GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Will it ever stop?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/08/02 at 10:29
Regular
Will it ever stop?

Constantly some of you people go on and on wasting your time trying to make one console seem better just because you have it.
Thats what it comes down to with most of you:

"I have the [console] therefore its better!"

You just dont like other people to think they have something "better" than you. Well tough. Either buy all three consoles or dont insult other consoles and make the one you have seem godly.

You can think that yourself but dont try and shove your believes onto others. If you have FACTS then fine but dont make up stuff just to make the console you own seem better.

Saying "Game A is better than Game B" is NOT valid at all. Everybody has different tastes. This is also the reason why game magazines review scores are not valid. It all depends on the reviewer.

Why does everbody insist on wasting theirs, and others, time by posting rubbish. If you dont like a console for whatever reason then stay away from that consoles forum. Its that simple.

If you want to post a well thoughtout comparison between the three consoles then feel free. But do NOT blatantly put down a console in them. It is so obvious when somebody has a large preference towards one console. It shows through in everything that is written. You have to be 100% openminded if you want to write a comparison worth reading.

So can everybody just try to stop posting rubbish and degrading these forums to an immature childrens playground, because thats what they currently are. When new users sign up to Special Reserve and they see the forums most of them wont hang around. They see all of these repetitive topics will nothing in them and they leave. They will go to forums that have mature people in them that have got over the whole "console wars" era. But here it seems like an ongoing struggle to prove one the overall winner, but the fact is that there can be no, nor will there ever be, a true winner.

So next time you are going to post something that is just assaulting a console then stop and think: "Does this really needs to be said?".
If things keep going the way they are then these forums may as well be dead.
Fri 16/08/02 at 10:29
Will it ever stop?

Constantly some of you people go on and on wasting your time trying to make one console seem better just because you have it.
Thats what it comes down to with most of you:

"I have the [console] therefore its better!"

You just dont like other people to think they have something "better" than you. Well tough. Either buy all three consoles or dont insult other consoles and make the one you have seem godly.

You can think that yourself but dont try and shove your believes onto others. If you have FACTS then fine but dont make up stuff just to make the console you own seem better.

Saying "Game A is better than Game B" is NOT valid at all. Everybody has different tastes. This is also the reason why game magazines review scores are not valid. It all depends on the reviewer.

Why does everbody insist on wasting theirs, and others, time by posting rubbish. If you dont like a console for whatever reason then stay away from that consoles forum. Its that simple.

If you want to post a well thoughtout comparison between the three consoles then feel free. But do NOT blatantly put down a console in them. It is so obvious when somebody has a large preference towards one console. It shows through in everything that is written. You have to be 100% openminded if you want to write a comparison worth reading.

So can everybody just try to stop posting rubbish and degrading these forums to an immature childrens playground, because thats what they currently are. When new users sign up to Special Reserve and they see the forums most of them wont hang around. They see all of these repetitive topics will nothing in them and they leave. They will go to forums that have mature people in them that have got over the whole "console wars" era. But here it seems like an ongoing struggle to prove one the overall winner, but the fact is that there can be no, nor will there ever be, a true winner.

So next time you are going to post something that is just assaulting a console then stop and think: "Does this really needs to be said?".
If things keep going the way they are then these forums may as well be dead.
Fri 16/08/02 at 10:37
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
totally agree with you mate this whole console *war* is boring me now. Why don't people just get on playing with their console and it's games instead of spending time insulting others
Fri 16/08/02 at 11:50
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I just leave those fan boys to argue pointlessly about why their console is better than everyone else’s. I instead play the two game machines I have and enjoy them, which is something I don't think some of those people who continue to argue do very much of.
Fri 16/08/02 at 18:45
"For the horde!!!!"
starts claping at Your Olympic Hero's speech.
Fri 16/08/02 at 20:21
Hey, listen up.

It's fine for you to go parading round with a 'I'm too mature for that' attitude. But perhaps if you put your glasses back on and stopped being so short sighted, you'd notice that the whole of the gaming industry revolves around this so-called 'console war'.

The CEO's of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, need competition from other companies, so they can make their money.

The pressure from larger companies puts pressure on developers to make better games, but somehow crap games, like Jet Ion GP are still around.

These games that continually increase in quality, impress the console owners enough to purchase the game, and then brag about it to others, creating endless debates and discussions among friends.

So now think to yourself how much worse life would be without a 'console war'. There'd be piles of endlessly crap games around like Jet Ion GP. You'd have nothing to talk about except for Eastenders. And the entire gaming industry would ultimately die.

