GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Back To The Future DVDs more extras revealed!!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/08/02 at 19:15
Regular
August 19, 2002
Bob Gale talks more R1 DVD extras

"They've saved the best trip for last..."

Just days after most Austrialian vendors began selling the R4 trilogy set a week before the previously announced street date of August 21, Bob Gale gives us further insight as to what we can expect on the U.S. release four months from now.

In my continued pursuance for news regarding the biggest event for BTTF fans in the past decade, famed Writer/Producer Bob Gale has graciously provided me with several tidbits of information over the course of several conversations — confirming several reports heard elsewhere regarding certain features.

After having recently reviewing the Australian release myself, naturally I had many questions for him regarding several things regarding this highly-anticipated release. First up, I asked about some of the specific features exclusive to the international release that won't be found on the domestic release:

"The international release has an additional DTS soundtrack, but we're dropping the DTS track for domestic because it gives us almost 30 more minutes of bonus material per disc. I did a comparison test between Dolby Digital and DTS and the differences are miniscule — if in fact there are any."

"No screen tests are included on the [domestic] DVDs. We had wanted to include a makeup test on Crispin, but Crispin...would not give permission."

Next, I was curious about some of the additional material that has been found since the International release had been "put to bed", as he puts it:

"We have been unearthing ZM [Zaloom-Mayfield Productions] footage; I had about 40 hours to go thru from Part 2, and hopefully they'll find the stuff from Part 3. ZM's Part 3 EPK was finally found, and a newly edited version of that will be on the Part 3 DVD. Material from profiles of Bob Z and Mary Steenburgen has been added into the original EPK (there was a lot of repetition in this material, so we made one version that had the best of everything with no repetition)."

"We've found the two missing deleted scenes we'd been looking for, as well as the full version of Doc's Suitcase (seen shortened in the Kirk Cameron "Secrets of the Back to the Future Trilogy" show) so the domestic version will have about 11 minutes worth of deleted and extended scenes — way more than the international version. We also found the extension in Part 3 where Doc offers Marty the gun [at the Drive-in parking lot]. We never found the disintegrating tires scene [from inside the Delgado mine]."

We've gotten a lot of inquiries about the commentaries for the R1 set, particularly about Michael J. Fox's commentary, as well as the screen-specific commentary Bob did with Neil Canton, so he elaborated on this a bit more:

"Michael's commentary — what there is of it — was recorded separately. It's only a small portion of Part 1."

"Neil Canton and I did scene-specific commentary for all three movies, and I did commentary on the deleted scenes — none of this is on the International versions. On this second commentary track, we tried to talk about things that didn't appear elsewhere on the set."

"Bob Z's commentary is the USC Q&A we did together a few months ago."

After seeing the International DVDs a couple weeks ago, I was curious about trailers for all three films, since there was only one for each film included on the International DVDs and knew about a second trailer rarely ever seen for the first film:

"There was a 90-second TV spot for Part 1 that ran on MTV which some people think was the theatrical trailer. It wasn't — we never had time to do a workable theatrical trailer because the release date got moved up on us. It's not likely that this 90-second spot will be on the DVD because we're running out of room!"

Also, a photograph found in the "Marty McFly Photo Album" on BTTF1 of Mr. Strickland seen inside his 1985 office sparked my immediate interest as to whether there was a deleted scene that this photo was taken from, particularly since we have many continuity Polaroids from this scene here on BTTF.com:

"This was only filmed with Eric Stoltz. It started with the classroom watching a documentary about nuclear testing (which was never filmed). When we recast, we rewrote the beginning of the movie to start in Doc's garage because it was cheaper to do and economically better story telling."

As indicated to us before, we unfortunately won't be seeing any Eric Stoltz footage on this release, so we won't be seeing this scene unique to the pre-Fox casting. However there are a few stills of Stoltz as Marty seen in the "Making the Trilogy: Chapter 1" documentary.

Speaking of the "Making the Trilogy" documentaries, I was particularly intrigued with the brief sight of the first draft for the script of BTTF2 ["Number 2"] seen in the second chapter of this wonderful documentary series, since I had never read that script before. The answer gives us our first indication of the planned online content:

"You will get to read that script because it will be available on Total Axess when the U.S. version is released."

Lastly, I was curious as to whether there was any material being considered for inclusion that hasn't yet been determined:

"I've suggested putting some behind the scenes material on the BTTF Ride in the package, and that's still up in the air — and dependent on how much more stuff we find. I think it would be nice to have something about the Ride in the set."

I couldn't agree more! It certainly appears that much more material has been collected for the domestic release, and while hard-core fans like myself will always be left wanting more no matter how much material is included, it seems that this set will certainly be bursting at the seams! Being 5+ years in the making, it seems that our lengthy wait will surely be worth it all.

Recently, BTTF.com staffer and occasional columnist Randy Atamaniuk had the rare opportunity to screen Bob's upcoming film Interstate 60 at the San Diego Comic Con earlier this month, as well as to speak briefly with him afterwards. Randy, whose review of I-60 will be posted soon, reports that Bob indicated to him that the U.S. DVDs are pretty much wrapped up and completed now, and that he is trying to convince the powers-that-be at Universal to include some of the spill-over material that won't fit on the three discs on a possible mail-order-only fourth disc. More on that as we learn it, so stay tuned...

-Taken from www.bttf.com

Sounds good, shame the region 2 release isn't till 2nd December but I can't wait.

