GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stimulated Addiction"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/08/02 at 15:19
Regular
Gaming, We all love it and play it, but why are games so addictive?

Gaming is a drug; you play it, walk away, crave it and play it more, but why is this? Is it because it gets us high up in the sky? Nope it’s because our brains are stimulated (stop sniggering in the back) releasing a little thing called adrenaline, when we play games adrenalin is pumped through our bodies in varied amounts. Such as in an FPS game sneaking up on an enemy can be very exciting, like a rush, its this rush that makes gaming so addictive.

As gaming has progressed from 8-bit graphics to fully blown 3-D worlds, gaming has never been so good; from fantasy to realism we all love some kind of game. But why do game developers make games so addictive? Is it because they want us to buy more games to feed our ever-growing unhealthy obsession for gaming? Nope. I think its because they are gamers just like us, they have the ideas and concepts that mould a game to what it is when we put it in our console.

I want to be a games developer when I am older, making games for the next generation consoles that could be coming our way, Be part of making gamers from all around the world addicted to the game.

Games such as Halo for example offer the most addictive gameplay I have seen for a long while, With vast levels and an interesting and compelling storyline make it a game that you cannot put down. After completing the game on 2 difficulty settings, I still like to get that rush so I pick it up and play it.

Racing games give the impression of high-speed action in a realistic environment. Its amazing how today’s console only give a fine line between fantasy and reality, which is probably why we love games so much.

When I part with my hard earned cash for a game, its like buying something to feed my habit, I need more action, more adventure, more gaming. But why do people consider gaming as unhealthy, half of them consider drugs a better alternative!

I am looking forward to my next game, and many others. Gaming is my drug – what is yours?
Mon 19/08/02 at 15:19
Regular
Gaming, We all love it and play it, but why are games so addictive?

Gaming is a drug; you play it, walk away, crave it and play it more, but why is this? Is it because it gets us high up in the sky? Nope it’s because our brains are stimulated (stop sniggering in the back) releasing a little thing called adrenaline, when we play games adrenalin is pumped through our bodies in varied amounts. Such as in an FPS game sneaking up on an enemy can be very exciting, like a rush, its this rush that makes gaming so addictive.

As gaming has progressed from 8-bit graphics to fully blown 3-D worlds, gaming has never been so good; from fantasy to realism we all love some kind of game. But why do game developers make games so addictive? Is it because they want us to buy more games to feed our ever-growing unhealthy obsession for gaming? Nope. I think its because they are gamers just like us, they have the ideas and concepts that mould a game to what it is when we put it in our console.

I want to be a games developer when I am older, making games for the next generation consoles that could be coming our way, Be part of making gamers from all around the world addicted to the game.

Games such as Halo for example offer the most addictive gameplay I have seen for a long while, With vast levels and an interesting and compelling storyline make it a game that you cannot put down. After completing the game on 2 difficulty settings, I still like to get that rush so I pick it up and play it.

Racing games give the impression of high-speed action in a realistic environment. Its amazing how today’s console only give a fine line between fantasy and reality, which is probably why we love games so much.

When I part with my hard earned cash for a game, its like buying something to feed my habit, I need more action, more adventure, more gaming. But why do people consider gaming as unhealthy, half of them consider drugs a better alternative!

I am looking forward to my next game, and many others. Gaming is my drug – what is yours?
Mon 19/08/02 at 15:42
Regular
Guess what? - Gaming's my drug too, but it's a healthy drug.
I think why I'm so addicted to games is the "immersion" factor. It's a unique thing to be totally immersed in a game, in the gameplay, in a gameworld.
It doesn't matter if it's realistic sim or crackpot fantasy - it's all good addictive stuff.
Mon 19/08/02 at 15:52
Regular
Yeah.
Mon 19/08/02 at 16:19
Regular
Nomad Soul wrote:
> I'm so addicted to games is the "immersion" factor.

Same here.
Tue 20/08/02 at 08:59
Regular
I'm addicted to gaming chat forums. I ain't played a computer game in months. All I seem to do is talk about games but never play them. Ironic really.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.