GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Great Expectations"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/08/02 at 22:42
Regular
Today when I flicked the power switch on my Playstation 2 and was greeted with the PS2 logo I was struck with a horrible feeling. I realised I was no longer enjoying playing games on my beloved system, it felt like more of a chore. I asked myself why I could possibly feel this way and the answer I received was "expectation". "Expectation?" I hear you ask. "What the hell do you mean?" What I mean is this....technology is progressing at an astonishing rate, which means our computer systems are constantly being swapped for something for something more powerful and fun.

In the early days of Playstation 2 there were already whispers of Playstation 3, and in recent weeks and months these whispers have been finding a stronger voice, raising many expectations of a more powerful machine being in the making. It's the same situation with the computer games themselves. We pick up our copy of let's say, Fifa 2002, and we know when playing this game that there is something "better" coming along in the next 12 months.

Granted not all sequels are an improvement on previous games in the series but nevertheless the hype surrounding the games pre-release lead us to believe they are. My point in all this is I feel that these days, advancements are creeping up on me too fast for me to enjoy one piece of machinery/one game, knowing there's something better than it. I spend my time thinking "I can't wait to play the next one" instead of "This one is pretty good". I see pictures and read articles of what's the next big thing, and so my mind wanders into a track of "I hope they improve this and this".

I sometimes feel that I now see the negative parts of the game/system instead of the parts that make the game system so interesting, simply because I know there's something better soon. I know it sounds pathetic, and i do enjoy the whole gaming experience, but I just feel sometimes all the hype about this sequel and that sequel so early in development can take away from the enjoyment of the present gaming experience.
Sat 17/08/02 at 18:04
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
I haven't touched MGS 2 since June. I have to admit I thought the game was ok but the FMV started to drive me nuts after a while. I completed twice, started a third time and never went back to it. I've noticed that Game is full of pre-owned copies of MGS2 so I guess that I'm not the only one who got bored with it.
Fri 16/08/02 at 18:39
"For the horde!!!!"
good post Cub, i see what ur getting at there r allways games in the pipe line that u may want to get and so the games u have collect dust. however it's allways worth having a quick bost on one of ur older games no and then. as anyone got bored of completing MGS2 yet?
Fri 16/08/02 at 18:35
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Carpe Diem should be my new motto I suppose. I can be a bit negative!
Fri 16/08/02 at 09:46
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
I hear what you are saying but I think Mandy has summed up it up nicely.

I think we get into this rut where we read so much about games that are in development that we start looking forward to what is coming rather than enjoying what we have already got.

Our expectation have changed as well. It used to be "wow an F1 game" - now it's " Oh another update / rehash of so and so's f1 game " It comes down to there being too much choice.

It's like when people walk into a coffee shop and there are 15 empty tables, where shall we sit - over here - no over there - but this table looks better. Which F1 game shall I get - this one - no this one lets me have my name on the side of the cockpit so I'll go for that one - oh but that one lets me change the gap in the spark plugs. Choices - choices.

Try and enjoy the games you've got - you'll be suprised at how much fun it can be sometimes going back to a game you put away six months ago unfinished - then realising that you might just be able to do it after all.

Live for today - tomorrow may never get here !
Fri 16/08/02 at 09:27
Regular
"  "
I often have this trouble too. Sometimes when playing a game I think, 'Oh, you cant do that, maybe in the sequel'. This is the case for games like Pro Evo were I was hoping for a create-a-team option. This was even the case for GTA3 were I was hoping to fly planes and ride Motorbikes. Sometimes, like you say, this makes me not want to play the game, but sometimes it's excusable. Good point anyway :)
Thu 15/08/02 at 23:09
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
Good psot but keep this is mind.
Live for today, not for tomorrow!
Thu 15/08/02 at 22:42
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Today when I flicked the power switch on my Playstation 2 and was greeted with the PS2 logo I was struck with a horrible feeling. I realised I was no longer enjoying playing games on my beloved system, it felt like more of a chore. I asked myself why I could possibly feel this way and the answer I received was "expectation". "Expectation?" I hear you ask. "What the hell do you mean?" What I mean is this....technology is progressing at an astonishing rate, which means our computer systems are constantly being swapped for something for something more powerful and fun.

In the early days of Playstation 2 there were already whispers of Playstation 3, and in recent weeks and months these whispers have been finding a stronger voice, raising many expectations of a more powerful machine being in the making. It's the same situation with the computer games themselves. We pick up our copy of let's say, Fifa 2002, and we know when playing this game that there is something "better" coming along in the next 12 months.

Granted not all sequels are an improvement on previous games in the series but nevertheless the hype surrounding the games pre-release lead us to believe they are. My point in all this is I feel that these days, advancements are creeping up on me too fast for me to enjoy one piece of machinery/one game, knowing there's something better than it. I spend my time thinking "I can't wait to play the next one" instead of "This one is pretty good". I see pictures and read articles of what's the next big thing, and so my mind wanders into a track of "I hope they improve this and this".

I sometimes feel that I now see the negative parts of the game/system instead of the parts that make the game system so interesting, simply because I know there's something better soon. I know it sounds pathetic, and i do enjoy the whole gaming experience, but I just feel sometimes all the hype about this sequel and that sequel so early in development can take away from the enjoyment of the present gaming experience.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.