GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Battlefield: Bad Company - Online Ps3"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Battlefield: Bad Company'.
Mon 30/06/08 at 09:42
Regular
"THFC"
One of the most anticipated games so far for the Playstation, but have EA out done the monumental Call of Duty 4? Yes and No, while everyone will have their own opinion and preference, mine lays with Battlefield. Saying this, the graphics are not as good as Call of Duty and I find that EA have had a slow start on the server side of things. On Friday 27th (release date) there were hardly any games available for most the day and I experienced a fair bit of lag, as did friends of mine.

But the good news it that everyday since then it has gotten stronger and stronger! I have spent most the weekend on this game, battling through various maps and trying out some of the fantastic weapons that this game has to offer.

Gameplay
EA are one of the biggest in the games industry, and people expect nothing less than spectacular from them. I think they have done it again on this first person shooter, while I mentioned graphically it lacks what Call of Duty 4 had, only by a bit. The actual feel of the game creates a much better war atmosphere and gives the player a great sense of being part of modern warfare.

Shooting a gun sounds and reacts much more realistic than any FPS I have played before. The big unique selling point for Battlefield has to be the Swedish game engine that allows for around 90% of the environment you play in to be destroyed. While it is great fun using a tank to take down a building, it allows for much greater tactical gameplay, blowing up a wall to allow for a full on attack, or creating a hole to be used as a sniper point. It is a breath of fresh air into the FPS genre and one which will be around and developed further I am sure in the near future!

Gameplay – 9/10

Controls
Nothing worse than a good game with bad controls, because well it makes it not a good game, thankfully this is not the case with Battlefield: BC, very similar to most FPS you will play on modern consoles. L3 to run, L1 to aim, Square to reload etc etc.
It all works well and feels very comfortable which is a good thing especially as you will be playing this game for hours on end! As far as I am concerned there are no problems with the controls, flying a helicopter is tricky but then that just takes practice, and personally I like the fact not anyone can get in and cause havoc from the skies – creates a bit more realism and that you have to work harder to reap the benefits!

So no problems on the controls, it all works well like a German factory and feels more comfortable than an Ikea Sofa.

Controls – 10/10

Maps
The Maps in Battlefield are much larger than any online FPS I have played on the modern consoles, the introduction of vehicles is key for some levels just because running form one point to another would be a long task! The larger maps are filled with trees, buildings, lakes and bridges. Pretty much anything and everything you could want to hide behind to get them crucial sniper shots, or to dodge and weave between as you have an all out assault battle! I personally think that the Oasis map which was featured on the demo is the best, it’s bright, lots of various attack and defend possibilities, but this may just be because I know it best and in time grow to love all the maps as much.

Certain levels have mist, making visibility much harder, or have huge towers and factories making some guns a much better choice than others. Like the Shotgun, a one hit kill if close enough, as appose to the sniper rifle which takes time to sight and line up, not ideal for a close encounter!

I find some of the maps a bit too dark, and I much prefer a bright and open area. This is just personal preference and nothing wrong with the maps. I think there are only about 8 maps in total and I hope more are offered on download!

Maps – 9/10

Guns & Kits
A big factor and a great range are offered. From a pistol to a laser sighted missile. You will be spoilt for choice as you work your way through the many medals, trophies and patches that can be unlocked by using the guns and weapons in each kit.

As you gain levels by getting experience you will unlock new weapons, which means that you will be hooked on this game for even longer, trying to get all the weapons, healing items and anti tank missiles. Each gun has a range of abilities and strengths, as well as weaknesses. Finding the right gun and kit for your play style is an enjoyable process and you will find that you stack up the medals and achievements while you do it.

A personal favorite of mine is using the all embarrassing Knife! A one hit kill but allows you to steal that user’s dog tags which can later be viewed in your stats page. A humiliating death but a great way to take an enemy down.

Guns & Kits – 10/10

Overall
While nothing can be taken away from what Call of Duty has done to modern gaming, it set the standards and EA have raised the bar once more. A great FPS that I think will have a cult following and be around until the next installment. No game is perfect and the few flaws that can be found have to be expected as not everyone will like everything!

My only slight disappointment came in the form that only one mode on online play is available, but EA have put a message out saying more will be downloadable within the coming weeks / months, and they will be free. So not a real problem but a minor set back at the start.

You really should give this game a look if you like realistic war games. I am sure most of you have hear a lot about this game and I hope if you were sitting on the fence thinking about if you should get this game, then this review has helped you. Hope to see you on the Battlefield Soldier!

Overall – 9.5/10
Thu 03/07/08 at 08:10
Regular
"THFC"
Hopefully - within the first week of being online i have had two days where "No games could be found" - very annoying because i just want to play it so much.

