GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"David O'Leary - shut the hell up"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/08/02 at 17:52
Regular
I don't know what it is with this goon O'Leary, but in the space of a few seasons, he's gone from being a Highbury legend to a Premiere League tool.

Not so long ago he had that famous bust-up with Pires, which resulted in the Footballer of the Year labelling him a 'putain' - which I believe is French for 'w***e', or something similar.

Surprisingly, he was allowed into Highbury yesterday to give opinions on the Arsenal v Birmingham game.

And now he's labelling Ashley Cole a conman after Cisse's sending off, when he's nothing of the sort. Ashley was beginning to get a bit of a rep for diving at the beginning of last season, but as the matches went by, it was plain to see that it is not something he does frequently.

I agree, Cisse should not have been sent off. The 'challenge' was late, but he did not foul Cole; Cole cleared the ball, and on the follow-through from the kick, he kicked Cisse on the knee.

O'Leary thinks that Cole collapsed deliberately to get the guy sent off, and conned the ref.

But ask yourself a question. Why would he do that?

Cisse had been booked for a late challenge, but he was not playing dirty. It wasn't exactly a close game, was it? In fact, it wasn't even close to being close! Arsenal didn't even leave first gear, and had little to gain from having an opponent sent off.

O'Leary says that Cole collapsed in a heap, and minutes later was up and running around as if nothing happened. If you have ever done that yourself (kicked someone in such a way that the top of your foot connects with a bony area of their anatomy), you'll know as well as I do that it hurts like hell for a few seconds, and makes it hard to stand on the foot. But it soon wears off, and you feel like nothing has happened.

That's all that happened, and the referee made the wrong decision. That said, Cisse had already been booked once, and spoken to after that for another late challenge. Maybe that's what the referee was considering when he decided on the second booking.

Even Birmingham's manager Steve Bruce says that he does not blame Cole, and that he will ask the referee to review the footage and overturn the decision. I hope the ref does exactly that.

So what is O'Leary's problem? He seems to have the needle with Arsenal over something, but I've no idea what. Maybe he's narked that he wasn't approached to become Arsenal's manager after George Graham was sacked? Or maybe he's annoyed that Arsenal dared to sack his mate in the first place?

Either way, there's something wrong with the man, and he has fallen spectacularly from hero to zero as far as I and I'm sure many other Arsenal fans are concerned.

Maybe before he accuses other teams players of cheating, he should look at the collection of cheap under-acheiving hackers he cobbled together at Leeds - one of the most cynical bunches of no-hopers in the Premiership, which hopefully El Tel will clean up.
Even Steve Bruce has said he doesn't blame
Mon 19/08/02 at 17:52
"High polygon count"
I don't know what it is with this goon O'Leary, but in the space of a few seasons, he's gone from being a Highbury legend to a Premiere League tool.

Not so long ago he had that famous bust-up with Pires, which resulted in the Footballer of the Year labelling him a 'putain' - which I believe is French for 'w***e', or something similar.

Surprisingly, he was allowed into Highbury yesterday to give opinions on the Arsenal v Birmingham game.

And now he's labelling Ashley Cole a conman after Cisse's sending off, when he's nothing of the sort. Ashley was beginning to get a bit of a rep for diving at the beginning of last season, but as the matches went by, it was plain to see that it is not something he does frequently.

I agree, Cisse should not have been sent off. The 'challenge' was late, but he did not foul Cole; Cole cleared the ball, and on the follow-through from the kick, he kicked Cisse on the knee.

O'Leary thinks that Cole collapsed deliberately to get the guy sent off, and conned the ref.

But ask yourself a question. Why would he do that?

Cisse had been booked for a late challenge, but he was not playing dirty. It wasn't exactly a close game, was it? In fact, it wasn't even close to being close! Arsenal didn't even leave first gear, and had little to gain from having an opponent sent off.

O'Leary says that Cole collapsed in a heap, and minutes later was up and running around as if nothing happened. If you have ever done that yourself (kicked someone in such a way that the top of your foot connects with a bony area of their anatomy), you'll know as well as I do that it hurts like hell for a few seconds, and makes it hard to stand on the foot. But it soon wears off, and you feel like nothing has happened.

That's all that happened, and the referee made the wrong decision. That said, Cisse had already been booked once, and spoken to after that for another late challenge. Maybe that's what the referee was considering when he decided on the second booking.

Even Birmingham's manager Steve Bruce says that he does not blame Cole, and that he will ask the referee to review the footage and overturn the decision. I hope the ref does exactly that.

So what is O'Leary's problem? He seems to have the needle with Arsenal over something, but I've no idea what. Maybe he's narked that he wasn't approached to become Arsenal's manager after George Graham was sacked? Or maybe he's annoyed that Arsenal dared to sack his mate in the first place?

