GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming Bargain Hunt With David Dickinson."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/08/02 at 17:45
Regular
Antiques are an interesting business. Although I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between a genuine Victorian chair or spoon set from modern day replicas, the idea of selling of old junk or tat for a tasty profit is pretty cool. And whilst the idea of musty smelling old people talking about old cigarette card collections, rare 18th century coalscuttles, or tacky Victorian silver tea sets may seem dull and boring, antiques are starting to get a bit more interesting.
You see, nowadays, there is an ever-increasing market for toys, games and movie memorabilia; not necessarily really old things either, Star Wars toys for example will be fetching high prices in the next few years at auction houses. It’s quite surprising that you don’t really hear much about the subject of collectable video games, but I’m sure video game merchandise will be of similar collectable value in years to come.
Indeed, there are already many rare or collectable video games that sell for high prices, so because of this, I’ve called in my good old mate, ultra-bronzed diamond geezer, Lovejoy look-alike and video game fan, David Dickinson to give his thoughts on collectable video games.
We’ve somehow made a crudely constructed time machine, and have travelled foward 10 years in time to see what games will be collectors items in the future.
So get ready to get sifting and rummaging through the old junk in your loft, because with David’s help, you might discover that you’re holding on to a precious piece of gaming memorabilia that might be worth some cash in years to come...

After a bumpy time travel back in time in the cramped machine with only a copy of David’s “OK Magazine” and “Antique Collectors Weekly” for entertainment (and I told him not to eat that bean and broccoli curry for dinner), we arrived at “The 2012 Antique Video Games Collectors Show”, which was being held at the new Wembley Conference Centre, opposite the new national stadium (which was eventually finished in 2011).
In the future, video games finally became recognised as being “not too bad” amongst the general population, and so their popularity increased, and antique gaming merchandise became quite hot property, and many game fans sought after items of gaming goods from the golden age of gaming.
As we entered the centre, a group of people saw David and started cheering; apparently the ageing spiv becomes a cult figure in 2004, well I never!
He has many number one singles and albums, and even stars in a series of action movies (and he even played James Bond once too!). Instead of people dressing up as Elvis for a laugh/disco/wedding etc, they now slap on the St Tropez fake tan and dress up like David Dickinson.

Anyways, back to collectable video games.
Collectable video games can be divided into two distinct groups: “Retro” & “Rare”.

“Retro” items from the 1970’s, 1980’s and early 1990’s:
-Any items from the old or early days of video games, such as Pong machines, original arcade machines such as Space Invaders, Defender etc, Spectrums, Game & Watch, old Japanese consoles e.g. a boxed NES or original GameBoy.
-Old RARE Spectrum games when they were called “Ultimate Play the Game” e.g. Knightlore or SabreWulf, or older games that were released by games companies who eventually became big hitters in the industry (such as Coadmasters).
-Basically, pretty much any old gaming stuff you can find.

&

“Rare” items of gaming merchandise:
-Obscure Japanese games or games that didn’t get an official UK release, e.g. Mario RPG on the SNES.
-Limited edition consoles, such as the various limited edition PS2’s or GameBoy Advances.
-Rare games from companies who either have a cult status or who don’t produce games anymore. SNK games are a prime example, and are always sought after items.
-Consoles which had relatively short lifespans e.g. The Virtual Boy, Neo Geo, PC Engine, Atari Jaguar, Panasonic/Matsushita 3DO etc.
-Japanese Sega Saturn games have become pretty sought after things, with games like Panzer Dragoon, Nights etc being popular with fans and collectors.
-E.T on the Atari 2600 is probably quite rare as there’s that old story that most were buried in a desert in America as it would be cheaper to bury them than sell or destroy them. So if you have a copy, hang on to it.

And remember, all items are worth more money if they are in good condition and are still in their original (well kept) box/packaging.
As we see with old toy cars or Star Wars toys, collectors love boxes. Something that could sell without a box, but with a good condition box, it would sell for lots more, maybe even double the price.

