GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 DVD Macrovision"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/08/02 at 15:00
Regular
I use my PS2 through a TV/Video combi and so when I play DVD's Macrovision kicks in. One of the major reasons I bought the PS2 was its DVD player built in. Is there a way to disable it without taking the PS2 to bits. Does Region X disable it, or are there special cables available. Thanks for any help.
Mon 26/08/02 at 15:00
I use my PS2 through a TV/Video combi and so when I play DVD's Macrovision kicks in. One of the major reasons I bought the PS2 was its DVD player built in. Is there a way to disable it without taking the PS2 to bits. Does Region X disable it, or are there special cables available. Thanks for any help.
Mon 26/08/02 at 15:18
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Region X disables it. It also beats the green screen problem when using a scart cable. I don't know why some PS2 owners haven't bought this yet... it's essential in my view.
Mon 26/08/02 at 20:35
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
I've never really understood what all this is about.

I bought my ps2, plugged it in the tv and everything works fine. why do some people have problems?
Tue 27/08/02 at 09:17
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
He has problems because his TV is combined with a VCR. The macrovision protection sees this as him trying to copy the DVD and distorts the signal.

If you are using the cable you got with your PS2, you are getting a crappy picture. You only get a really good picture with a scart cable, and that's where the green screen effect becomes a problem.

But if you're happy with the picture quality, why worry.
Tue 27/08/02 at 10:22
Regular
"  "
This method is Sony's rather rubbish way of stoping you from making good-quality recordings of DVD onto VHS. Its because you use the video lead when recording from DVD to VHS. So Sony made it so that whenever your using the video lead (RGB SCART cable) with a DVD it makes the screen go green. You can sort it out by using Blaze's DVD Region Free, or the DVD Region X.
Sat 31/08/02 at 01:07
Regular
Darwock wrote:
> Region X disables it. It also beats the green screen problem when
> using a scart cable. I don't know why some PS2 owners haven't bought
> this yet... it's essential in my view.

Region X disables green screen dvd playback. It enables a full RGB display when playing DVDs. However it doesn't disable macrovision. Macrovision is on the sync of the image. It basically makes the sync too poor to record but not so poor that a tv can't display it. However some tvs are macrovision sensitive and some videos are macrovision immune! To disable macrovision on a ps2 you need a dvd modchip or an external antimacrovision device. Macrovision is a bloody pain and who wants a naff vhs copy anyway when a dvd is broadcast quality. Macrovision is nothing but a nuisance and has created a pirate market for dvds because if you import dvds from china they are macrovision free. Also many tvs suffer from slight brightness variations when playing back dvds thanks to macrovision. Some 100hz tvs can be especially sensitive to macrovision especially when your watching a film and there are big explosions in the action scenes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.