Either way, there's something wrong with the man, and he has fallen spectacularly from hero to zero as far as I and I'm sure many other Arsenal fans are concerned.

Maybe before he accuses other teams players of cheating, he should look at the collection of cheap under-acheiving hackers he cobbled together at Leeds - one of the most cynical bunches of no-hopers in the Premiership, which hopefully El Tel will clean up.
Even Steve Bruce has said he doesn't blame
Mon 19/08/02 at 22:34
Regular
Heh, i liked the daily mirror backpage today....

"Cole is a Cisse"

Ahem...

I suppose O'Leary is just annoyed with Cole becasue he was involved with both Mills and Bowyer's sending offs at Highbury last season...
Mon 19/08/02 at 23:00
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
It's not hard to see why he may not like Ashley Cole though. I worried about him being in the England team at the World Cup as he is a bit of a hothead and there was numerous times that he may have been sent off and especially in the Argentina game.
Tue 20/08/02 at 01:01
Regular
".......on the attac"
Or†ega wrote:
> I suppose O'Leary is just annoyed with Cole becasue he was involved
> with both Mills and Bowyer's sending offs at Highbury last season...

Why would he be bothered? Leeds still beat the Arsenal scum. Even with 9 men they did the job and the last few minutes of that match were hilarious. It was Martyn saving one try and the other and then smashing the ball up the field. Brilliant.
Tue 20/08/02 at 01:13
"High polygon count"
Yeah, but what did it get them? No trophies and a sacked, useless t!t of a manager. :-) Sweeeeeet.
Tue 20/08/02 at 01:15
Regular
".......on the attac"
Well, I suppose you're right but then again you are obviously a tad biased as your are an Arsenal fan.
Tue 20/08/02 at 01:24
Regular
erm no read what ash said and cisse.
Tue 20/08/02 at 13:51
"High polygon count"
And I see that bastion of quality reporting "The Sun" has deviated from their usual list.

Now, not content with publishing the daily list of Arsenal's bookings and red cards, they're listing the red cards that opponents have received against Arsenal, and suggesting that they are our fault too!

This is what they say... and what I make of it:

APR 21, 2001. Everton's Abel Xavier is given his marching orders for fouling Cole.

-- It depends how bad the foul was, and whether it was a second bookable offence.

AUG 18, 2001. Middlesbrough's Ugo Ehiogu goes after tripping Cole in the box.

-- Hmm. A trip in the box results in a red card more often than not.

AUG 21, 2001. Leeds' Lee Bowyer is off for fouling Cole. David O'Leary says he acted. Danny Mills follows Bowyer after clashing with the Gunner.

-- Well, we all know that both of these guys aren't exactly angels, and are likely to respond when humiliated by a classier player. And we know Bowyer doesn't like foreigners, don't we?

DEC 18, 2001. Newcastle's Craig Bellamy sees red for catching Cole. Ref Graham Poll overturns his decision.

-- Ah-ha. So, this was actually a refereeing error, which was put right - as Cisse's should be. Not actually Cole's fault at all.

AUG 18, 2002. Birmingham's Aliou Cisse is dismissed after a challenge on Cole. Replays show contact was accidental.

-- Well, we know all about this one.

So it seems to me that these were all genuine red cards or refereeing blunders, and not actually Arsenal's/Cole's fault at all.

Fact is, when Arsenal play their football, no-one can get near us, and the only defence certain teams can muster is to kick us all over the pitch. Which for the most part goes unnoticed by referees.
Tue 20/08/02 at 14:24
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
Is that just the times that Cole has been fouled or involved someway and an opposition player has been sent off as there is a considerable lack of other Arsenal players.

I don't believe that Cole is a cheater but due to his speed on the ball he is fouled a lot and does get into a few scuffles resulting in a caution or sending off of a player. Cole has been cleared by TV footage and Aliou Cisse publicly stating that he is not a cheater whereas David O'Leary is just bitter and jealous after being sacked by Leeds.
Tue 20/08/02 at 14:36
"High polygon count"
Mr Ritze wrote:
> Is that just the times that Cole has been fouled or involved someway
> and an opposition player has been sent off as there is a considerable
> lack of other Arsenal players.

Yes, that's just with Cole involved. They say there have been 10 reds involving Arsenal over all.

> I don't believe that Cole is a cheater but due to his speed on the
> ball

I feel the same. He is very quick, good on the ball, and dangerous going forward - that's why he gets hit every time. And despite what others say, he's a damn good defender, too. I was dreading the time that Dixon and Winterburn left the club, but in Lauren and Cole we have two outstanding replacements.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.