GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dragonball Z - Burst Limit (Ps3)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Dragonball Z - Burst Limit'.
Mon 09/06/08 at 08:51
Regular
"THFC"
After finding out this was coming out only a few weeks ago, i was eager to get to play what looked like the best Dragonball Z game to date. I pre-ordered it, got it delivered on Friday the 6th - started playing, and here's how it went;

Imagine a series of games that you have enjoyed time after time, constantly improving on different aspects, but Burst Limit takes 2 steps forward from all this - then about 4 back! While i am not saying it is a bad game, it just lacks a few things which i feel would have made it a really good game!

Characters
There are only about 15 characters within the whole game, in the previous Dragonball Z game i think there were over 100! While they are all true to their anime couter-part, with the moves being like that of the show and their voices coming from the original English cast you certainly feel like you are re-playing the "sagas" from the programme - but with only a smal amount of people making an appearance you are left wanting to see what other characters would have see / played like!

Story
Never is this seen as the most important part of a fighting game, but because most of the people who will play this game have seen and loved the television show then in this case it is! Only going up to what is known as "The Cell Saga" there is still a hefty chunk of Dragonball Z story left to come, which adds to the section above.
What part of the story is there is played out beautifully, the animation is mirrored to what happened in the show and even lines of dialouge are taken straight out of what i have sen on T.V. - which is great because i really feel a part of the Dragonball universe. So while i am happy with the story and how it plays out, i just really wish it followed it through to the end.

Battle System
Always key in fighting games, how does it play, can you button bash and be a winner? Well im glad to say - not really, while if you are right up close to someone and mash the square button, you may get a few hits, but the battle system allows anyone who has a bit of experience in the game counter all this - be it dodging, guarding or teleporting behind to unleash a "special" move.
Unlike some of previous games in the Dragonball series - you can transform to your characters next level in game, it is not chosen before the fight starts. A good touch because this adds to it being more like the anime on T.V. - and everyone starts on a level playing field.
A problem that has been aparent in most Dragonball games developed so far is that all special and ultimate moves are performed with a huge amount of easy, literally - you wait for your energy bar to be full which takes all of 10 seconds - then press up and circle - thats all there is to it! Making it easy for even someone who has never played before get a lucky hit and you will loose and complete health bar!
All combos and other aspects are pretty much the same per fighter chosen, no real difference in fighting style, movements etc etc
A simple battle system that works well with the game, but if your a avid fan of this genre then i would guess it is too simple!

Graphics
This is one of those leaps forward i mentioned in the first part - it looks beautiful, i love the cel-shaded style graphics, they look better than what the original series did. Each character looks perfect down to the smallest detail, the enviroments look really good - the water and the mountains, it all looks just like any fan would want it to. The cut-scenes are truly amazing - this part of the game actually makes you think that the people creating the game are true fans of the show! That they have improved from a previous game and have spent most their time on this feature without fail.

Levels
Each level as mentioned above looks great - with the ability to knock your opponent into the sky casuing some damage on the way is always a nice addition to any level. If you use your ultimate move, then sometimes the level will be destroyed and become all desolate and dark, BUT in previous games you had much more freedom in the levels, you could choose when you fly up, move behind mountains and you could destroy the landscape, sadly you can no longer do this and it was an aspect that i really missed. There was something very enjoyable about flying up in the air, racing about behind various obstacles and then destroying then with an energy beam.

Multiplayer
Only one previous Dragonball Z game has gone online - the latest one on the wii. I never played this but i heard the lag was terrible and it just did not work, well the second leap forward i have to report on is the Online play, you will be connected to an opponent very quickly, you can check their records and see their nationality (for some reason it is always more fun to beat someone from another country) it works well online, and if the connection strength is over one bar then there is no lag and you can move about with ease and have a good fight. If you win your "power level" increases, if you loose then it decreases. Adding some life once one player is completed, as you try become a high level fighter. There is one small catch that really annoys me however - if you turn your console off then the match is cancelled and as if it never happened. I have twice beaten a high level opponent, for them to turn their console off as my ultimate move has just hit.
Despite that small snag the online works well and will keep you on the game for some time, if you have a favourite character and like to battle with them, then you'll be on it for a while.

