GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Surfing DNA..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/06/08 at 14:07
"Are you sure?"
Have you ever thought about the trail you leave behind as you surf the web?

As someone who runs various web sites it often amuses me what people do and makes me realise how most internet users don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes.

Lots of data is collected when a visitor views a website.
The main items being:

Browser and browser version.
Screen resolution, number of colours, etc.
Internet Provider and IP address.
Computer operating system and version. Java enabled, .net, etc.
Referrer - Where did they come from – search engine or entered the address directly? If they found the site by a search engine which one and what did they search for. Did they arrive from a link on another site?

Now none of these things directly relate to an actual person but together they make up a foot print or ‘DNA’ of an individual internet user. This is just the way the internet works so it’s the same for everyone. There are ways of hiding your details but normal surfers shouldn’t have to worry about having to do that as you will look pretty anonymous.

There is something to be aware of and avoid though.

I notice some internet providers let the customers use certain words from their account name to make up the address of the provider – people are often leaving their name and address on every website they visit – which in it’s self isn’t a problem but it’s not recommended!

Freeola ADSL users will just leave an ‘anonymous string’ for the provider address but some of the providers that make up your address using your account details give too much information away.

i.e. Some people display their name – mrsmith.provider.com etc. and others (individuals and businesses) will use “our-house.co.uk”, “company-name.com”, “nhs.uk”, “southampton.gov.uk”, “man.ac.uk” etc., etc.

If you are just leaving your employers address in website logs then the chances are that the worse that could happen is that you could embarrass your employer – but if you are leaving personal details surname/house name etc. then it could possibly be used for criminal purposes.

Just something to think about (or check) when you set up your internet connection…

Search Freeola Chat
Mon 11/05/15 at 20:50
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
Voice-in-my-head wrote:
[i]That's all very well - but how do I check to see what tracks I'm actually leaving when I visit a webpage?

Thanks.

Good question!
This page Surfing DNA shows you the details that website owners can view - IP Address, ISP, Operating System, Browser Screen size and referring web page.

I hope that helps :¬)
[/i]

So ... thanks for viewing my stats ... Hmmm is a spy;¬)
Mon 11/05/15 at 17:53
"Are you sure?"
Voice-in-my-head wrote:
That's all very well - but how do I check to see what tracks I'm actually leaving when I visit a webpage?

Thanks.

Good question!
This page Surfing DNA shows you the details that website owners can view - IP Address, ISP, Operating System, Browser Screen size and referring web page.

I hope that helps :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 09/05/15 at 22:41
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
:) yes you are....or have you upset a lot of people:? :)
I'm also on the electoral role....under E for Eccles....maybe.
Sat 09/05/15 at 20:51
"Are you sure?"
Fair enough.
Don't forget WHOIS though in case I'm seeing your real address.

I wouldn't like people to see those details for me - but I'm a worrier!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 09/05/15 at 20:41
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Well no, there are a lot more with my funny surname in the UK than you would think!
Sat 09/05/15 at 20:39
"Are you sure?"
Just checking you know you leave your actual name on every site you visit though?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 09/05/15 at 20:33
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I guess you're talking about the visit to your site from my connection? Not really an issue for me!
Sat 09/05/15 at 18:30
"Are you sure?"
This is a very old thread but probably more relevant today than when I first posted.

Internet privacy and security are have been in the news a lot in the last year.

I'm *bumping* this for @Eccles :¬)
Check your 'DNA' !!!

If you should need more details you know how to find me.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 25/01/12 at 18:40
"Are you sure?"
Old thread - but 'sort of' back in the news

I've been following today's O2 mobile phone number 'privacy' issue with interest. It reminded me of this old thread :¬)

To summarise; O2 customers viewing websites via O2's mobile service have been leaving their phone numbers on every website they've visited!

There are numerous blogs etc reporting this but here's a BBC News item.

...and here's O2's blog updates

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 09/08/08 at 18:48
"Are you sure?"
:¬) I knew 8/8/8 was lucky!

Thanks Freeola...

Search Freeola Chat

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.