GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"(Another...) Final Fantasy - My thoughts / ideas"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/08/02 at 17:56
Regular
Well, the news has hit, a Final Fantasy game exclusive for the GameCube to combat the God knows how many that have and will appear on the PlayStation and PS2. So far the ‘word on the street’ is that there won’t be any turn based combat this time round though. Rumours about a Secret of Mana style of combat are also floating around.

First I’m going to address the issue of the combat then. Is it a good thing that there’s no turn based combat (if this is the case, since it’s still not clear...)? Hmm. I’m not sure. I think I’m right in saying that all previous FF games had turn based combat. So will doing away with this element make the game feel less like a ‘real’ FF game? Maybe. So why take the risk? Probably because Nintendo gamers haven’t been playing turn based games since the SNES. Granted, Paper Mario and a clutch of other games on the N64 had some sort of take on a turn based combat system, but Paper Mario was a more simplistic style and the only other game I can think of that had turn based combat of a sort (Hybrid Heaven) was a sort of turn based beat em up combo. Maybe Square are scared Nintendo gamers won’t embrace the turn based style. Maybe they’re too scared of changing to a real time style in the PS2 series, as the PS2 FF games have become such an established franchise, so they don’t want to risk a bold move like this on them.

But is a real time combat system going to be better? I’m not sure. Both systems have good points and bad points. Real time battles do offer the feel of more freedom due to no menus, and having to execute moves yourself, not select them from a list. But turn based combat often offers a wider range of moves/spells/items etc to use. Which is ‘best’ is largely a matter of taste.

But I’m not even sure the infamous FF style combat system is what makes the game. I much preferred FF7 to 8. I did prefer the no. 7 battle system to no. 8 (although both were turn based) but I think the real reason I liked FF7 over 8 was because of the plotline. I liked it a lot. I thought the plot in FF8 was more than a little stupid.

Another thing that was brought to my attention. If there’s no turn based combat, will there be just one hero? Most of the games have had a single main character as well as a host of others who you can choose from to make a three (or in some of the games four) strong team. Will this be lost in the GameCube edition? Hopefully not. Other characters can add more plot twists, sub-plots, and can be very humorous, as well as adding extra depth to combat. The addition of extra sub-plots depending on who you choose to be in your group adds some extra amount of replay value too if you want to discover the whole background of each character, and fully realise the plot. I think doing away with a team would definitely be a bad move.

So, what of the innovative new link up with the GBA? Well, here’s where my conspiracy theory of sorts comes into play. Apparently Crystal Chronicles on the GBA and Cube are the same game, and some kind of data will be switched between the two. I think we can only guess what this data could be. It could be anything from baby Chocobos (assuming they’re retained...) much like the Chao’s seen in Sonic Adventure 2, to save file data, because if they’re the same game you could download the save game to your GBA cart and carry on playing on the bus, at school, etc. But here’s my theory. While they are going to be one and the same game, I’m thinking what if the GameCube version has the real time combat that everyone seems to think it has, while the GBA version has turn based combat? I don’t see how they could re-create the same worlds and, more specifically, battles, on GBA as the Cube version if both had to be real time battles. The GBA simply couldn’t handle the same kind of real time combat system, so I think that they will re-create the same enemies, bosses, etc. but put them in a turn-based system. The game, plot, characters, etc. could all be the same. Only the game would have two separate experiences for battles. Turn based battles using menus etc. on the GBA and real time scrapping on the Cube. I think it’s a very real possibility...
Mon 19/08/02 at 23:11
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
In The Secret of Mana you played in real time and wandered around a kind of overhead view of the world... (much like Zelda on the SNES) but unlike Zelda you had a bar at the bottom that went from 0-100% the bar would fill up at a certain rate, and depending how highit was when you hit an enemy you would deal varying amounts of damage to them. When you attacked the bar went back to 0 and it started again, except all this time you can move, run away, etc. and so can the enemy. If you attacked on 100% power you did a big hit and hurt the enemy a lot. So basically you could rapidly attack an enemy but it would deal little damage per hit, or you could wait for the power meter to fill up. That's basically it I think, but I haven't played the game in years so I may be a bit out...