Take heed.
Ross
Sat 17/08/02 at 09:29
Shoeless Joe wrote:
> Hey, listen up.
>
> It's fine for you to go parading round with a 'I'm too mature for
> that' attitude. But perhaps if you put your glasses back on and
> stopped being so short sighted, you'd notice that the whole of the
> gaming industry revolves around this so-called 'console war'.
>
> The CEO's of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, need competition from other
> companies, so they can make their money.
>
> The pressure from larger companies puts pressure on developers to make
> better games, but somehow crap games, like Jet Ion GP are still
> around.
>
> These games that continually increase in quality, impress the console
> owners enough to purchase the game, and then brag about it to others,
> creating endless debates and discussions among friends.
>
> So now think to yourself how much worse life would be without a
> 'console war'. There'd be piles of endlessly crap games around like
> Jet Ion GP. You'd have nothing to talk about except for Eastenders.
> And the entire gaming industry would ultimately die.
>
> Take heed.
> Ross

This post is barely even related to what I was talking about. If you actually understood my post then you would know this. But I will respond to what you have said anyway.

Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft will ALWAYS compete. It doesnt matter if people sit there saying their console is better. The three companies are only bothered about making sales. As long as games continue to sell well and they are making a profit then they dont care.

If, without a console war, all you could tal about is a soap opera then I am afraid that you lack conversational skills. Sorry, but you do. I talk to my friends, people on the internet and people on forums all the time and I never have to talk about console wars or soap operas.

The quality of games would not be worse either. For a start most games are third party. Now just because people arent saying "My console is better than yours" it doesnt mean people like Squaresoft, AKI, Sega or THQ are going to suddenly stop trying when they are making games. People dont need to go on about how their console is better to actually buy the product, and to the companies sales are what matters the most.

Competition is not needed at all. If games arent good then people wont buy them. Everybody, apart from seemingly you, knows this so the companies wouldnt just say "Release a black and white version of Tetris for £40". They would continue to make games at the same standard and probably better.

In conclusion the console war does not affect game companies. Instead it just clutters up forums with pages of junk from people who are not willing to accept that the other consoles are as good as or better than theirs. They want to try and convince us theirs is better but they also want to convince themselves that they havent made the wrong purchase.

One more thing that I want to mention is the fact that gaming should not even be bothered about the consoles. The consoles are nothing without what really matters - the games. A console is a limit. No game has reached the limit of their console. So you cant even fairly compare which console is better as you have not seen the full capabilities of each one yet.
Sat 17/08/02 at 13:00
Ok, fair play to you. But let me take this a little further:

If you've ever read 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchet, not only would you realise its not a very good book, but that the message entwined within the paragraphs is oh so true. The message that if there was no evil in the world, life would be dull, much like life on Albert Square. (And that was just a reference, no need to take it too far)

"Hold on" you are thinking, "what the hell has this got to do with the console war?". Well let me explain, currently there are four major platforms for gaming; PC, PS2, GC and the Xbox. Most people have a PC so that can really be discounted. But the important thing is that at the moment people have a choice between the consoles, but when I purchased my PS2 it was the console around, and my reasons for buying were these:

I already had a PSX and enjoyed it thoroughly.
A few of my other friends said that they were going to get one.
I'd seen adverts and reviews of the launch games and very impressed.
I'd heard about all of the future titles heading to the PS2.
I got SSX free when I bought my PS2 from Woolworths ;)

Not once did I think about what Sony would spend my £220 on, for all I care they could of bought some new office plants, becuase I was happy with my purchase, and to this day I still am.

So Sony got my share of the sales, and I had no intention of buying any of the other consoles and I still don't.

But my point is, that if we consumers didnt get a choice, like if there was only one console and we either purchased it or we didn't, then Mr CompanyOwner or whoever, would have to worry about other companies taking his potential customers away, so he could sit back, hand out sums of money to developers to make games for him and his console and watch the money roll in. But currently, if a company wants to make money, its going to have to make its product better than its competitors, so the console war can only mean good things in the long run. But short term if you're so irritated by everyone talking about the console wars then go join the 'Soap Opera' fan forum.

But most importantly, if you want everyone to stop this console war, you are asking them to ignore one of their basic human characteristics - loyalty. Do you not show loyalty to your parents? Do you go and treat every human in the world with the same love and respect that you do your parents? Do you not support a football team. Do you support every team in every leaugue. Its not becuase we think some is actually the best, its becuase we are loyal to what we have.

You cannot tell someone not to be human.

Face the facts.
Ross
Sat 17/08/02 at 14:16
"High polygon count"
Your Olympic Hero wrote:
> You can think that yourself but dont try and shove your believes onto
> others. If you have FACTS then fine but dont make up stuff just to
> make the console you own seem better.

Long story short:

I've always been a PlayStation fan, but I have all three machines.

Based purely on the software available and software to come (because that's how it should be, surely?), my preffered machine is still PS2.

The Xbox in terms of software has for me been a let-down so far.

I can't honestly say that Nintendo have ever let me down, because I've never owned anything of theirs (apart from an original Gameboy), but I do still see much of their software as being geared towards a younger audience.

So if my life depended on me giving up two of the machines, I'd stick with Sony's machines, simply because they've never let me down on the software side.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.