GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"internet speed problems"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/06/08 at 03:14
Regular
since joining freeola i have been very disappointed in the reliability of my internet speed, i am sure something is going wrong. At night my speed is dropping right down and early evening is not always that great

a bt speed test done tonight shows

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2863 kbps

which is poor, on my old isp fast4 i would usually get a speed of over 6mbs and this seemed to drop as soon as i migrated over.

i know the download limits are off late at night but this speed impact is not really acceptable. My ping seems to stay stable at about 28-30 to maidenhead on speedtest.net

when i joined i also had to reduce my mtu to 1491 from 1500 as some sites would not load. i am going to do some tests on the connection in my house first but i was wondering what other peoples speeds are and what is the best format for submitting a fault and which tests do they trust

i live less then 1km from my exchange so should be getting a good speed

any help or advice would be appreciated

thanks
Sat 07/06/08 at 03:14
Regular
since joining freeola i have been very disappointed in the reliability of my internet speed, i am sure something is going wrong. At night my speed is dropping right down and early evening is not always that great

a bt speed test done tonight shows

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2863 kbps

which is poor, on my old isp fast4 i would usually get a speed of over 6mbs and this seemed to drop as soon as i migrated over.

i know the download limits are off late at night but this speed impact is not really acceptable. My ping seems to stay stable at about 28-30 to maidenhead on speedtest.net

when i joined i also had to reduce my mtu to 1491 from 1500 as some sites would not load. i am going to do some tests on the connection in my house first but i was wondering what other peoples speeds are and what is the best format for submitting a fault and which tests do they trust

i live less then 1km from my exchange so should be getting a good speed

any help or advice would be appreciated

thanks
Sat 07/06/08 at 08:12
Regular
Hi Mr Zoot, Freeola will only take results from the BT Speed tester, when I was having a similar problem they pined it down to my old router, I wasnt convinced but went with the suggestion and they sent out a new Zyxel router and touch wood we have been flying along ever since (bar a couple of outages)

do you have another router you can try?

Digi
Sat 07/06/08 at 11:31
"Are you sure?"
Hi mrzoot,
Your connection/line looks good from those stats.
Nearly maximum sync and you have the correct IP Profile for that speed.

You also need to check the status of Freeola's ADSL centrals which can get busy around 10pm when the offpeak period starts and people start downloading - but this doesn't normally last for too long. As all weekends are offpeak this period can also get busy.

Freeola use something called the ALT (anti-loss tool) which will reduce peoples download speed but maintain their ping and latency which is good for gaming and general surfing.

If you find you are on a crowded central pipe then it's worth switching. Don't reboot your router to do this but just disconnect and reconnect your connection (via your router GUI) and then check your current central pipe again.

FYI - There are currently 6 central pipes available with a seventh on it's way :¬)

I've put more on understanding ADSL here...

If the central's are running normally and you are still not getting your full through-put then other factors like local exchange contention may be relevant.

Note: I'm only a interested amateur but I'm sure Freeola will correct me as required...

Search Freeola Chat
Sun 08/06/08 at 21:23
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
From the stats you have posted it is likely, although not certain, that your connection has what is commonly know as a 'stuck profile'. This means that the RADIUS sever, which is responsible for things like checking you user details when you login and setting your throughput speed, on the ADSL network has set you speed too low for your profile. A common resaon for this is that BT haven't sent through you line rate. This is particularly common when migrating providers.
Please could you raise a support ticket here so that someone can look into this for you. Include a link to this thread to that you don't have to type everything you've put here again if you like.
We will sort this out for you as quickly as possible.
Sun 08/06/08 at 23:42
Regular
thanks guys

i dont think its a stuck profile as tonight on speedtest.net i got 5835kbs down and 379kbs up (23:40)it just seems very eratic and the mtu thing is weird as well thats why i want to check my own equipment first, i am waiting for the next speed drop and try out some bits unless anyone knows different
Mon 09/06/08 at 00:17
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Ah no not a profile issue then. What's the router you are using? Does it have any QoS (traffic priority) settings? If so try disabling all QoS options. Check your router manufacturers website for the latest firmware and upgrade if necessary. Also what exchange are you on?
Wed 11/06/08 at 02:01
Regular
it is a dlink dsl-g604t, i do not believe there is any qos set on it, it has been flashed to an australian firmware which is probably the best version.

i do have my suspicions on the wireless link as i am running vista 64 and my belkin wireless dongle is using a gigabyte driver as belkin do not have a 64bit driver for my one (most wireless usb adapters use ralink equipment so most can use the same drivers)

next speed drop and i will change to a wired connection to see if there is any difference.

these are my router stats

SNR Margin 10 23 dB
Line Attenuation 19 10 dB
Data Rate 7616 448 kbps
Sat 14/06/08 at 01:14
Regular
have replaced my cable and filter and now connect to the router through my network cable not the wireless and still have the mtu trouble, speeds are still eratic but generaly better.

might try to borrow a different router from somebody to see how that works or maybe flash the firmware of my d link if there is any more recent uk ones

what do you mean be 'type of exchange' here is the samknows site for it

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EAMAL
Sat 14/06/08 at 08:16
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
mrzoot wrote:
> it is a dlink dsl-g604t, i do not believe there is any qos set on
> it, it has been flashed to an australian firmware which is
> probably the best version.
>
I use the same router DSL-G604T, bought from and pre-set up by Freeola and have not experienced any problems. The QoS setting on mine is UBR - if that's any help:)
Tue 17/06/08 at 21:00
Regular
been doing some playing about and have found that i can now put my mtu settings back to 1500 because i have changed the modulation type to g.dmt from mmode

does anyone know what modulation they are using or are supposed to use

thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.