GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question for PC BOFFS"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/08/02 at 19:16
Regular
Basically i was thinking today (thats how bored i get at work), SIMMS (single inline memory modules) are 16 bit this is why you need to use them in pairs, dimms (dual inline memory modules) are 32 bit (like the cpu bus) so these are only needed singular, also i believe that rambus memory is also 16 bit (unless it is the PC4600 which is 32 bit) this is why they have to be paired, so what sort of ram do you need for a 64 bit cpu? do you need 2 32bit modules?.

c.b.
Sat 31/08/02 at 10:41
Well done Garin!
Fri 30/08/02 at 17:31
Regular
Very clever indeed Garin, it is indeed more to do with the Architecture of the Northbridge chip than the CPU itself, hence why a PS2 128bit CPU can run with merely 32bit RAMBUS memory!!

Go to the top of the class!!

;)
Fri 30/08/02 at 17:28
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Personally I don't really care how much or how little Turbo knows about anything, sadly he does. Every thread to him is some kind of contest to prove how much he knows, given that he feels the need to be dismissive and contradictive of anybody else replying because they are the "competition". The end result is that he shows very little respect for other people or their opinions. And of course, he'll make stuff up, or post vague answers (as in the post here) to keep up appearances.
Ah well, I can live with it. :)

But to answer the question...
Its more to do with the architecture around the CPU than the chip itself I think. Each bank needs to be 64-bit in total to support 64-bit memory addressing I would guess. Whether thats 2 32-bit or 4 16-bit etc. depends on the chipset. (*cough* yes that would make Turbo's answer incorrect :> ). Easy enough to check out specs of Itanium servers (for example) though to check.
Fri 30/08/02 at 17:12
Regular
Hehe, Turbonutter doesn't know everything ;)
Fri 30/08/02 at 17:11
Regular
"How Handy."
Your a mini disc? go you..
Fri 30/08/02 at 17:07
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Wouldn't that imply I'm a MD or something though?
Fri 30/08/02 at 15:57
Regular
""
brown nose
Fri 30/08/02 at 14:54
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
I think it might actually be true that, with the exception of finding a way to stop his mum turning off his noisy PC, Turbonutter really does know everything there is to know about computers.
Fri 30/08/02 at 14:52
Regular
""
Whooo! wrote:
> Not jealous at all, just a little bored of him, especially his ability
> to answer questions he knows naff all about and get them totally
> wrong.

uh-huh.
Fri 30/08/02 at 12:58
Regular
Whooo! wrote:
> Not jealous at all, just a little bored of him, especially his ability
> to answer questions he knows naff all about and get them totally
> wrong.

It seems your tagline is correct...as I (yes, me, DW, not you) am with stupid (*points at Whooo!*)

;c)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.