Extras
As usual, you would expect a main story, a multiplayer option and a few other modes, well you only get one more - survival, which is fun for the first 2 times then becomes tedious in my opinion.
Normally in Dragonball games the emphasis is on collecting seven magic balls and then once you have them you make a wish - unlock characters or costumes etc. This always works well in the game but in this one they have been removed all together, the only mention or time you see the "Dragonballs" is when a fight is loading.
The only new addition in this game is a supprt system - basically you choose a character before a fight and then 3 triggers for support ot happen i.e. "protection" if you take a large amount of damage your buddy jumps in and hits your opponent, a nice touch but too little too late really.

Overall
I love the anime, i love most the games and i do enjoy playing Burst Limit, but it just lacks so many things that i think it will be sold very shortly, even the Online is not going to keep me on it. With only about 3 hours gameplay had i unlocked all characters and done the story. A real shame because the graphics make this a nice looking game. If it is just a simple fighting game you are after with an online option then you will not be disappointed, but if you love the series, characters and everything about the show then you might be left wanting more.
what there was to play i enjoyed and had some good fights onlin eover the weekend. Anyone reading this review will know why there are so many things left out, for Burst Limit 2, and then 3. Every time a new Dragonball game series comes out then there tend to be 3, 2 and 3 being more complete and all round better games. So bring them on, with the graphics of this and a improved battle system, more characters and maybe a few new modes, then this would score a 9/10!
But with all the flaws and missing components, this game gets:
6.5/10
(if your are a fan then it would probably raise to 7)
Mon 09/06/08 at 08:51
Regular
"THFC"
After finding out this was coming out only a few weeks ago, i was eager to get to play what looked like the best Dragonball Z game to date. I pre-ordered it, got it delivered on Friday the 6th - started playing, and here's how it went;

Imagine a series of games that you have enjoyed time after time, constantly improving on different aspects, but Burst Limit takes 2 steps forward from all this - then about 4 back! While i am not saying it is a bad game, it just lacks a few things which i feel would have made it a really good game!

Characters
There are only about 15 characters within the whole game, in the previous Dragonball Z game i think there were over 100! While they are all true to their anime couter-part, with the moves being like that of the show and their voices coming from the original English cast you certainly feel like you are re-playing the "sagas" from the programme - but with only a smal amount of people making an appearance you are left wanting to see what other characters would have see / played like!

Story
Never is this seen as the most important part of a fighting game, but because most of the people who will play this game have seen and loved the television show then in this case it is! Only going up to what is known as "The Cell Saga" there is still a hefty chunk of Dragonball Z story left to come, which adds to the section above.
What part of the story is there is played out beautifully, the animation is mirrored to what happened in the show and even lines of dialouge are taken straight out of what i have sen on T.V. - which is great because i really feel a part of the Dragonball universe. So while i am happy with the story and how it plays out, i just really wish it followed it through to the end.

Battle System
Always key in fighting games, how does it play, can you button bash and be a winner? Well im glad to say - not really, while if you are right up close to someone and mash the square button, you may get a few hits, but the battle system allows anyone who has a bit of experience in the game counter all this - be it dodging, guarding or teleporting behind to unleash a "special" move.
Unlike some of previous games in the Dragonball series - you can transform to your characters next level in game, it is not chosen before the fight starts. A good touch because this adds to it being more like the anime on T.V. - and everyone starts on a level playing field.
A problem that has been aparent in most Dragonball games developed so far is that all special and ultimate moves are performed with a huge amount of easy, literally - you wait for your energy bar to be full which takes all of 10 seconds - then press up and circle - thats all there is to it! Making it easy for even someone who has never played before get a lucky hit and you will loose and complete health bar!
All combos and other aspects are pretty much the same per fighter chosen, no real difference in fighting style, movements etc etc
A simple battle system that works well with the game, but if your a avid fan of this genre then i would guess it is too simple!

Graphics
This is one of those leaps forward i mentioned in the first part - it looks beautiful, i love the cel-shaded style graphics, they look better than what the original series did. Each character looks perfect down to the smallest detail, the enviroments look really good - the water and the mountains, it all looks just like any fan would want it to. The cut-scenes are truly amazing - this part of the game actually makes you think that the people creating the game are true fans of the show! That they have improved from a previous game and have spent most their time on this feature without fail.

