GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft, the Xbox and More"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/11/00 at 13:13
Regular
Has anyone been wondering what Microsoft is up to lately, I think they’re trying to take over the Internet once again. We all know that they’re the big boys who brought us the (love it or hate it Windows operating system), but why the moves of late such as:

The X-box ????
The £93 million pounds paid for a 24.6% voting share in Corel????
Microsoft’s ".net" project???
Investment in NTL (can’t substantiate this one, the guy installing my NTL connection told me by word of mouth)????

Well Im just beginning to see what a clever man Gates is, some people think that buying shares in Corel is a way of Microsoft protecting itself from the US Governments Anti-Trust Lawsuit...
Which really is a disgrace, lets be honest OK you like having Internet Explorer free as Standard with Windows. But look at Netscape ... before Microsoft came along abusing its Monopoly, they were kings of the world...their web browser was the standard, then Microsoft made its own version Internet Explorer and Netscape’s Value plummeted overnight. Now of course if Internet Explorer was not free with windows this would not have happened.??? If you worked hard for Netscape you would be rightly annoyed with Microsoft.
Meanwhile around this time Microsoft gave Apple a large sum of money, to drop their Lawsuit (Apple were suing Microsoft for similarities between the Apple and Microsoft’s new OS Windows). The bribe only had the condition that Internet Explorer was part of Apples new OS.

The Big picture, do you see it yet, well when I tell you that Corel’s version of Linux, is arguably the most similar to Windows in use and appearance, and that as a result of Microsoft 24.6% shares Corel now has to work with Microsoft on Microsoft’s .Net Project.

Well it seems its all healthy competition, not likely. Why would Microsoft buy shares in a company that had set itself up as a direct competitor to its OS, a company that believes in a free OS for all??? Bare in mind if Microsoft Sold its shares in the Company it will go bust....Not healthy competition???
One reason is possible Protection from the US Governments lawsuit. But in my opinion it’s more likely that Microsoft are now setting up to take control of the low end of the Market. Now I use NTL, its free and a good service no complaints there...but then the Americans have had free Internet access for years, in this case its just BT being evil....so I don’t mind that. I recommend NTL to anyone, it takes a while to get your NTL disc, but I have got no reason to complain about the service.

The low end of the Market is the Key, Microsoft wants control of the internet be it on your Dreamcast (Why do you think Sonic the Blue Hedgehog was seen lately on an X-Box Demo), on your cheap PC running Linux (i.e. Corel), Your Apple Macintosh, Or your Powerful PC running The Latest version of Windows, or your set top box Connected to your Television (i.e. NTL).
As long as Microsoft’s Software connects you to the Internet you see its content, its vision.

Microsoft has stated that in the Future it expects all OS and software upgrades to be downloaded, at a one off payment or on a pay as you use basis...
This is what .net is you download only the software package you want to use, i.e. Excel with the latest version of Windows but nothing else... No doubt there will be a discount for buying lots of software together. This is a clever vision, how can you be anti-competitive if Microsoft give you the option of only downloading the software you want, nothing will be bundled together in one package, you choose.

Microsoft is in effect with .net blurring the definition of Application software with the OS software.... Hopefully then they won’t get split into 2 mini companies.

Its unlikely to get split up if BUSH becomes president.

Anyway to the point, what browser are you using, does it keep asking for the latest downloads of Microsoft Virtual Machine??? Do you play your MP3s on Windows Media Player, and more importantly did it change the file associations to make it the default MP3 player when you installed it, without asking you??? Somebody out there must know what Im talking about, Come on Sony protect the Low end of the Market...sell PS2 games cheap NOW.. or in a years time the X-box will come out with the ability to play cheap PC games, and X-box will eat you alive...

We all love computers and Games, but I don’t want one company controlling the whole picture, once USB modems are cheap enough for everyone Microsoft will dominate because of .net. Microsoft’s Vision will download to your machine in minutes not hours, and it will be hard to stop.

A final point once you control the software most people use to view the internet the Website designers will have to use your software to make their websites look good with your browser. I like some of the thing Microsoft has done, I like my cheap Internet access with NTL. But I don’t want them controlling everything...

