GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Multiplayer Halo: Suggestions"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 21/08/02 at 19:19
Regular
After 3 days now of Haloing all day, linking 2 Xbox's together, I've come up with some very good suggestions for Halo multiplayer. Of course, to make the most out of these suggestions, you really do need to get to know the maps, and all players have to have some experience, otherwise it'll just be a case of mopping up the newbies.

Sidewinder

Level Description:
This is a great level for team matches and one on one. If you're going to play one on one, it's best to have a TV each, because on one TV there is no point - you can see where the other one is. There are two bases at the ends of the horseshoe shaped level. The teleport on the upper level of each base will take you to a ledge on the outer rim of the level. If you follow the ledge you're on, you'll find another teleporter which will take you to the other ledge on the other side of the horseshoe (if you get what I mean). There is also a cavern running between the two ends of the horshoe, which has active camouflage and an overshield in it, and while these pickups are accessible from both sides, there is a grille preventing you from actually crossing. All the ledges around the rim have steps up to them, but otherwise the horshoe is a barren ice area with a few hills and an overshield in the middle.
On this level, players either respawn outside the bases or on the ledges, but never in the middle of the field.

Item Locations:
There are two bases at the ends of the horseshoe shaped level, each with a sniper rifle and two shotguns at the top, along with grenades, health and the rifle at the bottom. In the cavern between the ends of the horshoe, where active camouflage and overshields are, there are four plasma grenades. Also, the ledges around the level all have rocket launchers on them.
Remember: The black button switches between grenade types. Plasma grenades are definitely the best, since they stick to people, but on default you use normal grenades, so I suggest changing which you're using as soon as you pick up some plasma grenades.

Vehicle Locations:
This really depends on the vehicle set you choose, but with everything on a Warthog, two ghosts and a scorpion tank will appear next to each base.

There are three very good game modes you can play on this level, in my opinion.

Mode 1 - Mutliplayer team slayer:
Firstly, change the options so that there are unlimited grenades, no penalties for killing a lot of people and only human weapons. Also change it so that there are all vehicles.

It is a good idea to play with teams, but it is just as good to have a free for all. Basically, split up into two teams. Normally on this level, the sniper rifle would have a great advantage because there are so many good sniping points - from the top of a base, or on any of the ledges around the level. Having the Scorpion helps counter this advantage, because it's rockets aren't slow like the rocket launcher's, and generally it offers protection when driving around the level. Also, this is a good level for campers because there is a lot of cover around which offer good sniping positions as well.

Mode 2 - 2 player deathmatch
This is very fun for two veteran players. Again, use the same settings as with the team slayer, but in this one, with a TV each so you can't see where the opponent is, it is both very fun and a very edgy game. Since you don't know where your opponent is, it can be very good for snipers - particularly if you're both good shots. A low frag limit is good, to keep the game short and even.

Mode 3 - Capture the flag
This is a great mode, mainly because with four players and two teams, you can have one person cover the runner, and the runner trying to get the flag. Since you can have somebody camping at the base, it is extremely hard to get the flag, but the portals allow for some sneaky escapes, particularly if you turn off the radars and get active camouflage.

Blood Gulch

Level Description:
This level is very similar to Sidewinder, in that it's an open field with two bases at the end. In this case, the bases are circular things, with four entrances. On two opposite sides there are ramps up to the roof, and on the other two sides there are ramps down to the bottom. The bottom is an open room, with a hole in the ceiling onto the roof. The field between the bases is hilly, and there is a path in an S shape leading among them. Behind the 'red' base, there is a steep slope leading up, ideal for snipers who wish to remain out of sight (in other words, cheap-shot campers). On the blue side, there is a canyon path leading up the wall on the cliff, and some caves inside the canyon wall. On the roof of each base, there is a teleporter which will teleport into the middle of the field.

Item Locations:
On the roof of each base, there is one sniper rifle, one pistol and one health pack. Inside the base, there are two shotguns and two assault rifles. In the middle of the field, next to the only bush/tree thing, there is a rocket launcher, and on the adjacent hill there is either active camouflage or an overshield.