Levels
Each level as mentioned above looks great - with the ability to knock your opponent into the sky casuing some damage on the way is always a nice addition to any level. If you use your ultimate move, then sometimes the level will be destroyed and become all desolate and dark, BUT in previous games you had much more freedom in the levels, you could choose when you fly up, move behind mountains and you could destroy the landscape, sadly you can no longer do this and it was an aspect that i really missed. There was something very enjoyable about flying up in the air, racing about behind various obstacles and then destroying then with an energy beam.

Multiplayer
Only one previous Dragonball Z game has gone online - the latest one on the wii. I never played this but i heard the lag was terrible and it just did not work, well the second leap forward i have to report on is the Online play, you will be connected to an opponent very quickly, you can check their records and see their nationality (for some reason it is always more fun to beat someone from another country) it works well online, and if the connection strength is over one bar then there is no lag and you can move about with ease and have a good fight. If you win your "power level" increases, if you loose then it decreases. Adding some life once one player is completed, as you try become a high level fighter. There is one small catch that really annoys me however - if you turn your console off then the match is cancelled and as if it never happened. I have twice beaten a high level opponent, for them to turn their console off as my ultimate move has just hit.
Despite that small snag the online works well and will keep you on the game for some time, if you have a favourite character and like to battle with them, then you'll be on it for a while.

Extras
As usual, you would expect a main story, a multiplayer option and a few other modes, well you only get one more - survival, which is fun for the first 2 times then becomes tedious in my opinion.
Normally in Dragonball games the emphasis is on collecting seven magic balls and then once you have them you make a wish - unlock characters or costumes etc. This always works well in the game but in this one they have been removed all together, the only mention or time you see the "Dragonballs" is when a fight is loading.
The only new addition in this game is a supprt system - basically you choose a character before a fight and then 3 triggers for support ot happen i.e. "protection" if you take a large amount of damage your buddy jumps in and hits your opponent, a nice touch but too little too late really.

Overall
I love the anime, i love most the games and i do enjoy playing Burst Limit, but it just lacks so many things that i think it will be sold very shortly, even the Online is not going to keep me on it. With only about 3 hours gameplay had i unlocked all characters and done the story. A real shame because the graphics make this a nice looking game. If it is just a simple fighting game you are after with an online option then you will not be disappointed, but if you love the series, characters and everything about the show then you might be left wanting more.
what there was to play i enjoyed and had some good fights onlin eover the weekend. Anyone reading this review will know why there are so many things left out, for Burst Limit 2, and then 3. Every time a new Dragonball game series comes out then there tend to be 3, 2 and 3 being more complete and all round better games. So bring them on, with the graphics of this and a improved battle system, more characters and maybe a few new modes, then this would score a 9/10!
But with all the flaws and missing components, this game gets:
6.5/10
(if your are a fan then it would probably raise to 7)
Mon 09/06/08 at 11:34
Regular
Nice review. I was looking to get this game but when I read about the amount of characters and story or there lackof I instantly said no. It's unexplainable why they would remove the last chunk of the story for no real legitimite reason. The only one I can think of is them planning to save it for the countless sequals that will be inevitably made.

Shame about the online mode, there should be a detriment to turning of your console. It's just sad that people have to do this because they are essentially sore losers. (Should've got it on the XBOX at least you could've bad repped them!)
Mon 09/06/08 at 11:46
Regular
"THFC"
Yea it is a shame that people feel that they have to do that to keep their power level so high, i think i will probably play it a few more times online, but then i can get a good amount of money for it by selling it now!

what a dilema, but once battlefield is out it wont be played!
Wed 11/06/08 at 11:30
"possibly impossible"
I'm still interested in seeing what the Wii game is like. I'm not a big fan of the series, but I do like the cell shaded look of the game and the idea behind it.

Might be worth trying for £10
Wed 11/06/08 at 12:03
Regular
"THFC"
Yea if you can pick it up for a tenner might be worth it, just because of the huge character base

Thats the annoying thing, it covers all sagas and movies

Burst Limit is a nice game but just too little is involved, only a handful of stages and not many players etc etc

still enjoying the online aspect when people dont turn it off

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.