GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"internet speed problems"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/06/08 at 03:14
Regular
since joining freeola i have been very disappointed in the reliability of my internet speed, i am sure something is going wrong. At night my speed is dropping right down and early evening is not always that great

a bt speed test done tonight shows

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2863 kbps

which is poor, on my old isp fast4 i would usually get a speed of over 6mbs and this seemed to drop as soon as i migrated over.

i know the download limits are off late at night but this speed impact is not really acceptable. My ping seems to stay stable at about 28-30 to maidenhead on speedtest.net

when i joined i also had to reduce my mtu to 1491 from 1500 as some sites would not load. i am going to do some tests on the connection in my house first but i was wondering what other peoples speeds are and what is the best format for submitting a fault and which tests do they trust

i live less then 1km from my exchange so should be getting a good speed

any help or advice would be appreciated

thanks
Mon 30/06/08 at 23:10
Regular
Thanks for your link Hmmm, nice site you have there. very useful

i have been watching the pipes but my speed never really seemed to get up to what i expected on any particular pipe

this weekend though i suddenly realised that since a couple of weeks ago when i changed to a wired connection to my router, i had left my wireless connection open with no security, i shut it off and now my speeds have improved so maybe i did sort out the problem and someone was leeching my internet connection for the last two weeks, it seems unlikly where i live but you never know (i had a friend who had connected to his neighbours router by accident and spent 2 weeks complaining of poor internet connection till i sorted it out for him)

maybe its all a strange coincedence but for 3 days days now my speed has been around 6meg as it should be.

i still have the mtu problem though, the max i can go to is 1491 before i start losing websites
at my previous isp i was 1500, vista seems to be at 1500 would still like to try a new router at some point

thanks for your help
Fri 27/06/08 at 09:26
"Are you sure?"
Just to check once more, but have you looked at the state of the Central Pipes when this occurs?

Things have been rather unbalanced lately with Centrals 5 and 6 soon getting full and not delivering normal speeds. This week this has been happening most afternoons and then clears - perhaps with lots of people streaming tennis over their connection?

Yesterday I was suffering; found that I was on Central Pipe 5 - dropped my PPP connection and reconnected until I picked Pipe 2 (it's just the luck of the draw which pipe you get) and then things returned to normal for me.

Search Freeola Chat
Thu 26/06/08 at 23:42
Regular
still getting erratic speeds and the mtu problem, have been checking my settings in vista and all is well there so my last thing will be to get a new router and if i still have problems then it will be time to start harassing freeola
Wed 18/06/08 at 22:58
Regular
cheers mitch but at the moment i am looking at vistas internet autotune which controls the mtu setting, i have just found it can be turned off and the mtu set manually so i am going to try that which may explain why i was able to get the web pages then lost them again a little later
Wed 18/06/08 at 06:28
Regular
"Orion2050"
Have you tried editing your gpedit.msc Group Policy Settings (XP PRO Only)

Start -> Run -> type in gpedit.msc open up the console go to Computer Configuration, then Administrative Templates, then Network then Qos Packet scheduler.

Explaination First:
By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default.

If you drop the figure to 0 you will in fact take back 20% from XP as XP, by default takes 20% over your optimum broadband connection speed.

It does work, configured for the NHS in Bridgend and there was quite a bit of diference across the network.

Another solutions, if you know someone who knows about Phone Electicals is to disable the bell circuit from your phone's wall connection, you will see a greater download speed!
Wed 18/06/08 at 01:12
Regular
no improvement so my next test will be trying a different pc on my network, will try one with xp os probably at the weekend
Tue 17/06/08 at 23:39
Regular
thanks, but an hour later i stopped being able to get to some of the websites again with an mtu of 1500, reduced it down to 1491 and i can access them again, the main one i use to check is my old isp www.fast4.net (they are awful no one even think about joining them

the main page appears but i cannot get to any of the links, it seems really eratic, i can ping there ip address 84.45.23.19 ok, the only spare router i have is another dlink but has different firmware so will try that
Tue 17/06/08 at 22:39
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
You should be using G.992.1 (G.DMT), which is the standard for ADSL1.
Tue 17/06/08 at 21:00
Regular
been doing some playing about and have found that i can now put my mtu settings back to 1500 because i have changed the modulation type to g.dmt from mmode

does anyone know what modulation they are using or are supposed to use

thanks
Sat 14/06/08 at 08:16
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
mrzoot wrote:
> it is a dlink dsl-g604t, i do not believe there is any qos set on
> it, it has been flashed to an australian firmware which is
> probably the best version.
>
I use the same router DSL-G604T, bought from and pre-set up by Freeola and have not experienced any problems. The QoS setting on mine is UBR - if that's any help:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.