GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Arsene's arrogance"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 21/08/02 at 12:01
Regular
As an Arsenal fan, I'm a little concerned about Arsene's statements stating that we're not going to be beaten, and that no-one's going to finish above us.Man Utd have said this before, but then they went on to win nothing. I'm worried that Arsenal may fall into the Man Utd trap of arrogance and complacency.
Wed 21/08/02 at 12:01
Regular
"bWo > You"
As an Arsenal fan, I'm a little concerned about Arsene's statements stating that we're not going to be beaten, and that no-one's going to finish above us.Man Utd have said this before, but then they went on to win nothing. I'm worried that Arsenal may fall into the Man Utd trap of arrogance and complacency.
Wed 21/08/02 at 12:34
"High polygon count"
Don't worry about it too much - it's all to do with talking the team up, making them feel better about themselves, and putting doubt in the minds of opponents.

I don't think Arsenal could ever be as arrogant as United, but whether it's Wenger or Ferguson, take it all with a large pinch of salt. The press distort and mis-quote people to make a story where perhaps there is none.

Wenger probably said something like "I think it will be difficult for teams to beat us this season", and the press have twisted it to make a more dramatic impact. I don't think Wenger is stupid enough to make such a claim that we will not be beaten, though it is certainly a possibility given the teams recent run - but all good things come to an end.

Remember we already hold a record set a few years ago under George Graham, when we lost only one game in a season to Chelsea. That was a remarkable feat, and will certainly take some beating.

Arsenal are a very confident side at the moment, and with very good reason. They must not make the mistake of believing that they are unbeatable, though, because - as you've said - that will be their undoing. I genuinely think that United reached that stage, and the sudden downfall came as a shock to them.

From what I've seen in the pre-season and the Champion's League qualifier game, they're still struggling a bit to bounce back. I don't think the situation is being helped by what appears to be a lot of in-fighting between certain players and the manager - and no doubt the accusations and revelations in Keane's book won't help matters.

They've made a few big-money signings which so far only seem to have upset the balance of the team, and apart from that they almost seem to be self-destructing from the inside at the moment. As one newspaper columnist recently said, they're possibly a worse team at this moment in time than they were a season or two ago - they're going backwards, and all because they thought they were untouchable.

Arsenal have won two Doubles in Wenger's first five seasons as manager. That's better than Fergie acheived in his first years at United, but we have a lot of catching up to do in terms of success. I do believe that Wenger is a better manager, though. It took Fergie ages to get a winning team together, and he spent far more money doing it.

Considering that Arsenal also have significantly less income than United, the fact that we are regularly challenging them is itself a major achievment - and the one-on-one record between the teams is better still, with Arsenal regularly the better side.

If we can keep Wenger with us for the same amount of time Fergie has been at United, I believe we have the capacity to surpass that success. The new stadium at Ashburton Grove is a vital key to that, but managerial stability and team spirit is no less important.

And I think it's clear for everyone to see that the spirit at Arsenal is second to none, despite all of Fergie's 'mind games' and all the negative press about "ill discipline" and various players wanting to leave.

As long as we have that, it will be very hard for anyone to beat us. Except maybe away from home in the Champion's League. :-) But hey, at least we're there regularly without needing to quaify!
Wed 21/08/02 at 20:53
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Wenger said *i think we PROBABLY won't get beat this season*

Of course the press jumped all over it and made him into the arrogant french man. I'm no fan of his but the press should report it like it is and not go making stories where there aren't any
Thu 22/08/02 at 04:21
Regular
Off topic, but Arsenal related...Didnt really want to start a new topic for it...

CARLOS ROA LINKED WITH ARSENAL!

Heh, had to laugh at this one...

He is apparently a devout Seventh Day Adventist who publicly prophesied the end of the world in 2001. At one stage he apparently quit football to become a priest...

Oh, and i'm sure you'll remember his saves that put England out of the world cup in 98 ;)
Thu 22/08/02 at 14:05
"High polygon count"
Indeed - the bloke's a complete nutball.

What's the point of signing a goalkeeper whose religion prevents him working on a Saturday?!?!?!
Thu 22/08/02 at 16:12
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Heh, I remember him retiring before the millenium was over when the world was set to end!

And then he comes back out of retirement, with nothing but laughter and humilation splattered all over his face!

:D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.