GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So who were the losers?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/08/02 at 15:02
Regular
The regs/n00bs who didn't get voted in?

Nope.

Personally I think it's the notables. "The elite few". 15 of them now? That doesn't sound like a few to me. When there were 5 they were the elite few.

To be honest - and I think I'm speaking the thoughts of most of the forum members (notables or otherwise) here - the status of Notable has been soiled. For God's sake, Stryke nearly got voted in this time, and in 3 months it'll probably happen. Is Stryke a notable? In the current sense of the word, perhaps, but he's nowhere near the standard of Grix & co. To be unpopularly honest, I don't think Edgy should be a notable at all. Nor should Pro Evo or Sonic.

The thing is, every 3 months there is no notable election, only "most notable", and now we have a band of brothers with olive-coloured names. The notable name has been downgraded by recent electees, new notables aren't really notables at all, they get grief from the likes of me, and true notables may also feel their notable name doesn't carry as much weight as it used to, I certainly think it doesn't.

Constructive critisicm? 5 is enough. 15 is unacceptable. Wiping the slate clean would be unfeasible, reverting to the original 5 would be unfair, and voting people out is bound to lead to trouble.

So what I suggest is this:

Vote out a notable every 3 months until we have 7 notables, and from then on we just leave the whole notable thing alone. But that isn't going to happen.

However, the fact is something has to be done about this situation, as we have notables who shouldn't be notables, notables who aren't notables, and the only losers in the elections are the winners.

Oh, now I remember why I hide away in my cosy geek forum.
Fri 23/08/02 at 16:05
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
Meh, isn't all this notable business meant to be just a bit of fun? All this talk of the extra pressure being on someone who is a notable to write lots of funny posts is all a bit stupid. Didn't they get elected for who they were before, but then after their name turns olive, everyone wants them to be someone different. Where's the logic in that?

I don't really know Pro Evo that well but he got elected for who he was, and if that's just exclusively in the Sony forum, then fair enough. Why should he go here, there and everywhere just to please you lot? He owes you nothing and I'm glad really that he hasn't tried to be someone who is not.
Fri 23/08/02 at 15:58
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Why is everyone taking it so seriously?
Because, like you said, people who don't get voted in think that people don't like them, so they get all serious and say how rubbish all this voting is and how little it all means now.
Some people don't take it seriously, some people jokingly campaign and have a laugh in the process, instead of moaning that this election was pointless because the winner doesn't get anything.
If we all had a laugh about it and realised that it was, after all, just a popularity contest (or a copularity pontest, if you like), then people would enjoy it more.
Fri 23/08/02 at 15:55
Regular
Goatboy wrote:

> Notables are, to me, those that have been around a while and are able
> to write more than "I like Nintendo/Sony/PC/XBox".

Well that's me. Sure, I'm passionate about Nintendo, but I don't go blabbing about them all the time.
Fri 23/08/02 at 15:54
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
1 whole year may be too long for each vote but 6 months would be a bit better.
Fri 23/08/02 at 15:51
Regular
The thing is, nobody is better than anybody else on the forums. Grix isn't better than you. Ant isn't better than you. I'm not better than you. The fact is, the only people that seem to stand out on these forums are the fanboys who we all seem to want to lynch so badly!

Everybody's got their own qualities and I personally think that the Notable system is just a popularity contest, nothing more. It's just a bit of fun and it's pathetic that people take them so seriously!

After all, it's not like people are losing out on anything by not being a Notable, and those who are Notables aren't gaining anything, they're just regular members like everyone else. They don't get any special priviledges, just a urine coloured name, that's all!

I personally don't see the point in voting out Notables. After all they must have some special qualities in some peoples eyes otherwise they wouldn't have been voted in the first place. The only fair way I can think of for getting rid of Notables is either setting rules (e.g. you have to appear on the forums so many times per quarter) or if they say they want their names back in purple (like Sonic and Pro Evo have said so), then let them.

So what if there becomes lots of Notables? There's always a steady flow of members coing on here, and the amount of Notables in comparison to other members is still low.

Just one question: Why is everyone taking it so seriously?
Fri 23/08/02 at 15:49
Regular
There should of been an election once a year, that way a notable would be more respected, and fewer of them aswell..
Fri 23/08/02 at 15:39
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I won't cast aspersions or comments on anybody in particular.

I do agree that the idea/point of Notables is meaningless now. I've been saying this before the election so this isn't a "Edgy shouldn't be" at all.
15 is too many.
It's now an expected thing with a new one every 3 months. Whatever meaning it had has been lost utterly.

It's got nothing to do with quality of posts, you get 24 people that think you're cool because you like a console in particular or a "forum" needs representing is a joke.

Notables are, to me, those that have been around a while and are able to write more than "I like Nintendo/Sony/PC/XBox".

I cant even be bothered to write anymore about this.
Congrats to Edgy for "winning", hope it's everything you thought it would be.
Me? I vote for whatever.
Fri 23/08/02 at 15:36
"slightlyshortertagl"
Pro Evo wrote:
> phi11ip wrote:
> Just seen him then!
>
> Only because I went to the Sony forum to find him!
>
> Making all forums a better place? Most notables post in all forums
> but
> Pro Evo I don't think has ever ventured out of the Sony Forum!
>
> I have actually.
>
> Anyway, this is all rather stupid and pathetic now. If it really
> bothers you all SO much, go ask SR to take my name and the others you
> don’t want off the list. It really doesn’t bother me all that much,
> after all, i never asked to be voted nor did i campaign for it either.
> All i wanted was to talk games, and i did and have. Sue me.

nice come-back there ProEvo, I'll sue you soon, don't worry
Fri 23/08/02 at 15:33
Regular
"bit of a brain"
OMG! where did you come from?!
Fri 23/08/02 at 15:33
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Turbonutter wrote:
> ProEvo being a "FOG notable" is a joke, he's hardly ever
> posted here, and is only a notable because he got all his Sony forum
> cronies to come in and vote for him.

Ill say it again for the few who fail to listen. I never wanted to be a Notable.

Got it this time?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.