Vehicle Locations:
Depending on which vehicle set you choose, whichever vehicles you do choose appear next to the bases, in the same proportions as in Sidewinder.

Game modes:
In this level, I've found there are 4 good game modes.

Mode 1 - Capture the flag
This mode is great because of the sniping advantage. I only suggest this mode though without vehicles, because the hilliness of the field in between does offer some cover from cheeky snipers and rocketeers. It is a lot more fun when capturing the flag is a challenge.
I'd suggest playing this mode with two TV's, and in teams. That way, you can either storm the opponent's base with a warthog, or have a sniper covering the person attempting a capture.

Mode 2 - Slayer and Team Slayer
This level is also good for slayer and team slayer, because of the number of options available. In team slayer, people who like sniping can do so with some cover, because there are some very good locations to do so. People who like going for the rocket launcher have to do so without getting hit by a sniper, which offers some challenge, and it is generally fun playing at long range combat. Going 3 on 1 against a veteran is also very fun, especially if that person is prone to getting angry. The reason? Grab two tanks, keep one at each end of the level, and wherever the person respawns they get automatically killed :D.

Mode 3 - Race
Since the level is quite open, there is ample opportunity in Race to use vehicles. Therefore, racing across the open terrain to tag the objects is great fun. What's more, the sniper rifles allows other people to get frags from far off, making open targets quite tricky to get.

Battle Creek

Unlike the other two levels I've mentioned, this is relatively small. It is good for close range combat, so if you prefer weapons like the shotgun and assault rifle, this level is for you.

Level Description:
This is a very small level. Again, it has two bases, but the distance between each is very small. As the name suggests, there is a small stream running between the bases, and there are lots of boulders on each side offering cover. There is also a great rock arch next to the stream, and two high up ledges on the left and right of the level. Each base goes down, and is generally a square shape with ramps up.

Item Locations:
Underneath the bases there are assault rifles, and to the right of most ramps there are also assault rifles/needlers. At the top of the rock arch, there is a rocket launcher. To get up the arch, stand back from where it starts, run and jump up, then it's just a case of walking up and grabbing it. There is active camouflage in the stream, at the end where the arch starts from the ground. On the ledges on either side of the level there are sniper rifles too. Behind the base on one side there is a health pack, and behind the base on the other there is an overshield.

Vehicle Locations:
On this level, because it is so small and cramped, there are no vehicles.

Game Modes:

This mode is great for loads of players, namely because it is a very cramped level, so merely getting across the level requires more luck than skill. Trying to get the flag back to your base is near impossible, unless you're the lucky receiver of active camouflage. Even then, it's not difficult to see the 'camouflaged' player.
Also, the ledges on either side allow campers to snipe other players, and more or less clear the way. If there's a player who's a fairly good shot, it would be a good idea for them to do this. Unless of course, somebody shoots a rocket, or throws a grenade up.

Mode 2 - Oddball
This mode of gameplay is usually pretty crap, but because of the level design, it is really fun to play as well. There are no hiding places in this level, and with the radar on, it's often a case of surviving against the enemies more than actually running away. With 8 players, this becomes hectic, but of course, great fun.

Mode 3 - Slayer
This level is aweful in team slayer, but great in normal slayer. Don't expect to stay alive for more than a minute, and actually getting a sniper rifle or rocket launcher is a task in itself. It's a good idea to take grenades off, because it is all too easy to kill yourself, but unlimited grenades is great to play as well.

Boarding Action

Level Description:
It's hard to say where everything is on this level. Basically, imagine a block of flats, chopped down the middle, so you can see into every room. Or one of those dollhouses which can be opened up. Basically, there are two 'buildings' like this, floating apart from each other. Since it's based in space, trying to jump between the levels is pointless (you die) but it IS possible. The layout of the rooms is very random, although they're all attached by ladders and teleports.

