GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sonic the Dead-hog?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 21/08/02 at 10:56
Regular
If one thing has helped SEGA to become the well-known and much-loved company that they are to all ages world-wide, then it has to be Sonic.
The adventures of the spikey, blue one back in the MegaDrive days were 'special' to say the least. Those games gave us, as gamers, some real reasons to buy SEGA consoles, along with maybe one or two other games.
This effect didn't stop back in the Golden Age either. When Sonic first appeared in Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast, this had suddenly become THE game to own if you're a fan of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and co.

But sadly it seems that the taste of a new and simply stunning Sonic adventure is unlikely to appear on any console in the near or even distant future. Just like how Mario belongs to Nintendo, Sonic belongs to SEGA, and it therefore wouldn't be the same if we were to see out speedy blue friend grabbing those rings on a Nintendo, SONY, Microsoft, or any other non-SEGA machine.

Ok, Sonic Adventure 2 is currently available on the GameCube, and the first game is on it's way too - along with a whole-host of MegaDrive classics. But what we want to see as Sonic fans are all new adventures - possibly a Sonic Adventure 3. Sonic has also already make a GameBoy Advance debut in 2D, and the second installment is on the way.
But Sonic on the GameCube, Sonic on the GBA.... does this really sound 'OK' to you??

If you know Sonic, and you know SEGA, then you'll know that these 2 belong together, and that neither part can survive well without the other.
But without even a handheld console in the making for the future from SEGA, any new and original Sonic releases of the future has simply no place to go that they can call 'home' - like the MegaDrive, Saturn or Dreamcast.
With all this in mind, I have lead myself to face-up to the horrible and terrifying truth that we may never see an all-new Sonic game again. EVER!
:(

There was talk of Sonic Adventure 3 coming to the X-Box a while back, and then came rumours of it's destination being the Cube. But this all turned out to be a load of old Beans, like the type we saw in that Tetris-style game called Dr.Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

But would Sonic have reall done that well on another console anyway??
Since Sonic Adventure 2 was released on the GameCube, it hasn't really done all that badly. But then again, it's not exactly 'topping the charts' there either! Why could this be??
Well, for a start, Dreamcast owners who have already played this game will see no point in buying it again, even if they do own the Cube (a Nintendo console). There's nothing THAT special in this version that makes it any more of a different game to that of the DC original. There is the GBA link-up system, but we all got over that Tamagotchi business.
Mario and Sonic have been rivals ever since Gaming first began. Maybe this has something to do with it?? After all, how can you expect a large number of Nintendo fans to suddenly accept a game from a rival company as one of their own - and on their own format too!?? Mario is still no.1 in their eyes, while blue is the colour in the eyes of SEGA's followers.

Nintendo and SEGA have been rivals since time began, but all those playground scraps Mario vs. Sonic arguments seems to have died down as the 2 are becoming one to work on the Triforce Arcade system and make a success together.
So surely if Sonic was to re-appear anywhere it would have to be on the GameCube. But wether Nintendo fans would accept this 'Mario Wannabe' as one of their own or not is another question entirely....

If the truth has to be told then I think it must be said that Sonic will never make another all-new Home Console appearence unless SEGA were to put an end to their exile and re-enter the Console Market with something new. Sure, we may see another Sonic Advance game and a few more of the oldies re-vamped, but they aren't exactly the 'Sonic Adventure 3' we'll all be hoping for untill the end of our days in this sad, sad world.
By pulling-out of all future Console Wars 'full stop', Yuji Naka and co. may also be unintentionally kiling-off Sonic the Hedgehog, one of the greatest Games Characters ever created.

Sonic will always be remembered as something special taken from an Animé character so simple. Is this the end....?
Mon 21/10/02 at 12:06
I havent had a Dreamcast for long, and i've already completed Sonic Adventure and i'm on the look out for Sonic Adventure 2.In my opinion Sonic The Hedgehog isn't dead. The old MegaDrive games back in the 90's were classics, legends if you will, but the new 3D Dreamcast and Gamecube (Sonic on a Nintendo System! Whats the world coming to?)adventures of everyones favourite Blue Blur are just as good (Although many of the voice overs suck!) Hours and hours of quality entertainment are still handed out by Sonic and his Friends, So if the Games are selling, is Sonic Dead? NO!

~ Bond, James Bond ~
~ Special Reserve Customer ~
Thu 17/10/02 at 02:42
Regular
"I'm Back!!"
sega are dead unless they are only "sleeping"
Tue 27/08/02 at 16:10
Regular
XRAli wrote:
> I think that sega *may* be saving a new sonic game for the new console
> they plan to bring out in five years time. If so the game will
> probably be life-changing etc and will be the flagship game for it.

