here.Magic is also included and familiar FF spells such as Firaga and Blizzaga make an appearance (I actually came across some portal and as far as I know I chose a spell that I wanted to learn and it automatically appeared in my Magic inventory).Locations are quite nice but the graphics are not the best I have seen today. The only problem I found quite irritating is that I was forced to watch a cut-scene almost every 20 seconds-and I couldnt skip them either.I dont mind having a couple of nice FMV (the game's Intro is astounding-looks unbelieavably good)but sometimes it can get a bit too much.Fortunately I was able to skip through normal in-game dialogue quickly.The game looks very very good and is a fine example of a RPG/Action mix.I was accompanied by 2 other characters-Goofy and some lanky goblin guy who helped me dispose of the enemies. Anyway it looks very promising

TONY HAWKS 4:

Nothing really special here.New locations, new challenges, same formula. The time is gone and appears when you do individual challenges leaving you with enough time to practise.Graphics look good enough and levels are quite densely populated.Nothing we havent seen before though.

HITMAN 2:

I was quite excited about this game before I played it today.The graphics are glitchy at times and your view can get impaired by some big planks of wood. Control is a bit dodgy-Hold L2 to run plus keep using analogue sticks to run and change direction-not easy to get used to. You get enough hints when you approach items but you dont have to follow any instructions-you can just finish the level any way you want.You get some nice items along the way and according to different magazines you keep them all in your inventory even after the level is finished. It doest look to different to SYphon Filter series on PSone and it isnt bad-just the control system that needs some work.

FIFA 2003:

I unfortunately only had a brief look at it, but the graphics looked very very good-passing was better than last season and the players looked well animated. I was surprised how quickly EA released a playbale demo since PSM2 only revealed it in the last month's issue.

The above games are really the ones many wanted to know about. But you may be surprised to hear that they were overshadowed (in my opinion anyway) by 2 games that were next to each other in the far corner of the place and was strictly over 18 years old-noone asked us for any ID-I guess I do look quite mature :) ANyway more to the point

SOCOM:US NAVY SEALS:

I dont know why this was in the 18+ section but I doubt it is an X rated game. Anyway, there were 8 screens next to each other and we ALL enjoyed an I-Link play of that great game. 4 screens were devoted to SEALS and 4 were given to the terrorists.You have a vast array of options at your disposal that all come in quite useful-due to the lack of the head-sets, we could command each other using a simple menu accessible with a press of CIRCLE and a couple of scrolls to the needed command-unfortunately it does take some time that you need to spend concentrating on the game-I almost got shot while trying to command someone to cover my backside for a laugh.There was no slowdown whatsoever but mind you this wasnt Online play even though the guys there set up a room in the Online section of the game.The locations are nice enough and the action is very fun-it is very exciting to hunt down the opposition and it isnt too complicated to get a few kills inder your belt. The only problem is that once you die, you CANNOT REJOIN THE GAME until the END of the current round (ie when one team triumphs).This is good because it makes you think hard about your every move but can get frustrating if someone shoots you with a sniper rifle at the beginning of the game.The game did crash a couple of times but the guys had it going again pretty quickly.One of them answered my questions and told me that the game will be available BEFORE the necessary hardware will be in the UK shops.So, subsequently he said we will be able to play this game properly, online, around this time next year-so it is quite a long wait.BUt believe me, its worth it-the game plays nicely and the range of guns is impressive.Of course the SEALS have access to different weaponry than the terrorists who annoyingly seem to have some tasty firearms.I had 2 long goes on the game and I truly enjoyed it. Look out for this one.

And now I will come to what in my view was the game of the show.It may raise a few eyebrows here, but me and others were really really impressed with this game. And that game happens to be...