As we walk around the conference centre we see lots of recognisable gaming merchandise, some from the 70’s, some from the 80’s and other stuff from the 90’s and 2k time, some items selling for pretty high prices.
David wanders over to one stand and sees a Neo Geo Pocket on display. It came out with not much advertising in the late 90’s with little or no public awareness, and consequently, not many were sold, despite it having some good games made by SNK. It’s pretty collectable here in the future, so if you have one, hang on to it as David has a hunch (only a small one mind)...a hunch meaning a feeling or an instinct as opposed to a dodgy back...that the Neo Geo Pocket will be worth lots more in the future.
The Nintendo Virtual Boy is also a favourite amongst collectors, many here are selling for high prices as the item is pretty rare, so again, if you have one of these, keep it safe.

Limited Edition box sets are always collectable. For example, the Metal Gear Solid PSone box set with the t-shirt, CD soundtrack, poster, dog tags etc is collectable if it’s in good condition with all the original items still inside.
We then see some copies of Samba De Amigo on the Dreamcast selling for quite a lot of money. Only a few thousand shipped in the UK, and if you didn’t snap them up quite quickly when they first came out, they were hard to come by later on.

Important game series that have made big impacts on gaming culture or are just important to the history of games, especially the Mario, Zelda, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear, Resident Evil games, (oh, and not forgetting the Army Men series :-D) will be worth something. So if you have a whole collection of all the Mario/Tomb Raider/Zelda games they will hopefully be worth quite a bit.

We then see the “pièce de résistance” of the show; a copy of Mario 64 signed by Shigeru Miyamoto.
Signed/autographed items fetch high prices as they are always unique things, and if the autograph is from a very highly regarded person, the skies the limit, e.g. a limited edition Metal Gear Solid box set signed by Hideo Kojima =£££.

Pokemon memorabilia won’t be worth much in the future as the market was flooded with a massive amount of merchandise when it first came out, and there’s so much of it around that it’s not scarce enough to be rare. But I’m sure some decent Pokemon items will be worth money in the future, as it was a popular cultural thing that showed the gaming history and trends of the time.
Plus, Pokemon won’t be as collectable as many people are more “collectable conscious” nowadays, with many keeping stuff in the boxes hoping it will be worth money in the future, but as so many people will do it, things like Pokemon and especially Star Wars Episode I & II toys won’t be worth as much in the future as the original Star Wars toys. (I admit it, like billions of other collectors, I bought lots of Episode I toys and have kept them in their boxes, hoping they'll be worth something in the future and they are gathering dust in a cupboard).

We arrive back home in 2002, with a good idea of what kind of gaming memorabilia and items will be sought after and worth money in the future (lets just say I’m off to quickly buy up all the Army Men games I can find as they will be hot collectors items).
Basically, David’s advice is to hold on to pretty much everything. Try to buy rare items now with the hope that they might be worth even more in the future.
If you have an old Spectrum, Atari 2600, NES, original GameBoy etc, just hold on to it.
There’s so much gaming memorabilia around, some of it won’t be worth anything in the future, but some will, so happy hunting and be lucky.
Who knows, we might even meet at “The 2012 Antique Video Games Collectors Show” :-D
Wed 28/08/02 at 17:45
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Antiques are an interesting business. Although I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between a genuine Victorian chair or spoon set from modern day replicas, the idea of selling of old junk or tat for a tasty profit is pretty cool. And whilst the idea of musty smelling old people talking about old cigarette card collections, rare 18th century coalscuttles, or tacky Victorian silver tea sets may seem dull and boring, antiques are starting to get a bit more interesting.
You see, nowadays, there is an ever-increasing market for toys, games and movie memorabilia; not necessarily really old things either, Star Wars toys for example will be fetching high prices in the next few years at auction houses. It’s quite surprising that you don’t really hear much about the subject of collectable video games, but I’m sure video game merchandise will be of similar collectable value in years to come.
Indeed, there are already many rare or collectable video games that sell for high prices, so because of this, I’ve called in my good old mate, ultra-bronzed diamond geezer, Lovejoy look-alike and video game fan, David Dickinson to give his thoughts on collectable video games.
We’ve somehow made a crudely constructed time machine, and have travelled foward 10 years in time to see what games will be collectors items in the future.
So get ready to get sifting and rummaging through the old junk in your loft, because with David’s help, you might discover that you’re holding on to a precious piece of gaming memorabilia that might be worth some cash in years to come...