Nice thought, but more idealogical than realistic I feel.
Tue 27/08/02 at 16:09
Regular
Solskjær wrote:
> Yes Gar, that is flaming-obvious but you never know... there may have
> been someone out there who is way too slow to have realised why not
> yet.
>
> There may also be people who are still in denial over the whole 'No
> More SEGA Consoles!' issue right now, and this would just help to make
> it all sink-in firmly.
>
> It is hard to imagine life without new Sonic games, but i'm more than
> positive that this is something we will have to face, and that Sonic
> Adventure 2 could well be the last (new) Sonic game to be created.
> Or that other Dreamcast game, if that was the last one...
>
> Like I said, you can't guarrentee that Sonic will be a success on
> another format. Not all PS2 and X-Box fans have even taken-to their
> platformers like Jak and Daxter, and why would they want a 'kiddy'
> game like Sonic when they have more 'adult-themed' titles like GTA.
> GameCube fans may be ones to go for these 'kiddy' games, but accepting
> Sonic into Mario's territory is another thing.

Fair enough mate, but I think the Sonic games were popular cos they were good, not cos they were played on a Sega machine.

When I ordered my Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast 2 years ago, I was buying it cos it looked good - not cos it was a Sonic game that was only on Dreamcast at that time.

I actually hope Sega don't make any more consoles cos it's their marketing department is an embarassment and should be executed. Releasing another console, Sega would just be lining themselves up for another hammering from all the other companies who actually know what the word 'marketing' means. It would just give everyone else another chance to give us Sega fans a beating.

Yes, I love Sega and the games they make: in the arcade, on their own machines, and on rival machines. But they don't have a clue about marketing - the Saturn and Dreamcast failures are not just coincidence you know.

Anyway, I think whichever console becomes Sonic's new home the game will still have a following. Those of us old enough to remember his Master System and Game Gear days will buy the game to carry on the legacy, and those who are new to gaming with an Xbox or Gamecube will (in theory) buy it cos it's a good game in its own right.

That's what I think anyway. :o)
Tue 27/08/02 at 15:18
Ack, dont be so negative! SEGA rule, an they r too smart not to release a new console, oh and talkin of sonic, me, my mate, and his arcade team r making a fangame of sonic/jet set radio , its jet set radio exept with the sonic adventure and sonic adventure2 characters, i did some of the tags, its called JSR sonic team.
(((<( -_-)>)))
Fri 23/08/02 at 13:05
I think that sega *may* be saving a new sonic game for the new console they plan to bring out in five years time. If so the game will probably be life-changing etc and will be the flagship game for it.
Fri 23/08/02 at 11:42
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I agree that even when he does fail to re-appear in any shape or form that he will always be remembered by the SEGA fans who have know and loved his games. But what about the ones who haven't played a Sonic title??

Not only will they have missed out on a lot of what really is 'SEGA at their best', but they may never know who he was or anything, and his name will be entirely 'meaningless' to them as apparant SEGA fans.

I'm sure he'll still have his role as the SEGA Mascot anyhow.
Thu 22/08/02 at 20:59
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Sonic will never die!!!! This may sounds corny but if ever Sonic does die he will still be remembered by us Sega fans.... we are the real Sonic the Hedgehog supporters, no matter which consoel Sonic goes to next! Though I must confess I could never forsee Sonic going to another console.

Big up Da Hedgehogs!! hehe
Thu 22/08/02 at 15:45
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Yes Gar, that is flaming-obvious but you never know... there may have been someone out there who is way too slow to have realised why not yet.

There may also be people who are still in denial over the whole 'No More SEGA Consoles!' issue right now, and this would just help to make it all sink-in firmly.

It is hard to imagine life without new Sonic games, but i'm more than positive that this is something we will have to face, and that Sonic Adventure 2 could well be the last (new) Sonic game to be created.
Or that other Dreamcast game, if that was the last one...

Like I said, you can't guarrentee that Sonic will be a success on another format. Not all PS2 and X-Box fans have even taken-to their platformers like Jak and Daxter, and why would they want a 'kiddy' game like Sonic when they have more 'adult-themed' titles like GTA.
GameCube fans may be ones to go for these 'kiddy' games, but accepting Sonic into Mario's territory is another thing.
Thu 22/08/02 at 13:42
Regular
Solskjær wrote:
> If the truth has to be told then I think it must be said that Sonic
> will never make another all-new Home Console appearence unless SEGA
> were to put an end to their exile and re-enter the Console Market with
> something new.

That's a bit obvious isn't it? Saying Sonic won't be on a new Sega machine unless Sega release a new machine? Erm. Ok.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.