GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nostalgia - a good feeling!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/06/08 at 09:30
Regular
"THFC"
On Saturday night whilst watching the football, I somehow managed to nab my girlfriend’s Apple Mac while she sat reading a book, enabling me to have some very enjoyable viewing! On the TV was football, on the Mac – Thundercats!
I had a real urge to watch Thundercats, I don’t know why, but I sat there and went through the first 4 episodes of season 1. It was like being a kid again, I had forgotten all about the wonders of watching this fantastic series, Liono and the rest of the Thundercats, doing battle against Mumra!
I think no matter how old we are, there is always going to be that small bit of you that loves the things you did when you was a kid, that’s why so many people buy and sell retro consoles on ebay, and why you will see constant remakes of old programmes and films (sometimes the remakes kill the programme!)

I know that the age of user on Gameaday varies, but I am sure we can all appreciate some of the fine 80’s/90’s cartoons which were a key part in our Saturday morning when growing up! When I think back I can remember all the Super Mario cartoons, the Zelda ones and even vaguely recall one about a boy with a NES controller he could use to control time and things!

Obviously it has been sometime since I watched the new generation of kids TV, but from what programmes I have heard of or seen advertised they do not seem as iconic as the old ones. The nostalgia comes down to a lot more than just TV – I mean Mario Bros 3 – just reminds me of when my brother and I used to play as Mario & Luigi going through the various levels, both trying to get to the mushroom hut because everyone wanted to get the power-ups!(I was always Luigi being the younger brother!)

When you think about it, children of this generation are going to look back at things like Call of Duty 4 and programmes like Spongebob as their nostalgic viewing/playing, it just seems weird, and while I do not have kids at the moment, in x amount of years will I be thinking that the music they are listening to is rubbish and that they should put some N-Trance or Prodigy on? Don’t know about anyone else but it seems funny when you think about it!

Well for the time being I am happy with my retro memories of Mario on the NES and the likes of Sharky & George on TV! It seems to be that retro is back in, so many T-shirts that I own or see other people wearing are that of Thundercats, Mario, Wacky Races etc etc. There is becoming a real market for retro and often some of the old classic games sell for more than the newer versions. Take the likes of Suikoden 1 and 2, they value for about £60-£80, which is ridiculous.

Look forward to hearing some of your views, like is aid some of us are of different ages and I think that its always fun to hear older / younger people’s nostalgic memories of games and TV!
Tue 24/06/08 at 13:19
Regular
"THFC"
hahaha - yea thats why i like doing the drinking, freedom and having money aspect, aswell as occasionally watching thundercats or some other childhood show!

I never played the game but saw some clips on youtube, man that looks like a boring game!

They should make a massive retro beat em up, roster including:
Thundercats
He-Man
Turtles
Large Marvel cast
DC cast

would be a great game, like marvel vs capcom but more characters
Tue 24/06/08 at 12:20
Regular
Hmmm I remember watching thundercats but it never stuck with me. Nostalgia for me was the old school X-men and Spiderman cartoons. They were my favourite "toons" Can't forget the Batman cartoon either. We were so over saturated with top quality cartoons growing up. They dealt with "grown-up" issues, rather than the poor quality cartoons that seem to be on now. Ohh how can I forget transformers and He-man too. I loved these shows soo much, plus Conan the barbarian that was awesome to.

Adulthood sucks (except the drinking partying freedom and other such activities that are associated with being and adult :p)
Tue 24/06/08 at 08:12
Regular
"THFC"
I think i am going to get me some random retro T-shirts, there are a few sites, but this one on ebay looks ok for the money you spend, aint bought one yet so don't know the quality - but have a browse as i found some great Mario ones and other classics!

Love this one

If the quality is good then i think i will be spending a lot of money, if you browse through there are a lot of great designs there
Mon 23/06/08 at 23:29
Regular
"Mooching around"
Mon 23/06/08 at 16:47
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
heh me either, i just made back ups of them anyway so if i ever want to go back and play them again then i have the option to. I just put the money i got from them towards a 360, nice nice.

There was a pac-man t-shirt once i saw in Toronto that i really liked, i wish i had bought it now :-(
Mon 23/06/08 at 15:03
Regular
"THFC"
Exactly, they are great games, i have had the fortune of playing both of them, but i would not pay that much for them unless i was very very well off!

But i mean places like HMV are making the retro t-shirts and they sell very well
Mon 23/06/08 at 14:47
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Emmie87 wrote:
> There is becoming a real market for retro and
> often some of the old classic games sell for more than the newer
> versions. Take the likes of Suikoden 1 and 2, they value for
> about £60-£80, which is ridiculous.

Yup, i sold my copies of them for 75 quid, lovelyness :-D
Mon 23/06/08 at 09:30
Regular
"THFC"
On Saturday night whilst watching the football, I somehow managed to nab my girlfriend’s Apple Mac while she sat reading a book, enabling me to have some very enjoyable viewing! On the TV was football, on the Mac – Thundercats!
I had a real urge to watch Thundercats, I don’t know why, but I sat there and went through the first 4 episodes of season 1. It was like being a kid again, I had forgotten all about the wonders of watching this fantastic series, Liono and the rest of the Thundercats, doing battle against Mumra!
I think no matter how old we are, there is always going to be that small bit of you that loves the things you did when you was a kid, that’s why so many people buy and sell retro consoles on ebay, and why you will see constant remakes of old programmes and films (sometimes the remakes kill the programme!)

I know that the age of user on Gameaday varies, but I am sure we can all appreciate some of the fine 80’s/90’s cartoons which were a key part in our Saturday morning when growing up! When I think back I can remember all the Super Mario cartoons, the Zelda ones and even vaguely recall one about a boy with a NES controller he could use to control time and things!

Obviously it has been sometime since I watched the new generation of kids TV, but from what programmes I have heard of or seen advertised they do not seem as iconic as the old ones. The nostalgia comes down to a lot more than just TV – I mean Mario Bros 3 – just reminds me of when my brother and I used to play as Mario & Luigi going through the various levels, both trying to get to the mushroom hut because everyone wanted to get the power-ups!(I was always Luigi being the younger brother!)

When you think about it, children of this generation are going to look back at things like Call of Duty 4 and programmes like Spongebob as their nostalgic viewing/playing, it just seems weird, and while I do not have kids at the moment, in x amount of years will I be thinking that the music they are listening to is rubbish and that they should put some N-Trance or Prodigy on? Don’t know about anyone else but it seems funny when you think about it!

Well for the time being I am happy with my retro memories of Mario on the NES and the likes of Sharky & George on TV! It seems to be that retro is back in, so many T-shirts that I own or see other people wearing are that of Thundercats, Mario, Wacky Races etc etc. There is becoming a real market for retro and often some of the old classic games sell for more than the newer versions. Take the likes of Suikoden 1 and 2, they value for about £60-£80, which is ridiculous.

Look forward to hearing some of your views, like is aid some of us are of different ages and I think that its always fun to hear older / younger people’s nostalgic memories of games and TV!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.