GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming Theme-Parks"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/08/02 at 23:37
Regular
Aren't we due one by now? For those of you who have been to America then you will know by now that the Amusement parks like Disney, MGM and Universal are all based around either films or cartoon characters. Gaming is only second to the Music industry in terms of sales and popularity yet even though there are rides that are based on pop bands (Aero-Smith to name one) we are yet to see a Roller-Coaster named after one of our favourite games. The concept is fairly easy, take a game like Rez or Crazy Taxi and mix in a few loops along the way and create something that will not only be popular but will also attract the crowds, surely it isn't more complicated than this, or is it?

Gaming is an ever growing market, the concept of gaming has moved away from blocked graphics that move around the screen in a vertical and horizontal direction, the new era of gaming sees photo-realistic images that are put together with Oscar winning story-lines to create an experience which previously could only be witnessed on your Television's or in the cinema. Although Theme-parks don't specify an age range for their customers you can tell straight away that they aim towards young adults or thrill seeking 'junkies'. Take a look at the warning signs, people with heart complaints, pregnant women, children under a certain height, they are all present on a board which is placed at the entrance to a ride and this automatically puts people off straight away. A few weeks a go I went to Alton Towers and whilst I cued for Air, Shakira's latest song was playing in the back-ground and on the surrounding video-stations, it is a fact, Theme-Parks aim towards the younger generation of society, but in an era where video-games are bigger than music with teenagers don't you think its time to start the concept of gaming thrill-rides?

Not all games can be turned into Roller-Coasters, where would you start to build a Half-Life Roller-Coaster? The game doesn't contain traces of high speed, high adrenaline rushes (although some points are tense and action packed), straight away the idea of a Roller-Coaster built around this came becomes very hard to bring into reality. Having said that, not all films are turned into famous rides so the concept could be taken from particular adventures to re-create the fun which we play during the game. Imagine a Crazy-Taxi ride, the start could fire you out at a fast speed (as with Hulk in Islands of Adventure) and then you could speed around in a Taxi shaped vehicle whilst going through Zero-Gravity roles and adrenaline boosting loops, all to the beat of a song (just like the Aero-Smith ride in MGM). The ride would be an instant hit, advertising it on TV would attract more and more young people to come and experience the latest in 'Thrill seeking adventures', the possibilities are endless!

As of yet it doesn't seem apparent that any Theme-Park is going to take on the role of a ride based around gaming. Islands of Adventure is based around the Marvel Comic hero's, Hulk, Spider-Man, Dudley-do and Pop-eye all have their own feature rides, each one is a different thrill from the other yet they are still superb rides. When it comes to Roller-Coasters anything is possible, simulating flying on a ride called Air is the latest attempt and so far the ride has received nothing but praise, the praise is well deserved, but I still can't accept that we don't get ride our favourite Games whilst enjoying the excitement and thrill level that Roller-Coasters provide. Is it just a case of changing the name of a ride? Changing Air into Rez would surely work? I beg to differ, changing the name of one ride isn't enough, for the effect of a ride to pay off it needs to be in the correct atmosphere whilst taking on the role that the designer wanted from the start. For those who have visited Alton Towers will know that one of the scariest rides in terms of both thrill level and tension building is the infamous Nemesis. The ride sees you hit speeds of 65 mph whilst going through a Zero-Gravity barrel role into the mouth of the Nemesis, the music playing in the back-ground is designed to work you up before stepping foot onto the ride, and in my case it worked.

Most young-adults watch a lot of TV, advertisements employ people of a similar age to promote products which they can then sell to young people who know that the item of clothing or splash of after-shave they are wearing is street-wise and that you can do many things whilst wearing their product. Like a lot of young-adults I am taken into the 'media frenzy' that these adverts are trying to portray, if I see something advertised that looks good you can guarantee that by the end of the year I will own that product no matter how much it costs I will make sure that I own the advertisement. Getting that effect from an innate object shows how gullible I am in a society where companies know what they need to do in order to attract customers of a certain age. After watching the latest Alton Towers advert I knew that I wanted to be there, I wanted to 'Live the Magic' as the advert described, 2 weeks later I was there! What I am trying to say is, if adverts which previously had no effect or significance on the way I behaved grabbed my attention, imagine the effect that a Theme-Park advertising rides based around games would have on me and people of a similar age.