Item Placement:
On each side of the level, in roughly the middle, there is a room which has a wall protecting it from the other side of the level. There is, however, a slit in the wall so you can snipe out of. In this room, there is a rocket launcher. Looking at the level, in the top left corner there is a sniper rifle. On the level below, just underneath the sniper rifle, is active camouflage on one side, and an overshield on the other. Dotted around the level are the various other weapons, and there is an open space on each side where there are two assault rifles and two shotguns.

Vehicles? Yeah, right.

Game Modes:

Mode 1 - King of the Hill
This mode is useless in most levels, because they're very easy to memorise. The layout of this level is confusing and hard to remember, so king of the hill is a very good mode to play. The radar is more or less useless in this level, because you could be right next to somebody but five floors up. This mode is great because it is not only hard to kill the 'king', but hard to find the hill in the first place.

Mode 2 - Team Slayer
Normal slayer isn't such a great idea in this level, because it is very hard to find anybody. Therefore, this level is only very good with lots of people. Normal slayer isn't very fun though, because all the ladders and teleporters make it confusing and annoying. Team slayer is good though, because with two or more people, one person can snipe over to the other side of the level while the other covers him with a shotgun/assault rifle.

Mode 3 - Race
If you want a truly unskillful game, go for race. Trying to find the objects is nigh on impossible, since the radar is useless, and there is no direct path anywhere. This game is fun with 4 players, too hard with more and too boring with less. However, go for a short play because this is one of those levels which you can get tired of quickly, and then it's just a boring slog.

Those game modes are well suited to the levels which I've mentioned. However, the other levels are pretty much boring - they're inside levels, which means close combat. Therefore, the only really good mode is slayer. Special game modes are only suited to levels which are made for that purpose. The other multiplayer levels in Halo are boring, grey, inside and generally just good for multiplayer.

I hope people actually use these suggestions - I'd sure hate to see them go wasted :)
Thu 22/08/02 at 17:34
Regular
½pint wrote:
> Battle Creek is loads better without the radar on, so if you do hide
> on the top of the arch or whatever, nobody knows it.

I still think crouching underwater underneath the ledge (where the camoflague is) is an excellent stealth-em-up way to kill your foes.
Thu 22/08/02 at 17:23
Regular
"¬_¬"
Battle Creek is loads better without the radar on, so if you do hide on the top of the arch or whatever, nobody knows it.
Thu 22/08/02 at 13:58
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
My preferred hiding place on Battle Creek is on top of the ridge in-front of the AC. Climb up. Arm yourself with the Rocket Launcher. Boom. No sees it coming till it's too late.
Thu 22/08/02 at 13:52
Regular
Halo is class in single player and multiplayer.

I like Bloog Gulch, Prisoner and Battle Creek. On battle creek where you find the active camoflague in the stream, just crouch underneath the water and punce on unsuspecting foes as they cross the river, its a really good way to hide.
Wed 21/08/02 at 23:20
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
4 player Halo is a reguler occurance at my house but if one of my friends pick up an Xbox you can bet 8 player is on the cards.

I read through that entire post and found some of the game suggestions helpfull. I think its about time you hear mine.

Blood Gulch and Battle Creek are my favourite levels but I also like Damnation, hang em High and Chill out. I actually don't lie sidewinder, I think its too big and only woth playing with a large amount of players.

My friends and I have created some cool custom gametypes which you all should try out here are some of them.

UnseenDeath- Everyones invisable, Sniper weapons only. It makes for a tense match and it really helps you to spot people using active camofage during normal slayer games. I like it because im really good at it. Best on Blood Gulch and surprisingly Get On Top.

RocketBall- Its oddball, but with rockets with the only weapon. Turn Nav points on aswell so locating the oddball is easy. When you shoot the Ball carrier with a rocket it send the actual oddball flying halfway across most level, it makes for a frantic rush and it helps if you get the first shot in. Best on Batte Creek and Hing em high.