The FF games could even adopt a style similar to Hybrid Heaven on the N64. You can move around, as can the enemy, in a pre set area once you enter combat, and can only attack when a bar has filled up. However, in HH you could wait for the bar to fill up multiple times to carry out multi-hit combos- they could use this for either combos or you have to have the bar full up 2, 3, however many times to carry out some of the more powerful moves/magic. Also, whenever the enemy attacks you have various options (in HH I think these were defend, counter or dodge).

These are possibilites. Another thought is what about multiplay? In a real-time/ semi real time combat system like these two, you can only control one character. So what about co-op mode...? A co-op mode could add great replayability, and each player could customise their chosen character and take on specific roles in group ie. attacker, healer, magician, etc.

Whatever path the game takes it has huge potential. Lets hope it delivers...
Mon 19/08/02 at 22:59
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Yup you're right Sibs, that's what I meant by world map, it wasn't like that in FFX, shame, I loved those maps.

Anyone ever play Vandal Hearts?

Quite old now I suppose, it was on the PS1, that had a great battle system which when thinking about it is better that your usual FF one now, the only problem being that everything is turn based even your everyday casual movement(If you've played/heard of it, you will know what I mean). Maybe some sort of split where in the towns and shops you move about normally wheras when on the road this system kicks in.

It could work.
Mon 19/08/02 at 22:43
Regular
Run me through the Secret of Mana style.

Perhaps a Pikmin style would work.
You control your buddies with the C-Stick, and win by throwing them on top of the enemy! :-D

Or perhaps you control the main character (the others fight using computer AI), and switch to others, to use certain skills.
You could also give general orders to the AI controlled characters using the D-pad (like Rogue Leader) e.g. tell them to go all out attack (if you're in a hurry) or avoid damage as much as possible (if you're biding your time)...

That sort of thing...
Mon 19/08/02 at 22:32
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
The 'Secret Of Mana' style combat is still a possibility... although quite how a team would work with that I'm not sure...
Mon 19/08/02 at 22:28
Regular
So the Gamecube Final Fantasy is getting Gameplay AS WELL as a storyline?
Could be the best FF game yet...

Turn based combat does allow for some impressive visuals, but I think that the Gamecube is powerful enough for good visuals in real time too.
Besides, it looks a bit corny, your team just standing there, taking it in turns to be attacked...

And if Nintendo are financing this project with their Q-fund, they're going to want to make it something special...
Mon 19/08/02 at 22:12
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Yeah, but what I meant was that the last Nintendo home console (N64) had very few turn based games. While Pokemon on the GB was turn based, like Paper Mario, is was kind of stripped down, and not as complex as the Final Fantasy style of turn based combat usually is.

Also, sorry if I'm not up to date with the FF series Doc, the last one I played was no. 8! What do you mean they did away with the world map...? Do you mean the area like in FF7 where you could go around in the Highwind then land and go on foot, etc? If that's the bit you mean, then I hope they retain that for the GC version!
Mon 19/08/02 at 20:54
they have changed it from turned based fighting for some weird reason, but not because nintendo people wont like it. they bought millions of pokemon games which if i remembre rightly was turn based.

it could be to try out peoples reactions to cutting the turn based fighting from the game, so if people like it this way, for the inevitable next ff theyll keep it non turn based
Mon 19/08/02 at 20:49
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Damn that's what you get for messing about with your sign up names, that was actually me.

I may as well add to what I said, I also think that the world maps should stay, it dissapeared in FFX, hopefully there will be one in the GC version, I always liked just travelling around, it feels more umm adventure like. :)
Mon 19/08/02 at 20:44
Regular
"~H~I~M~"
I say keep the turn based battle systems it's just so FF, plus it offers more strategy and thinking.

Hopefully the inclusion of more characters as usual is included it opens the games story up entirely for all sorts of backstabbing, heartbraking friendship making fun.

Personally I hope it's just more of the same for the Gamecube only maybe a storyline that beats the FF7 brilliance, lots of sub quests too please.

As for the GBA linkup I agree with you, it will be a chocobo raising thing, maybe it could be something that opens up new areas or weapons/items, it could also be used in a similar way as the sphere grid from FFX only you and friends could swap items and so on. Nice thoughts Sibs.
Mon 19/08/02 at 19:00
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Well, if they go totally real time, implementing an experience point system (something which they seriously must keep otherwise it will just feel like a Zelda rip-off game...) would be pretty difficult, so if it is real time it could well be a Secret of Mana style real time system... But I spose we're just going to have to wait and see...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.