The idea of a 'Gaming Theme Park' is one that would both sell its image and attract fans of both gaming and Adrenaline 'Junkies' into the area. Taking a spread of games ranging from action to racing and then creating action packed rides out of them would strike the gaming industry and hit the gaming generation with a very powerful impact yet it will still attract fans of Class A Roller-Coasters and Thrill-Seekers to come and ride the latest in abnormal pleasures. Creating a theme would be easy as the games already portray their desired images through characters and gaming environments. Striking a balance between different forms of entertainment would work to their advantage; the film industry has managed to do strike the balance so the gaming industry if given a chance could have the same impact. The gaming industry is an ever growing franchise which doesn't look like it will not stop at anything, if a Theme-park was built with the way the current market is heading then it would hit the gaming industry with enough impact that would show non-gamers what they are missing out on and gamers... what the future holds!

Thanks for Reading!

Garbe123
Sun 18/08/02 at 23:37
Regular
Aren't we due one by now? For those of you who have been to America then you will know by now that the Amusement parks like Disney, MGM and Universal are all based around either films or cartoon characters. Gaming is only second to the Music industry in terms of sales and popularity yet even though there are rides that are based on pop bands (Aero-Smith to name one) we are yet to see a Roller-Coaster named after one of our favourite games. The concept is fairly easy, take a game like Rez or Crazy Taxi and mix in a few loops along the way and create something that will not only be popular but will also attract the crowds, surely it isn't more complicated than this, or is it?

Gaming is an ever growing market, the concept of gaming has moved away from blocked graphics that move around the screen in a vertical and horizontal direction, the new era of gaming sees photo-realistic images that are put together with Oscar winning story-lines to create an experience which previously could only be witnessed on your Television's or in the cinema. Although Theme-parks don't specify an age range for their customers you can tell straight away that they aim towards young adults or thrill seeking 'junkies'. Take a look at the warning signs, people with heart complaints, pregnant women, children under a certain height, they are all present on a board which is placed at the entrance to a ride and this automatically puts people off straight away. A few weeks a go I went to Alton Towers and whilst I cued for Air, Shakira's latest song was playing in the back-ground and on the surrounding video-stations, it is a fact, Theme-Parks aim towards the younger generation of society, but in an era where video-games are bigger than music with teenagers don't you think its time to start the concept of gaming thrill-rides?

Not all games can be turned into Roller-Coasters, where would you start to build a Half-Life Roller-Coaster? The game doesn't contain traces of high speed, high adrenaline rushes (although some points are tense and action packed), straight away the idea of a Roller-Coaster built around this came becomes very hard to bring into reality. Having said that, not all films are turned into famous rides so the concept could be taken from particular adventures to re-create the fun which we play during the game. Imagine a Crazy-Taxi ride, the start could fire you out at a fast speed (as with Hulk in Islands of Adventure) and then you could speed around in a Taxi shaped vehicle whilst going through Zero-Gravity roles and adrenaline boosting loops, all to the beat of a song (just like the Aero-Smith ride in MGM). The ride would be an instant hit, advertising it on TV would attract more and more young people to come and experience the latest in 'Thrill seeking adventures', the possibilities are endless!

As of yet it doesn't seem apparent that any Theme-Park is going to take on the role of a ride based around gaming. Islands of Adventure is based around the Marvel Comic hero's, Hulk, Spider-Man, Dudley-do and Pop-eye all have their own feature rides, each one is a different thrill from the other yet they are still superb rides. When it comes to Roller-Coasters anything is possible, simulating flying on a ride called Air is the latest attempt and so far the ride has received nothing but praise, the praise is well deserved, but I still can't accept that we don't get ride our favourite Games whilst enjoying the excitement and thrill level that Roller-Coasters provide. Is it just a case of changing the name of a ride? Changing Air into Rez would surely work? I beg to differ, changing the name of one ride isn't enough, for the effect of a ride to pay off it needs to be in the correct atmosphere whilst taking on the role that the designer wanted from the start. For those who have visited Alton Towers will know that one of the scariest rides in terms of both thrill level and tension building is the infamous Nemesis. The ride sees you hit speeds of 65 mph whilst going through a Zero-Gravity barrel role into the mouth of the Nemesis, the music playing in the back-ground is designed to work you up before stepping foot onto the ride, and in my case it worked.