After a bumpy time travel back in time in the cramped machine with only a copy of David’s “OK Magazine” and “Antique Collectors Weekly” for entertainment (and I told him not to eat that bean and broccoli curry for dinner), we arrived at “The 2012 Antique Video Games Collectors Show”, which was being held at the new Wembley Conference Centre, opposite the new national stadium (which was eventually finished in 2011).
In the future, video games finally became recognised as being “not too bad” amongst the general population, and so their popularity increased, and antique gaming merchandise became quite hot property, and many game fans sought after items of gaming goods from the golden age of gaming.
As we entered the centre, a group of people saw David and started cheering; apparently the ageing spiv becomes a cult figure in 2004, well I never!
He has many number one singles and albums, and even stars in a series of action movies (and he even played James Bond once too!). Instead of people dressing up as Elvis for a laugh/disco/wedding etc, they now slap on the St Tropez fake tan and dress up like David Dickinson.

Anyways, back to collectable video games.
Collectable video games can be divided into two distinct groups: “Retro” & “Rare”.

“Retro” items from the 1970’s, 1980’s and early 1990’s:
-Any items from the old or early days of video games, such as Pong machines, original arcade machines such as Space Invaders, Defender etc, Spectrums, Game & Watch, old Japanese consoles e.g. a boxed NES or original GameBoy.
-Old RARE Spectrum games when they were called “Ultimate Play the Game” e.g. Knightlore or SabreWulf, or older games that were released by games companies who eventually became big hitters in the industry (such as Coadmasters).
-Basically, pretty much any old gaming stuff you can find.

&

“Rare” items of gaming merchandise:
-Obscure Japanese games or games that didn’t get an official UK release, e.g. Mario RPG on the SNES.
-Limited edition consoles, such as the various limited edition PS2’s or GameBoy Advances.
-Rare games from companies who either have a cult status or who don’t produce games anymore. SNK games are a prime example, and are always sought after items.
-Consoles which had relatively short lifespans e.g. The Virtual Boy, Neo Geo, PC Engine, Atari Jaguar, Panasonic/Matsushita 3DO etc.
-Japanese Sega Saturn games have become pretty sought after things, with games like Panzer Dragoon, Nights etc being popular with fans and collectors.
-E.T on the Atari 2600 is probably quite rare as there’s that old story that most were buried in a desert in America as it would be cheaper to bury them than sell or destroy them. So if you have a copy, hang on to it.

And remember, all items are worth more money if they are in good condition and are still in their original (well kept) box/packaging.
As we see with old toy cars or Star Wars toys, collectors love boxes. Something that could sell without a box, but with a good condition box, it would sell for lots more, maybe even double the price.

As we walk around the conference centre we see lots of recognisable gaming merchandise, some from the 70’s, some from the 80’s and other stuff from the 90’s and 2k time, some items selling for pretty high prices.
David wanders over to one stand and sees a Neo Geo Pocket on display. It came out with not much advertising in the late 90’s with little or no public awareness, and consequently, not many were sold, despite it having some good games made by SNK. It’s pretty collectable here in the future, so if you have one, hang on to it as David has a hunch (only a small one mind)...a hunch meaning a feeling or an instinct as opposed to a dodgy back...that the Neo Geo Pocket will be worth lots more in the future.
The Nintendo Virtual Boy is also a favourite amongst collectors, many here are selling for high prices as the item is pretty rare, so again, if you have one of these, keep it safe.