I also have a slayer game with all grenades option turned on. Sticky grenages are only good up close but its satisfying when you do get someone with it. Their fuse is too long if they simply land on the ground. The fragmentation grenades are the best in a 4 way fire fight. THe 2 second fuse means its easy to catch someone with them. Feel free to lob a few into a fire fight between other people to score some cheep frags.

Warthogs should be enabed in all team games, one driver, one chaingunner and one rocktman in the passengers side. Tanks are good fun but I tend not to use them, snipers can get headshots on you easy. Ghosts tend to be usefull for getting from a to b quickly.

Halo as the best Multiplayer options in a game ever in my opinion. I was playing Perfect Dark earlier and while it has Bots and simlier option, the game itself lacks alot of the fulid FPS gaming Halo delivers.

Halos Multiplayer options are woth £45 alone.
Wed 21/08/02 at 21:33
Regular
"asdfjkl;"
Halo is one hell of a sweet a** game.........multiplayer has got to be the bit that just tops it off.
Multiplayer in Halo is the best FPS experience ever!!! It is so much fun when u get a group of mates round and have a jolly good mince 'em up on multi.

I like 'hang em high' it is a good sized level without being too big, and it has good variety.

Sidewinder is a sweet map but if there is only 2 or 3 people playin it can be a mission to get to each other, especially if the vehicles have been stockpiled somewhere or if there is no vehicles.

Damnation is good also cos ya can launch people into da big pit that the waterfalls go into.

Any way.....Rockets on hang em high with infinite grenades, king of the hill on hang em high, snipers on sidewinder with scorpion tanks and infinite grenades.

I only have three control pads and i dont know any bdy else with an xbox so i have not been able to experiment too much on multi player so dats all i got to offer at the mo.

Happy Haloing to u all:)
Wed 21/08/02 at 20:53
Halo is amazing on multiplayer, like you say there is nothing like a good LAN party :-)

Sidewinder is great for sniping and long range combat. The best bit about this level is that because it is so flat it's really easy to have a good run with any vehicles you've chosen to enable.

Blood Gulch is one of the best all round levels - especially with the caves on the side; perfect for sniping each of the bases on each end.

For one on one or just a good all round frag-fest there's nothing like Battle Creek, with lots of players it can get like a war zone out there.

So basically I've just skimmed over all your ideas with a pretty pointless post, but whatever :p Nice post by the way.
Wed 21/08/02 at 19:19
Regular
"¬_¬"
After 3 days now of Haloing all day, linking 2 Xbox's together, I've come up with some very good suggestions for Halo multiplayer. Of course, to make the most out of these suggestions, you really do need to get to know the maps, and all players have to have some experience, otherwise it'll just be a case of mopping up the newbies.

Sidewinder

Level Description:
This is a great level for team matches and one on one. If you're going to play one on one, it's best to have a TV each, because on one TV there is no point - you can see where the other one is. There are two bases at the ends of the horseshoe shaped level. The teleport on the upper level of each base will take you to a ledge on the outer rim of the level. If you follow the ledge you're on, you'll find another teleporter which will take you to the other ledge on the other side of the horseshoe (if you get what I mean). There is also a cavern running between the two ends of the horshoe, which has active camouflage and an overshield in it, and while these pickups are accessible from both sides, there is a grille preventing you from actually crossing. All the ledges around the rim have steps up to them, but otherwise the horshoe is a barren ice area with a few hills and an overshield in the middle.
On this level, players either respawn outside the bases or on the ledges, but never in the middle of the field.

Item Locations:
There are two bases at the ends of the horseshoe shaped level, each with a sniper rifle and two shotguns at the top, along with grenades, health and the rifle at the bottom. In the cavern between the ends of the horshoe, where active camouflage and overshields are, there are four plasma grenades. Also, the ledges around the level all have rocket launchers on them.
Remember: The black button switches between grenade types. Plasma grenades are definitely the best, since they stick to people, but on default you use normal grenades, so I suggest changing which you're using as soon as you pick up some plasma grenades.

Vehicle Locations:
This really depends on the vehicle set you choose, but with everything on a Warthog, two ghosts and a scorpion tank will appear next to each base.