Most young-adults watch a lot of TV, advertisements employ people of a similar age to promote products which they can then sell to young people who know that the item of clothing or splash of after-shave they are wearing is street-wise and that you can do many things whilst wearing their product. Like a lot of young-adults I am taken into the 'media frenzy' that these adverts are trying to portray, if I see something advertised that looks good you can guarantee that by the end of the year I will own that product no matter how much it costs I will make sure that I own the advertisement. Getting that effect from an innate object shows how gullible I am in a society where companies know what they need to do in order to attract customers of a certain age. After watching the latest Alton Towers advert I knew that I wanted to be there, I wanted to 'Live the Magic' as the advert described, 2 weeks later I was there! What I am trying to say is, if adverts which previously had no effect or significance on the way I behaved grabbed my attention, imagine the effect that a Theme-Park advertising rides based around games would have on me and people of a similar age.

The idea of a 'Gaming Theme Park' is one that would both sell its image and attract fans of both gaming and Adrenaline 'Junkies' into the area. Taking a spread of games ranging from action to racing and then creating action packed rides out of them would strike the gaming industry and hit the gaming generation with a very powerful impact yet it will still attract fans of Class A Roller-Coasters and Thrill-Seekers to come and ride the latest in abnormal pleasures. Creating a theme would be easy as the games already portray their desired images through characters and gaming environments. Striking a balance between different forms of entertainment would work to their advantage; the film industry has managed to do strike the balance so the gaming industry if given a chance could have the same impact. The gaming industry is an ever growing franchise which doesn't look like it will not stop at anything, if a Theme-park was built with the way the current market is heading then it would hit the gaming industry with enough impact that would show non-gamers what they are missing out on and gamers... what the future holds!

Thanks for Reading!

Garbe123
Sun 18/08/02 at 23:42
Great post there mate GAD winner surely
Sun 18/08/02 at 23:54
Regular
".......on the attac"
Sorry Ali, I couldn't be bothered reading it. Too long....
Sun 18/08/02 at 23:56
Regular
".......on the attac"
Boy, is my face red....

Wrong thread!
Sun 18/08/02 at 23:57
Regular
Silent85 wrote:
> Great post there mate GAD winner surely

Cheers Silent85!
Mon 19/08/02 at 09:58
Regular
I like the idea of a Crazy Taxi rollercoaster ride.
They could recreate the break-neck down-hill slopes of Pacific Heights in San Francisco.
Hmm, that would be cool. :)

And the Rez ride: a psychedelic blast through simulated inner-space with loads of colourful explosions accompanied by techno trance tunes.
I'd be first in the queue. :)
Mon 19/08/02 at 14:05
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Great post and a good idea Garbe!!!!

That would be reat if that happened, and I sure it would attract many people if they did that kind fo thing. A ride based on many great games would be very fun indeed and woudl definitely encourage people to perhaps buy games and encourage them to go on a ride..... for example, when Dreamcast sponsored Aresnal, many Sega fans bought an Arsenal t-shirt just because it had the word Dreamcast on, its sad but true! If people saw their fav games brought to a ride, many people would go on it, (including me)...

Now my ideas.....hmmmm:

Perhaps a Halo 1, where you get in a roller coaster disguised as a Banshee, or even a Jeep with holograms of the covenant shooting at you, perhaps it could be an ineractive ride where as the ride is zooming around you can shoot at the hologrames, that would be good!

Maybe a crazy taxi game as nomad said.....

Good idea Garbe!
Mon 19/08/02 at 14:15
Regular
Nice post Garbe! Yeah it would be cool, like the idea about Crazy Taxi
Mon 19/08/02 at 14:56
Regular
Thanks Console_Kid and Gamezfreak!
Mon 19/08/02 at 15:55
tis a good topic garbe123 and a good idea, one that will most definetely sell.

in my primary school, we had "tuck shops" to raise money for charity. the idea was people were supposed to bring food to sell to other kids, but the lazier people brought in a console and hooked it up to a tv.

people spent up to fifty pence on these consoles, for two minute shots. and after they had finished, they went to the back of the queue for one more try.

so, i agree, themeparks should definetley take not of the gaming industry as people seem to by merchandis whatever they are of. once i even saw a mario cuddy toy... sometimes, they just go too far.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.