Limited Edition box sets are always collectable. For example, the Metal Gear Solid PSone box set with the t-shirt, CD soundtrack, poster, dog tags etc is collectable if it’s in good condition with all the original items still inside.
We then see some copies of Samba De Amigo on the Dreamcast selling for quite a lot of money. Only a few thousand shipped in the UK, and if you didn’t snap them up quite quickly when they first came out, they were hard to come by later on.

Important game series that have made big impacts on gaming culture or are just important to the history of games, especially the Mario, Zelda, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear, Resident Evil games, (oh, and not forgetting the Army Men series :-D) will be worth something. So if you have a whole collection of all the Mario/Tomb Raider/Zelda games they will hopefully be worth quite a bit.

We then see the “pièce de résistance” of the show; a copy of Mario 64 signed by Shigeru Miyamoto.
Signed/autographed items fetch high prices as they are always unique things, and if the autograph is from a very highly regarded person, the skies the limit, e.g. a limited edition Metal Gear Solid box set signed by Hideo Kojima =£££.

Pokemon memorabilia won’t be worth much in the future as the market was flooded with a massive amount of merchandise when it first came out, and there’s so much of it around that it’s not scarce enough to be rare. But I’m sure some decent Pokemon items will be worth money in the future, as it was a popular cultural thing that showed the gaming history and trends of the time.
Plus, Pokemon won’t be as collectable as many people are more “collectable conscious” nowadays, with many keeping stuff in the boxes hoping it will be worth money in the future, but as so many people will do it, things like Pokemon and especially Star Wars Episode I & II toys won’t be worth as much in the future as the original Star Wars toys. (I admit it, like billions of other collectors, I bought lots of Episode I toys and have kept them in their boxes, hoping they'll be worth something in the future and they are gathering dust in a cupboard).

We arrive back home in 2002, with a good idea of what kind of gaming memorabilia and items will be sought after and worth money in the future (lets just say I’m off to quickly buy up all the Army Men games I can find as they will be hot collectors items).
Basically, David’s advice is to hold on to pretty much everything. Try to buy rare items now with the hope that they might be worth even more in the future.
If you have an old Spectrum, Atari 2600, NES, original GameBoy etc, just hold on to it.
There’s so much gaming memorabilia around, some of it won’t be worth anything in the future, but some will, so happy hunting and be lucky.
Who knows, we might even meet at “The 2012 Antique Video Games Collectors Show” :-D
Wed 28/08/02 at 21:07
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
David Dickinson is certainly a "Colourful" character to have an adventure with. Although being stuck in a time machine with the Tangerine faced cult figure, wouldn't be my idea of a good time. Especially now that the show has a prime-time slot.

However the collectibility of videogames is a hit and miss issue. Games that you would expect to be big collectors items because of their excellence are often the games that depreciate the most in value. For example, now that the N64 has gone out of production, the games had followed suite. The classic GoldenEye 007, is widely regarded as the piece de resistance of first person gaming, but on online auctions it sells quite poorly, often only for £5 or so.

Whether this situation will change in the future only time will tell, perhaps retro gaming will grasp Goldeneye by the throat and raise its value to what it should be.

We have beared witness to a large influx in the older consoles, indeed the NES has come on leaps and bounds in terms of collectability in recent weeks, however the value is beginning to wain, especially if you look at some of the packages on Ebay.

The virtual boy however is doing quite well at the moment, each unit selling typically for £80-£100, considering that it gives you headaches thats not too bad.

Probably the best seller is the PC engine, which you can expect to pay around £100 for, at least. I also beleive that the 64DD is very collectible, infact i havent even seen an auction for one, so that a pretty good indication of a value accumulator.
Fri 30/08/02 at 14:01
"smelly!!"
Well done AGAIN, you need to start claiming your game a day prizes mate. :)
Sun 01/09/02 at 18:54
Regular
"Bobba you"
Well done on the win well won.
Wed 04/09/02 at 00:16
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
Speaking of bargains I picked up a second hand Dreamcast on the weekend, man that machine has some cool games. Theyre dirt cheap too :-)

A great system for a gamer on a budget.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.