There are three very good game modes you can play on this level, in my opinion.

Mode 1 - Mutliplayer team slayer:
Firstly, change the options so that there are unlimited grenades, no penalties for killing a lot of people and only human weapons. Also change it so that there are all vehicles.

It is a good idea to play with teams, but it is just as good to have a free for all. Basically, split up into two teams. Normally on this level, the sniper rifle would have a great advantage because there are so many good sniping points - from the top of a base, or on any of the ledges around the level. Having the Scorpion helps counter this advantage, because it's rockets aren't slow like the rocket launcher's, and generally it offers protection when driving around the level. Also, this is a good level for campers because there is a lot of cover around which offer good sniping positions as well.

Mode 2 - 2 player deathmatch
This is very fun for two veteran players. Again, use the same settings as with the team slayer, but in this one, with a TV each so you can't see where the opponent is, it is both very fun and a very edgy game. Since you don't know where your opponent is, it can be very good for snipers - particularly if you're both good shots. A low frag limit is good, to keep the game short and even.

Mode 3 - Capture the flag
This is a great mode, mainly because with four players and two teams, you can have one person cover the runner, and the runner trying to get the flag. Since you can have somebody camping at the base, it is extremely hard to get the flag, but the portals allow for some sneaky escapes, particularly if you turn off the radars and get active camouflage.

Blood Gulch

Level Description:
This level is very similar to Sidewinder, in that it's an open field with two bases at the end. In this case, the bases are circular things, with four entrances. On two opposite sides there are ramps up to the roof, and on the other two sides there are ramps down to the bottom. The bottom is an open room, with a hole in the ceiling onto the roof. The field between the bases is hilly, and there is a path in an S shape leading among them. Behind the 'red' base, there is a steep slope leading up, ideal for snipers who wish to remain out of sight (in other words, cheap-shot campers). On the blue side, there is a canyon path leading up the wall on the cliff, and some caves inside the canyon wall. On the roof of each base, there is a teleporter which will teleport into the middle of the field.

Item Locations:
On the roof of each base, there is one sniper rifle, one pistol and one health pack. Inside the base, there are two shotguns and two assault rifles. In the middle of the field, next to the only bush/tree thing, there is a rocket launcher, and on the adjacent hill there is either active camouflage or an overshield.

Vehicle Locations:
Depending on which vehicle set you choose, whichever vehicles you do choose appear next to the bases, in the same proportions as in Sidewinder.

Game modes:
In this level, I've found there are 4 good game modes.

This mode is great because of the sniping advantage. I only suggest this mode though without vehicles, because the hilliness of the field in between does offer some cover from cheeky snipers and rocketeers. It is a lot more fun when capturing the flag is a challenge.
I'd suggest playing this mode with two TV's, and in teams. That way, you can either storm the opponent's base with a warthog, or have a sniper covering the person attempting a capture.

Mode 2 - Slayer and Team Slayer
This level is also good for slayer and team slayer, because of the number of options available. In team slayer, people who like sniping can do so with some cover, because there are some very good locations to do so. People who like going for the rocket launcher have to do so without getting hit by a sniper, which offers some challenge, and it is generally fun playing at long range combat. Going 3 on 1 against a veteran is also very fun, especially if that person is prone to getting angry. The reason? Grab two tanks, keep one at each end of the level, and wherever the person respawns they get automatically killed :D.

Mode 3 - Race
Since the level is quite open, there is ample opportunity in Race to use vehicles. Therefore, racing across the open terrain to tag the objects is great fun. What's more, the sniper rifles allows other people to get frags from far off, making open targets quite tricky to get.

Battle Creek

Unlike the other two levels I've mentioned, this is relatively small. It is good for close range combat, so if you prefer weapons like the shotgun and assault rifle, this level is for you.

Level Description:
This is a very small level. Again, it has two bases, but the distance between each is very small. As the name suggests, there is a small stream running between the bases, and there are lots of boulders on each side offering cover. There is also a great rock arch next to the stream, and two high up ledges on the left and right of the level. Each base goes down, and is generally a square shape with ramps up.

