GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My notables suggestion"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/08/02 at 16:23
Regular
With the impending notable elections almost upon us, and notable threads clogging up the forum, I have decided to clog them up even more. And this is not a 'vote me' thread.

In my opinion, there are only a few more people deserving to be a notable, and in a year or so's time, there will be so many notables the disparity between a notable and regular will have been reduced - basically, being a notable won't be as exclusive or prestigious of half the users are one.

My suggestion is this - as has been advocated in the past by quite a few users, why not employ a 'revolving door' policy? This policy works whereby we have a set number of notables - say 10, who are recognised as making a considerable contribution to the site. At each election, rather than have to add more and more notables, thus devaluing the title, why not add 2 and take away 2?

That way elections would become much more interesting, current notables would have to prove why they are notable to make sure they don't lose their status, and people can vote for who they think has made the best contribution for the last three months, and who they shoudl replace.As exemplified by Sonicrav indicating he was willing to give up his notability becuase he was going to spend considerably less time on the site, it would also mean we don't have notables who never come on or are unable to.

Just a suggestion, that's all.
Sat 17/08/02 at 16:23
Regular
With the impending notable elections almost upon us, and notable threads clogging up the forum, I have decided to clog them up even more. And this is not a 'vote me' thread.

In my opinion, there are only a few more people deserving to be a notable, and in a year or so's time, there will be so many notables the disparity between a notable and regular will have been reduced - basically, being a notable won't be as exclusive or prestigious of half the users are one.

My suggestion is this - as has been advocated in the past by quite a few users, why not employ a 'revolving door' policy? This policy works whereby we have a set number of notables - say 10, who are recognised as making a considerable contribution to the site. At each election, rather than have to add more and more notables, thus devaluing the title, why not add 2 and take away 2?

That way elections would become much more interesting, current notables would have to prove why they are notable to make sure they don't lose their status, and people can vote for who they think has made the best contribution for the last three months, and who they shoudl replace.As exemplified by Sonicrav indicating he was willing to give up his notability becuase he was going to spend considerably less time on the site, it would also mean we don't have notables who never come on or are unable to.

Just a suggestion, that's all.
Sat 17/08/02 at 16:45
Regular
"Selected"
Best. Suggestion. Ever.

Seconded.
Sat 17/08/02 at 17:21
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
This idea has been brought up a few times. To be honest though I wouldn't want to take away anyones right to remain a notable. All of them earned it and its always nice for everyone to have something to aim for.

Who cares if there ends up being loads of notables if they've earned it. Its not like they become some big leader of the forums or anything, the notable status is given to people who have been giving a big contribution to the forums. If we had to vote someone out of that status, I personally wouldn't take part in that vote cause I wouldn't see it as fair when all of them are good posters.

Anyway, good luck to everyone in the upcoming election. ;-)
Sat 17/08/02 at 17:29
Regular
RM18 wrote:

> My suggestion is this - as has been advocated in the past by quite a
> few users, why not employ a 'revolving door' policy? This policy works
> whereby we have a set number of notables - say 10, who are recognised
> as making a considerable contribution to the site. At each election,
> rather than have to add more and more notables, thus devaluing the
> title, why not add 2 and take away 2?

Damn right. In the 6 months i've been here i've barely even seen Sniper- and what i have seen is something which doesn't inspire that much admiration for the guy. Pro Evo as well- maybe he has been on holiday? But since he was elected he seems to have been away for a hell of a long time. I think 2 is a bit harsh though, but i think it would make more sense if we simply did this type of thing every other election.
Sat 17/08/02 at 17:35
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I suggested something like this a while ago, except this idea is slightly better than mine. My idea was to keep the notable elections as is, but have another one along with it,where one notable was voted for to go up one more level, then at the next vote they would lose that higher level and become a notable again, unless they were re-elected. But my idea doesn't include dropping a notable or two back to regular, which is why I think yours is better.
Sat 17/08/02 at 22:46
Regular
People are taking this notable business FAR too seriously...

It's no big deal, honestly. Just a little bit of fun.
Sat 17/08/02 at 23:29
Regular
"everyone says it"
I have suggested this on a number of occasions.
Sat 17/08/02 at 23:31
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I think it was mentioned after like the second one

Although it would make things fun even if I got kicked oot
Sat 17/08/02 at 23:33
Regular
"everyone says it"
SHEEPY wrote:
> I think it was mentioned after like the second one
>
> Although it would make things fun even if I got kicked oot

Could be bronze coloured :D
Sun 18/08/02 at 00:58
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Quinty wrote:
Pro Evo as well- maybe he has been on
> holiday? But since he was elected he seems to have been away for a
> hell of a long time.

Yeh he's been on hol and only got back recently, thats why he aint been on.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.