Buy Nintendo or Sony Gamers, Use Winamp to play your MP3's. Competition is Good, when its fair, I hope the X-box drops the price of Console Games but I don’t want Microsoft dominating the low end of the market, What do you think?????
Sun 19/11/00 at 13:13
Has anyone been wondering what Microsoft is up to lately, I think they’re trying to take over the Internet once again. We all know that they’re the big boys who brought us the (love it or hate it Windows operating system), but why the moves of late such as:

The X-box ????
The £93 million pounds paid for a 24.6% voting share in Corel????
Microsoft’s ".net" project???
Investment in NTL (can’t substantiate this one, the guy installing my NTL connection told me by word of mouth)????

Well Im just beginning to see what a clever man Gates is, some people think that buying shares in Corel is a way of Microsoft protecting itself from the US Governments Anti-Trust Lawsuit...
Which really is a disgrace, lets be honest OK you like having Internet Explorer free as Standard with Windows. But look at Netscape ... before Microsoft came along abusing its Monopoly, they were kings of the world...their web browser was the standard, then Microsoft made its own version Internet Explorer and Netscape’s Value plummeted overnight. Now of course if Internet Explorer was not free with windows this would not have happened.??? If you worked hard for Netscape you would be rightly annoyed with Microsoft.
Meanwhile around this time Microsoft gave Apple a large sum of money, to drop their Lawsuit (Apple were suing Microsoft for similarities between the Apple and Microsoft’s new OS Windows). The bribe only had the condition that Internet Explorer was part of Apples new OS.

The Big picture, do you see it yet, well when I tell you that Corel’s version of Linux, is arguably the most similar to Windows in use and appearance, and that as a result of Microsoft 24.6% shares Corel now has to work with Microsoft on Microsoft’s .Net Project.

Well it seems its all healthy competition, not likely. Why would Microsoft buy shares in a company that had set itself up as a direct competitor to its OS, a company that believes in a free OS for all??? Bare in mind if Microsoft Sold its shares in the Company it will go bust....Not healthy competition???
One reason is possible Protection from the US Governments lawsuit. But in my opinion it’s more likely that Microsoft are now setting up to take control of the low end of the Market. Now I use NTL, its free and a good service no complaints there...but then the Americans have had free Internet access for years, in this case its just BT being evil....so I don’t mind that. I recommend NTL to anyone, it takes a while to get your NTL disc, but I have got no reason to complain about the service.

The low end of the Market is the Key, Microsoft wants control of the internet be it on your Dreamcast (Why do you think Sonic the Blue Hedgehog was seen lately on an X-Box Demo), on your cheap PC running Linux (i.e. Corel), Your Apple Macintosh, Or your Powerful PC running The Latest version of Windows, or your set top box Connected to your Television (i.e. NTL).
As long as Microsoft’s Software connects you to the Internet you see its content, its vision.

Microsoft has stated that in the Future it expects all OS and software upgrades to be downloaded, at a one off payment or on a pay as you use basis...
This is what .net is you download only the software package you want to use, i.e. Excel with the latest version of Windows but nothing else... No doubt there will be a discount for buying lots of software together. This is a clever vision, how can you be anti-competitive if Microsoft give you the option of only downloading the software you want, nothing will be bundled together in one package, you choose.

Microsoft is in effect with .net blurring the definition of Application software with the OS software.... Hopefully then they won’t get split into 2 mini companies.

Its unlikely to get split up if BUSH becomes president.

Anyway to the point, what browser are you using, does it keep asking for the latest downloads of Microsoft Virtual Machine??? Do you play your MP3s on Windows Media Player, and more importantly did it change the file associations to make it the default MP3 player when you installed it, without asking you??? Somebody out there must know what Im talking about, Come on Sony protect the Low end of the Market...sell PS2 games cheap NOW.. or in a years time the X-box will come out with the ability to play cheap PC games, and X-box will eat you alive...

We all love computers and Games, but I don’t want one company controlling the whole picture, once USB modems are cheap enough for everyone Microsoft will dominate because of .net. Microsoft’s Vision will download to your machine in minutes not hours, and it will be hard to stop.

A final point once you control the software most people use to view the internet the Website designers will have to use your software to make their websites look good with your browser. I like some of the thing Microsoft has done, I like my cheap Internet access with NTL. But I don’t want them controlling everything...

Buy Nintendo or Sony Gamers, Use Winamp to play your MP3's. Competition is Good, when its fair, I hope the X-box drops the price of Console Games but I don’t want Microsoft dominating the low end of the market, What do you think?????
Tue 21/11/00 at 12:49
If you want futher Discussion on this Please Go to the "Future of Gaming Forum" , look for the article Titled

"Microsoft Targets the Low End of the
Market, X-box and More"

Thanks Jimmy

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.