GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Name is Turok!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/08/02 at 22:36
Regular
I'm not sure if anyone has already posted about this, but a promotion is currently being run by the makers of Turok:

Below is an extract I found on Yahoo news: (enjoy)

Volunteers line up to sell names
LONDON (Reuters) - A marketing ploy to turn humans into living adverts is proving a hit with thousands of people who have applied to change their name to a computer game character in exchange for 500 pounds.

Within 12 hours of an offer appearing on a Web site (www.mynameisturok.co.uk), more than 3,000 people had applied to change their names by deed poll to Turok, the hero of a cult dinosaur-hunter computer game, the company pioneering the scheme said on Wednesday.

"We've been truly amazed at the reaction we've had to the Turok project in such a short space of time," said Shaun White of Acclaim UK, which is the first company to try out so-called "identity marketing".

Just five volunteers will be chosen from the tens of thousands expected to apply by the September 2 deadline.

Each new "Turok" will be paid 500 pounds and given a Microsoft X-Box games console and Turok games in exchange for changing their name for a year.

"I thought it was a really cool idea. Five hundred quid is a hell of a lot of money," Andrew Nettles, a 21-year-old London business student, told Reuters.

"I never chose my name -- my parents gave it to me," said the student who will receive his degree certificate in the name of Turok if he is chosen.

The identity marketing concept was dreamt up by Simeon Cantrell of the Institute of Science in Marketing, which has patented the idea.

"There could be thousands of people called Pepsi, Brylcreem, Toyota and Yahoo happily going about their everyday lives whilst subtly communicating the virtues of their brand namesakes," Cantrell said.
Fri 16/08/02 at 02:58
Regular
End of the day, whats in a name.

My mates got about 5 different names for me anyways...
Fri 16/08/02 at 02:43
Regular
"That's right!"
Am I the only one who thinks Turok is a rather macho sounding name?

Anyway, of course I'd tell my friends, and they'd either A) be jealous because I got £500 etc, or B) think I'm an idiot... or both
Fri 16/08/02 at 01:48
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Dont you think that it wouldnt make that much difference-your mates aint exactly gonna call you Turok. And hardly anyone would know really unless they print a big picture of you on every shop corner
Thu 15/08/02 at 22:56
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
I wonder how it would work, changing your name would cause many problems legally. I suppose there would be some sort of contract (or whatever) so you don't actually change your name on your bank cards, address details etc.

Anyone remember that show the Dave Gorman collection? People legally chagned their name to Dave Gorman on that. I say it would be similar to how they did it. Plus would you tell your friends that your name was now Turok.

If I did it I wouldn't tell anyone and try to pretend nothing happened, I don't fancy the p*ss being taken out of me for having a camp name change.
Thu 15/08/02 at 22:49
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Saw it the other day, we already have a few Turok wannabes here too!

They won't go on with it though once they see the problems that it will cause!

Legally changing your name is a LOT of work!
Thu 15/08/02 at 22:36
Regular
"Mm reprocessed meat"
I'm not sure if anyone has already posted about this, but a promotion is currently being run by the makers of Turok:

Below is an extract I found on Yahoo news: (enjoy)

Volunteers line up to sell names
LONDON (Reuters) - A marketing ploy to turn humans into living adverts is proving a hit with thousands of people who have applied to change their name to a computer game character in exchange for 500 pounds.

Within 12 hours of an offer appearing on a Web site (www.mynameisturok.co.uk), more than 3,000 people had applied to change their names by deed poll to Turok, the hero of a cult dinosaur-hunter computer game, the company pioneering the scheme said on Wednesday.

"We've been truly amazed at the reaction we've had to the Turok project in such a short space of time," said Shaun White of Acclaim UK, which is the first company to try out so-called "identity marketing".

Just five volunteers will be chosen from the tens of thousands expected to apply by the September 2 deadline.

Each new "Turok" will be paid 500 pounds and given a Microsoft X-Box games console and Turok games in exchange for changing their name for a year.

"I thought it was a really cool idea. Five hundred quid is a hell of a lot of money," Andrew Nettles, a 21-year-old London business student, told Reuters.

"I never chose my name -- my parents gave it to me," said the student who will receive his degree certificate in the name of Turok if he is chosen.

The identity marketing concept was dreamt up by Simeon Cantrell of the Institute of Science in Marketing, which has patented the idea.

"There could be thousands of people called Pepsi, Brylcreem, Toyota and Yahoo happily going about their everyday lives whilst subtly communicating the virtues of their brand namesakes," Cantrell said.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.