GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Final Fantasy 7 -- The best? Or FFX"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/08/02 at 15:31
Regular
Lets take it from the top, in my opinion FF7 is without a doubt the best game ever created.It changed the RPG genre for the good.The battle system,the characters,the locations,the plot and the brilliant enemy which came in the form(s) of sepihroth. Then came the inferior and in some places inspirational FF8.when i purchased it i was expecting the brilliance of ff7 right from the start, which i was given until the battle system came up. Draw?? what the hell is that? GF's? The GF's were so poor it promoted non-summon warefare, which really means not using Gf's, but this was not that bad because if you had aura and the lionheart technique you were indestructible.the storyline,orphans raised together by a sorceress whom dont remember each other(deary me). the best part of FF8 was the music,graphics,the card game and the sensational story telling of laguna,his friends and eshtar.
FF9 was also a great game, but for me it had to many similarities with FF7,for instance:your enemy is a mysterious warrior with white hair(ring a bell?)Also the graphics had returned from human looking blocks like in FF8 to the small jelly like cartoon cutouts in FF7.There is a young girl like aeris who is mysterious and special(eiko).chocobos had a more important role unlike the previous were you needed a poketstation.
i do not have FFX yet but by the looks of things the graphics have changed to FF8.
Thu 22/08/02 at 21:22
Regular
Which is best? No idea.

I think FF7, FF8 and FF10 are all brilliant. For some reason FF9 didn`t capture me like 7 and 8 (partly because it was a PSone game released when I was already using PS2).

FF7 had the greatest impact I guess as it was the first time I`d experienced a game of that length and depth, but had both FF7 and FF8 been played seperately without me knowing about the other, then its quite likely FF8 would be my favoured game. I prefered the more mathematical approach to the junctioning and drawing system (especially in comparison to the terrible FF9 version), and also the graphical style. The stories were both fantastic, as they always are with FF games, and its impossible to choose between the two. FF7 was bigger and better than anything else, but FF8 had more emotion in it, and a little more character depth.

However, though gameplay supposedly rules all, graphics do have to play a part, even if its a small one, and in this category FF10 wipes the board with all the others. Being a PS2 title with all the extra power at its disposal has taken not only the CG but the in-game graphics to a whole new level.

(This reminds me, my favourite CG scene is "Believe" where Valefor catches Yuna)

The Blitzball mini game sums it up. Where older games had interesting ideas with very simple designs, Blitzball is practically a whole new game. If it could have been made multiplayer and given a few more modes it would have been fantastic!

I think that if FF8, FF7 and FF10 had arrived at the same time, FF10 would win easily, but as it is, with each one arriving years after its prequel, I think all three are equal in my eyes.

***Note for skim readers - I think they`re all equally great and can`t choose my favourite***
Thu 22/08/02 at 18:25
Heh. no contest mate. final fantasy 7 is BY FAR the best RPG ever made, with its brilliant story, good characters (and summons!) and the daftest settings ever. best bit was when you get the gold chocobo, aftter days of breeding and racing. phew.
Thu 22/08/02 at 16:39
Regular
"Still luv her?! dun"
'Ow can you say FFVII is better than FFX when you've never played FFX before? Geez!! If FFVII changed the face of RPG forever than what 'bout FFX that is later than FFVII? F'course it's more complex! With thousands of sidequests that are harder than the main quest, FFX with no doubt is better than FFVII. Besides, why d'you say FFVII is the best? Fancy Cloud?
Thu 22/08/02 at 16:16
How can you say FF7 iz better if ye haven't played FFX????!!!!

Geez, get Isa or some other newbie or regular to get your answer. Not me.
Thu 22/08/02 at 15:31
Regular
"Notable"
Lets take it from the top, in my opinion FF7 is without a doubt the best game ever created.It changed the RPG genre for the good.The battle system,the characters,the locations,the plot and the brilliant enemy which came in the form(s) of sepihroth. Then came the inferior and in some places inspirational FF8.when i purchased it i was expecting the brilliance of ff7 right from the start, which i was given until the battle system came up. Draw?? what the hell is that? GF's? The GF's were so poor it promoted non-summon warefare, which really means not using Gf's, but this was not that bad because if you had aura and the lionheart technique you were indestructible.the storyline,orphans raised together by a sorceress whom dont remember each other(deary me). the best part of FF8 was the music,graphics,the card game and the sensational story telling of laguna,his friends and eshtar.
FF9 was also a great game, but for me it had to many similarities with FF7,for instance:your enemy is a mysterious warrior with white hair(ring a bell?)Also the graphics had returned from human looking blocks like in FF8 to the small jelly like cartoon cutouts in FF7.There is a young girl like aeris who is mysterious and special(eiko).chocobos had a more important role unlike the previous were you needed a poketstation.
i do not have FFX yet but by the looks of things the graphics have changed to FF8.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.