MORTAL COMBAT:DEADLY ALLIANCE:

Now, cmon admit it-Mortal Combat was one of the best games on the Megadrive. It had everything-cool characters, gore and superb moves. After the series going downhill, not many thought it would be back at all. Butnow it is back, and I can say that this is AMAZING.The characters look unbelievably good with them moving so realistically-their limbs can be seen moving in all sorts of different ways and they look incredibly authentic.Each character has a lot of great moves that can inflict quite a lot of damage on your opponents. Each character has 2 fighting styles-hand on combat with you using your fists and feet to beat up your opponent.Then a simple press of L1 prompts your character to get out a weapon and his moves change accordingly-one minute you can be performing incredible kicks, and the next hacking and slashing your opponent in the air. This is the fastest beat'em I have seen for ages-Tekken seems SO SLOW compared to this. The locations are superb with detailed backdrops that look awesome. I think you are able to smash your opponent into walls because I think Ive done it on a couple of occasions (I think because its hard to see when the action is that fast).Its pretty easy to get into-my button bashing looked truly spectacular and game me a perfect KO in my first go. You only then realise you have to be more thoughtful in your approach if you want to win-using a combination of fists and weapons is a great idea and brings a tactical feel to the game. Blood pools and chunks of flesh (I think) are scattered after every connecting shot and characters leave bloody footprints on the floor that do not disappear after a few seconds-blood stays there for the rest of the round.It totally blew me away-this is really really good-you have 5 different attacks per each technique-thats 10 in all-and you can make up some trly fascinating combos in seconds. Move over Tekken because this is looking to be the king of beat em ups. I really cant wait for this game-and its only about 60% complete.Amazing.

There were of course many more games at the show-some that I just had a chance to have a look at, and some I have played but didnt find interesting enough. The entertainment was also provided on a big center stage-a number of bands performed live, games competitions were held for great prizes, breakdancing display was impressive and the Half-pipe was a delight to all BMXrs and Scaters outside the arena.One of the best things though was the display by 2 guys-one of them was Ronaldo's body double in the recent Nike Football adverts. Both possesses some truly amazing ball skills and their juggling woved everyone. The things they have done with the ball were unbelievable-they then let any volunteers play with the ball and show their "skills". I too had a little kickabout. All in all this was an amzing show.Considering its the first of its kind here in the UK, I must admit Sont have done a marvellous job to organise this.Everyone who attended got a goodybag with loads of cool stuff-including playable demos of Tekken 4, Timesplitters 2 and videos of many great new games.

I have really enjoyed it and I would probably come back to have a go on few more games and get a proper go on the ones I played. I would advise anyone to attend this event next year if you do not already have the tickets for the next 2 days. Its truly brilliant.

If you have any questions about anything-especially the games, feel free to ask them and Ill do my best to answer your queries.
Sun 01/09/02 at 01:06
Regular
"Hmmm....."
He's obviously referring to me.

;-D
Sun 01/09/02 at 00:12
Regular
"You Bum!!"
And what one of all those super highly educated people on this forum would you be referring to?Me perhaps?Or Pro Evo?Or maybe Ortega or someone else .....hmmmm.You said intelligent.That rules you out then..Hmmmm I am still wondering who it is :S
Sat 31/08/02 at 23:40
Regular
"Don't Mess Yourself"
Triple_H wrote:

> Sigh....There is always one isnt there.....

Always is one what, intelligent person among idiots.
Sat 31/08/02 at 23:34
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Not yet...maybe next year. This year it's just at Earles Court for 3 days to tie in with the ECTS show then that's it.
Sat 31/08/02 at 17:53
Regular
Not held in any other places then?
Sat 31/08/02 at 17:48
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Earls court London (check out my experience thread in FOG chat: 'Yup I was at the Playstation experience...who wants to touch me?')

It was its first time and hopefully many more will follow...
Sat 31/08/02 at 17:45
Regular
Where are the "Playstation Experience" shows held?
Sat 31/08/02 at 14:18
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Ticket £8, the experience...priceless
Sat 31/08/02 at 00:02
Regular
"WWJD"
quite cheap then
Fri 30/08/02 at 23:43
Regular
"You Bum!!"
£8 a ticket-I was a 23rd person to get my ticket for that sessions. Out of the thousands :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.