GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GAMES.....ARE THEY TOO SHORT!!??!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/08/02 at 14:55
Regular
I will only buy a game if I'm confident that it'll last for a long time. If there's anything that I really hate, it has to be when I buy a game and finish it the next day or even on the same day. The only real exception to this rule has to have been Pikmin for the Gamecube, which although I completed it the very next day that I bought it on, I (strangely) keep going back to play it. What gets at me, is the lifespan of games, and why developers try to put things in to make you play a game for longer.

In a typical racing game, there will be a number of different championships ranging from easy to hard. Completing any will give you the 'ending' credits, but what really annoys me is that to technically 'finish' the game, you have to race every championship just to unlock a crappy little worthless car (worthless because you won't use it - you've just finished the game completely). It could be a jolly old laugh if it wasn't for the lazy developers. What am I talking about? The fact that each 'championship' is exactly the same albeit with one extra track and harder AI. My idea of fun is definitely not repeating the same racing process continuously while then later being continuously beaten by cheating AI. The only exception would have to be Toca Race Driver for the PS2. It's different because something different always happens + the AI will crash on it's own. Developers need to put a bit of ingenuity into extending a game's lifespan.

Unlockable extras aren't fun to get, and aren't a worthy prize. Take Wave Race Blue Storm for example - I spent literally days perfecting the expert tracks in Time Trial, only to find that when I did finish them I unlocked a course which was bland, boring and most importantly a 'lunchtime' track which could have been put together in a meager few minutes. This annoyed me, and I generally tend to stop playing a racing game when it starts to require a great deal of practice - the rewards just aren't worth it.

But cheeky developers don't just con you into replaying over and over again in racing games, it happens in all genres. Whether that be with the frankly aweful 'collect the dog tags' of Metal Gear Solid 2, or the 'use a different sphere grid' of Final Fantasy X; I don't want to replay a game which only offers a few minor changes the second time round and in Final Fantasy X it takes around 35 hours to complete. I want a different challenge the second time - not harder AI and different abilities.

I could almost predict that developers expect you to play the game again, judging by how short they're tending to make the game the first time round. I've come to accept Final Fantasy games as gargantuan - my timer is on over 100 hours on Final Fantasy 8 - but on Final Fantasy 10 I'm only on about 27 hours, and I guarantee that within 35 I could finish the games. Although, picking on FF is a bit harsh considering that the main game is still triple that of many others. Added to that, there are still plenty of mini-games for me to enjoy along the way.

In fact, I think that mini-games are probably the most satisfying unlockable extra. Super Monkey Ball had three brilliant mini-games to unlock, which on their own could account for a fairly decent game. Anything from simple slot machines, a card game or simulation of a simple sport could add hours of extra lifespan and make up for the length of the proper game. I said earlier that I finished Final Fantasy 8 in over 100 hours, but that's only with the added fact that I completed every mini-game including the queen of cards quest. To finish the actual game would have taken less than half this time.

But its only worth making these extras available if people are going to play them. Putting something special at the end of a game like Final Fantasy will result in very few people actually getting it - although I doubt that anybody who owns FF10 won't want to finish the game but thay don't increase th difficulty of the game as you progress. The enemy's are as easy at the end as they are at the start.. Unlockable extras have to be brilliant unlockable extras if its the main aim of the player.

That said, giving a meager extra few vehicles is pathetic. As I said earlier, who's going to want to use a 'special' car if you've just finished the game. Extra challenges using this special car would be a brilliant extra, ok so you might use them in Multiplayer, but not all games have a Multiplayer mode. That really makes me mad, Every game should have a Multiplayer mode, but I think that developers feel satisfied with giving you something to unlock.

And then comes the case of cheat codes. If I had been able to unlock the final track in Wave Race via cheat codes, there is no way on this earth that I would have persisted with learning the racing line inside out. With the very commonplace use of cheat codes in loads of games, finishing it properly starts to become something of a joke. Especially if a cheat code offers special modes and extra abilities. If any developer with common sense had decided to give the effects of these cheat codes as rewards for completing the game, it would have meant people wanting to finish the game, not having to download cheat codes and enter a combination of button presses.

That said, Japanese developers trust the stereotype that western gamers don't finish their games. If this was truly the case, I'd accept it as a reason for the petty rewards on completion. And its only with determination that you can complete a game properly. It Is more rewarding to yourself completing a game honestly than using a cheat, and I know for sure that if there was a true, large and special thing to unlock at the end of a game, it would mean plenty more completees, and purchasers of future sequels.

And despite the fact that replaying Final Fantasy X means I can use a different sphere grid, I'm still going to anyway. And the simple reason is, because the game is totally brilliant anyway. I'm in no doubt that people will replay Metal Gear Solid 2 for the wealth of things to do. But in mediocre games, or ones which are just plain frustrating, no ample reward will result in no replaying.

And unlocking 'mirror mode' is the lamest excuse for an unlockable extra that I've ever seen. And yes, that includes Luigi's Mansion and nearly every racing game.

PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU FEEL.....
Thu 29/08/02 at 16:12
Regular
"Stay cool Dudes"
WELL....

GOODBYE EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thu 29/08/02 at 16:07
Regular
"Stay cool Dudes"
I agree who cares who has made the best console
Thu 29/08/02 at 16:05
Regular
i hate these nintendo/sony/microsoft/sega extremists.
my console is better than your console
does it really matter which is best? its what you enjoy playing thats important...
Thu 29/08/02 at 16:04
Regular
"Stay cool Dudes"
true true
Thu 29/08/02 at 16:03
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> It's better than "drive around jaggie ridden circular courses in
> undamagaeble cars"
> At least Nintendo have imagination.

i would imagine gran t
Regular
hey gerrid, I'm not slagging off nintendo, I think they're great, but mario n64 kicks the cr*p outta luigis mansion anyday.
Regular
"Stay cool Dudes"
What games that
Thu 29/08/02 at 16:01
Regular
"bit of a brain"
It's better than "drive around jaggie ridden circular courses in undamagaeble cars"
At least Nintendo have imagination.
Thu 29/08/02 at 15:58
Regular
"Stay cool Dudes"
I know what you mean. How laim is that.
Thu 29/08/02 at 15:57
Regular
luigis mansion isnt too bad, but I think they're struggling for good ideas there. I mean, sucking up ghosts with a vacuum cleaner?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.