GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Beckham in central midfield"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/08/02 at 21:07
Regular
Yes, it is true, Sven thinks Beckham may be suited to a more central role. here is his interview taken from ntlworld.

Sven-Goran Eriksson wants Sir Alex Ferguson to test out David Beckham in central midfield.

The Swede wants Ferguson to make the first move in bringing Beckham inside from his usual position on the right of midfield.

Eriksson said in a new biography: "I think those people who say Beckham should play inside in midfield might be right.

"But it's not up to me to test that, it's up to Alex Ferguson. My job is to select the right players and let them play at the positions they already play in at their clubs."

Beckham has expressed his desire in the past to become more involved in matches by playing through the middle.

Eriksson added: "David works extremely hard. By just being himself he is a leader. In training he goes first all the time.

"There are never any discussions about whether it's raining, or if it's windy.

"He agrees the work should just be done, end of discussion."

So what do you all think? should goldenballs go to centre mid? and would it leave space for scholes and gerrard? and who would fill in his place?

in my opinion becks is more suited to an outside role, as england wont be able to replace him on the right. saying that, he is such a class player, he could go anywhere, and the team would have to evolve
Tue 20/08/02 at 21:07
Yes, it is true, Sven thinks Beckham may be suited to a more central role. here is his interview taken from ntlworld.

Sven-Goran Eriksson wants Sir Alex Ferguson to test out David Beckham in central midfield.

The Swede wants Ferguson to make the first move in bringing Beckham inside from his usual position on the right of midfield.

Eriksson said in a new biography: "I think those people who say Beckham should play inside in midfield might be right.

"But it's not up to me to test that, it's up to Alex Ferguson. My job is to select the right players and let them play at the positions they already play in at their clubs."

Beckham has expressed his desire in the past to become more involved in matches by playing through the middle.

Eriksson added: "David works extremely hard. By just being himself he is a leader. In training he goes first all the time.

"There are never any discussions about whether it's raining, or if it's windy.

"He agrees the work should just be done, end of discussion."

So what do you all think? should goldenballs go to centre mid? and would it leave space for scholes and gerrard? and who would fill in his place?

in my opinion becks is more suited to an outside role, as england wont be able to replace him on the right. saying that, he is such a class player, he could go anywhere, and the team would have to evolve
Wed 21/08/02 at 01:06
Regular
Aint gonna happen Really.

Not when you got Scholes/Veron/Butt competing for the place alongside Keane in central midfield.
Wed 21/08/02 at 09:43
Regular
i could work as Dyer could then move out on the right. i would not be adverse to:

Sinclair Gerrard Beckham Dyer

Only problem is beckhams best attribute is passing (especially aerial) he picks players well with the long ball and this is a very good characteristic for a wide player. It would be a shame to waste this talent and cut out our cross supply. The argument for it, is that he spends so much time cutting into the middle that he migh as well play there, he needs to be told to hold position better i think. AS he is not a great tackler by any stretch of the imagination and tackling is crucial for a central role as ball winning here creates attacks. I think he should stay wide.
Wed 21/08/02 at 11:03
Regular
"Long time no see!"
If Beckham's playing in the centre then how the hell is he gonna deliver those pin-point crosses from the right-wing for Van Nistelrooy and Scholes you power-mad Swedish Meatball!!???

And who the hell does Eriksson think he is trying to tell Sir Alex Ferguson - one of the all-time greatest manager EVER - how to do his job, the same job he's been doing better than any other United Gaffer for the last 15 years or so!!!

Incase you can't tell, I hate that Swedish so and so...!
He can far-cough for all I care - we don't need him in-charge of England!
If Beckham IS so good in the center then why don't you play him there for England!!?? Dyer, Sinclair, Hargreaves... those are just a few names who could play out wide-right instead of him.

But like Ortega/Riquelme/whoeverheisnow said, this is never gonna happen!
Giggs, Keane, Scholes, Beckham - virtually un-beatable! And then there's Veron and Butt on the bench.
And with Scholes and Gerrard in the center for England, you'd only be creating a Veron-effect in replacing Beckham with one of them.
Wed 21/08/02 at 12:16
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Beckham should play as a right wing-back for England. He is perfect for that role, Ashley Cole being on the other wing (back). You then can play Scholes, Gerrard and Joe Cole in the centre.

Sven should consult with me if he needs any help with his team, he really should...
Thu 22/08/02 at 16:36
Regular
"Long time no see!"
But wouldn't 3 defenders against a team like Brazil be a little risky??
Sure, we may be able to score plenty, but so too can Brazi.
Thu 22/08/02 at 18:37
i think he wouldnt be too bad offensive midfield, as he can whack in a fair few shots, his passing is sublime, and then heskey can just leave.

here would be my team

4-5-1

LWB-a.cole
CB-ferdinand
CB-campbell
RWB-murphy
RW-j.cole
DM-gerrard
CM-scholes
LM-sinclair
OM-beckham
ST-owen
Thu 22/08/02 at 23:57
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
Not quite sure how we got on to the subject of naming England teams but I would much prefer that they stick to the 4-4-2 formation that we have become accustomed to. One of the main aspects of Beckham is his ability to whip in good crosses which would be totally eliminated from his game should he be moved to central midfield.

Joe Cole is still not ready for big international games though, give him a couple of years and then he may be ready, but with Gerrard, Scholes and Butt around it is hard to see how he will get a game.

Barmby for left midfield. He rules. :)
Fri 23/08/02 at 08:16
I think it could work with Beckham in central midfield.
Fri 23/08/02 at 09:13
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
Unreal wrote:
> I think it could work with Beckham in central midfield.

Why would that work?

I'm sure that they are beeter pairing Gerrard with either Dyer or Scholes in the centre of midfield.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.