Now where's that return form for my region 4 copy ;-)
res
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sun 25/08/02 at 19:15
Regular
"Back For Good"
August 19, 2002
Bob Gale talks more R1 DVD extras

"They've saved the best trip for last..."

Just days after most Austrialian vendors began selling the R4 trilogy set a week before the previously announced street date of August 21, Bob Gale gives us further insight as to what we can expect on the U.S. release four months from now.

In my continued pursuance for news regarding the biggest event for BTTF fans in the past decade, famed Writer/Producer Bob Gale has graciously provided me with several tidbits of information over the course of several conversations — confirming several reports heard elsewhere regarding certain features.

After having recently reviewing the Australian release myself, naturally I had many questions for him regarding several things regarding this highly-anticipated release. First up, I asked about some of the specific features exclusive to the international release that won't be found on the domestic release:

"The international release has an additional DTS soundtrack, but we're dropping the DTS track for domestic because it gives us almost 30 more minutes of bonus material per disc. I did a comparison test between Dolby Digital and DTS and the differences are miniscule — if in fact there are any."

"No screen tests are included on the [domestic] DVDs. We had wanted to include a makeup test on Crispin, but Crispin...would not give permission."

Next, I was curious about some of the additional material that has been found since the International release had been "put to bed", as he puts it:

"We have been unearthing ZM [Zaloom-Mayfield Productions] footage; I had about 40 hours to go thru from Part 2, and hopefully they'll find the stuff from Part 3. ZM's Part 3 EPK was finally found, and a newly edited version of that will be on the Part 3 DVD. Material from profiles of Bob Z and Mary Steenburgen has been added into the original EPK (there was a lot of repetition in this material, so we made one version that had the best of everything with no repetition)."

"We've found the two missing deleted scenes we'd been looking for, as well as the full version of Doc's Suitcase (seen shortened in the Kirk Cameron "Secrets of the Back to the Future Trilogy" show) so the domestic version will have about 11 minutes worth of deleted and extended scenes — way more than the international version. We also found the extension in Part 3 where Doc offers Marty the gun [at the Drive-in parking lot]. We never found the disintegrating tires scene [from inside the Delgado mine]."

We've gotten a lot of inquiries about the commentaries for the R1 set, particularly about Michael J. Fox's commentary, as well as the screen-specific commentary Bob did with Neil Canton, so he elaborated on this a bit more:

"Michael's commentary — what there is of it — was recorded separately. It's only a small portion of Part 1."

"Neil Canton and I did scene-specific commentary for all three movies, and I did commentary on the deleted scenes — none of this is on the International versions. On this second commentary track, we tried to talk about things that didn't appear elsewhere on the set."

"Bob Z's commentary is the USC Q&A we did together a few months ago."

After seeing the International DVDs a couple weeks ago, I was curious about trailers for all three films, since there was only one for each film included on the International DVDs and knew about a second trailer rarely ever seen for the first film:

"There was a 90-second TV spot for Part 1 that ran on MTV which some people think was the theatrical trailer. It wasn't — we never had time to do a workable theatrical trailer because the release date got moved up on us. It's not likely that this 90-second spot will be on the DVD because we're running out of room!"

Also, a photograph found in the "Marty McFly Photo Album" on BTTF1 of Mr. Strickland seen inside his 1985 office sparked my immediate interest as to whether there was a deleted scene that this photo was taken from, particularly since we have many continuity Polaroids from this scene here on BTTF.com:

"This was only filmed with Eric Stoltz. It started with the classroom watching a documentary about nuclear testing (which was never filmed). When we recast, we rewrote the beginning of the movie to start in Doc's garage because it was cheaper to do and economically better story telling."

As indicated to us before, we unfortunately won't be seeing any Eric Stoltz footage on this release, so we won't be seeing this scene unique to the pre-Fox casting. However there are a few stills of Stoltz as Marty seen in the "Making the Trilogy: Chapter 1" documentary.

Speaking of the "Making the Trilogy" documentaries, I was particularly intrigued with the brief sight of the first draft for the script of BTTF2 ["Number 2"] seen in the second chapter of this wonderful documentary series, since I had never read that script before. The answer gives us our first indication of the planned online content:

"You will get to read that script because it will be available on Total Axess when the U.S. version is released."

Lastly, I was curious as to whether there was any material being considered for inclusion that hasn't yet been determined:

"I've suggested putting some behind the scenes material on the BTTF Ride in the package, and that's still up in the air — and dependent on how much more stuff we find. I think it would be nice to have something about the Ride in the set."

I couldn't agree more! It certainly appears that much more material has been collected for the domestic release, and while hard-core fans like myself will always be left wanting more no matter how much material is included, it seems that this set will certainly be bursting at the seams! Being 5+ years in the making, it seems that our lengthy wait will surely be worth it all.

Recently, BTTF.com staffer and occasional columnist Randy Atamaniuk had the rare opportunity to screen Bob's upcoming film Interstate 60 at the San Diego Comic Con earlier this month, as well as to speak briefly with him afterwards. Randy, whose review of I-60 will be posted soon, reports that Bob indicated to him that the U.S. DVDs are pretty much wrapped up and completed now, and that he is trying to convince the powers-that-be at Universal to include some of the spill-over material that won't fit on the three discs on a possible mail-order-only fourth disc. More on that as we learn it, so stay tuned...

-Taken from www.bttf.com

Sounds good, shame the region 2 release isn't till 2nd December but I can't wait.

Now where's that return form for my region 4 copy ;-)
res

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.