Keep getting very frustrated trying to get some awards - and dying a lot in the process. But the trophy cabinet is getting full.
Tue 01/07/08 at 15:52
"possibly impossible"
Hopefully I'll get online with this and Smash Bros at some point this week. Hopefully when 2.4 is out tomorrow it'll be so much easier to organise a game.
Mon 30/06/08 at 09:42
Regular
"THFC"
One of the most anticipated games so far for the Playstation, but have EA out done the monumental Call of Duty 4? Yes and No, while everyone will have their own opinion and preference, mine lays with Battlefield. Saying this, the graphics are not as good as Call of Duty and I find that EA have had a slow start on the server side of things. On Friday 27th (release date) there were hardly any games available for most the day and I experienced a fair bit of lag, as did friends of mine.

But the good news it that everyday since then it has gotten stronger and stronger! I have spent most the weekend on this game, battling through various maps and trying out some of the fantastic weapons that this game has to offer.

Gameplay
EA are one of the biggest in the games industry, and people expect nothing less than spectacular from them. I think they have done it again on this first person shooter, while I mentioned graphically it lacks what Call of Duty 4 had, only by a bit. The actual feel of the game creates a much better war atmosphere and gives the player a great sense of being part of modern warfare.

Shooting a gun sounds and reacts much more realistic than any FPS I have played before. The big unique selling point for Battlefield has to be the Swedish game engine that allows for around 90% of the environment you play in to be destroyed. While it is great fun using a tank to take down a building, it allows for much greater tactical gameplay, blowing up a wall to allow for a full on attack, or creating a hole to be used as a sniper point. It is a breath of fresh air into the FPS genre and one which will be around and developed further I am sure in the near future!

Gameplay – 9/10

Controls
Nothing worse than a good game with bad controls, because well it makes it not a good game, thankfully this is not the case with Battlefield: BC, very similar to most FPS you will play on modern consoles. L3 to run, L1 to aim, Square to reload etc etc.
It all works well and feels very comfortable which is a good thing especially as you will be playing this game for hours on end! As far as I am concerned there are no problems with the controls, flying a helicopter is tricky but then that just takes practice, and personally I like the fact not anyone can get in and cause havoc from the skies – creates a bit more realism and that you have to work harder to reap the benefits!

So no problems on the controls, it all works well like a German factory and feels more comfortable than an Ikea Sofa.

Controls – 10/10

Maps
The Maps in Battlefield are much larger than any online FPS I have played on the modern consoles, the introduction of vehicles is key for some levels just because running form one point to another would be a long task! The larger maps are filled with trees, buildings, lakes and bridges. Pretty much anything and everything you could want to hide behind to get them crucial sniper shots, or to dodge and weave between as you have an all out assault battle! I personally think that the Oasis map which was featured on the demo is the best, it’s bright, lots of various attack and defend possibilities, but this may just be because I know it best and in time grow to love all the maps as much.

Certain levels have mist, making visibility much harder, or have huge towers and factories making some guns a much better choice than others. Like the Shotgun, a one hit kill if close enough, as appose to the sniper rifle which takes time to sight and line up, not ideal for a close encounter!

I find some of the maps a bit too dark, and I much prefer a bright and open area. This is just personal preference and nothing wrong with the maps. I think there are only about 8 maps in total and I hope more are offered on download!

Maps – 9/10

Guns & Kits
A big factor and a great range are offered. From a pistol to a laser sighted missile. You will be spoilt for choice as you work your way through the many medals, trophies and patches that can be unlocked by using the guns and weapons in each kit.

As you gain levels by getting experience you will unlock new weapons, which means that you will be hooked on this game for even longer, trying to get all the weapons, healing items and anti tank missiles. Each gun has a range of abilities and strengths, as well as weaknesses. Finding the right gun and kit for your play style is an enjoyable process and you will find that you stack up the medals and achievements while you do it.

A personal favorite of mine is using the all embarrassing Knife! A one hit kill but allows you to steal that user’s dog tags which can later be viewed in your stats page. A humiliating death but a great way to take an enemy down.

Guns & Kits – 10/10

Overall
While nothing can be taken away from what Call of Duty has done to modern gaming, it set the standards and EA have raised the bar once more. A great FPS that I think will have a cult following and be around until the next installment. No game is perfect and the few flaws that can be found have to be expected as not everyone will like everything!

My only slight disappointment came in the form that only one mode on online play is available, but EA have put a message out saying more will be downloadable within the coming weeks / months, and they will be free. So not a real problem but a minor set back at the start.

You really should give this game a look if you like realistic war games. I am sure most of you have hear a lot about this game and I hope if you were sitting on the fence thinking about if you should get this game, then this review has helped you. Hope to see you on the Battlefield Soldier!

Overall – 9.5/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.