Item Locations:
Underneath the bases there are assault rifles, and to the right of most ramps there are also assault rifles/needlers. At the top of the rock arch, there is a rocket launcher. To get up the arch, stand back from where it starts, run and jump up, then it's just a case of walking up and grabbing it. There is active camouflage in the stream, at the end where the arch starts from the ground. On the ledges on either side of the level there are sniper rifles too. Behind the base on one side there is a health pack, and behind the base on the other there is an overshield.

Vehicle Locations:
On this level, because it is so small and cramped, there are no vehicles.

Game Modes:

This mode is great for loads of players, namely because it is a very cramped level, so merely getting across the level requires more luck than skill. Trying to get the flag back to your base is near impossible, unless you're the lucky receiver of active camouflage. Even then, it's not difficult to see the 'camouflaged' player.
Also, the ledges on either side allow campers to snipe other players, and more or less clear the way. If there's a player who's a fairly good shot, it would be a good idea for them to do this. Unless of course, somebody shoots a rocket, or throws a grenade up.

Mode 2 - Oddball
This mode of gameplay is usually pretty crap, but because of the level design, it is really fun to play as well. There are no hiding places in this level, and with the radar on, it's often a case of surviving against the enemies more than actually running away. With 8 players, this becomes hectic, but of course, great fun.

Mode 3 - Slayer
This level is aweful in team slayer, but great in normal slayer. Don't expect to stay alive for more than a minute, and actually getting a sniper rifle or rocket launcher is a task in itself. It's a good idea to take grenades off, because it is all too easy to kill yourself, but unlimited grenades is great to play as well.

Boarding Action

Level Description:
It's hard to say where everything is on this level. Basically, imagine a block of flats, chopped down the middle, so you can see into every room. Or one of those dollhouses which can be opened up. Basically, there are two 'buildings' like this, floating apart from each other. Since it's based in space, trying to jump between the levels is pointless (you die) but it IS possible. The layout of the rooms is very random, although they're all attached by ladders and teleports.

Item Placement:
On each side of the level, in roughly the middle, there is a room which has a wall protecting it from the other side of the level. There is, however, a slit in the wall so you can snipe out of. In this room, there is a rocket launcher. Looking at the level, in the top left corner there is a sniper rifle. On the level below, just underneath the sniper rifle, is active camouflage on one side, and an overshield on the other. Dotted around the level are the various other weapons, and there is an open space on each side where there are two assault rifles and two shotguns.

Vehicles? Yeah, right.

Game Modes:

Mode 1 - King of the Hill
This mode is useless in most levels, because they're very easy to memorise. The layout of this level is confusing and hard to remember, so king of the hill is a very good mode to play. The radar is more or less useless in this level, because you could be right next to somebody but five floors up. This mode is great because it is not only hard to kill the 'king', but hard to find the hill in the first place.

Mode 2 - Team Slayer
Normal slayer isn't such a great idea in this level, because it is very hard to find anybody. Therefore, this level is only very good with lots of people. Normal slayer isn't very fun though, because all the ladders and teleporters make it confusing and annoying. Team slayer is good though, because with two or more people, one person can snipe over to the other side of the level while the other covers him with a shotgun/assault rifle.

Mode 3 - Race
If you want a truly unskillful game, go for race. Trying to find the objects is nigh on impossible, since the radar is useless, and there is no direct path anywhere. This game is fun with 4 players, too hard with more and too boring with less. However, go for a short play because this is one of those levels which you can get tired of quickly, and then it's just a boring slog.

Those game modes are well suited to the levels which I've mentioned. However, the other levels are pretty much boring - they're inside levels, which means close combat. Therefore, the only really good mode is slayer. Special game modes are only suited to levels which are made for that purpose. The other multiplayer levels in Halo are boring, grey, inside and generally just good for multiplayer.

I hope people actually use these suggestions - I'd sure hate to see them go wasted :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.