GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"just out of interest..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/08/02 at 03:15
Regular
Why are so many of you dedicated to your console of choice so passionately?

I mean almost all the posts I read have some "yah boo Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft sucks monkeybutt" agenda.. Can't you like more than one console, or is that like claiming to be a Muslim and a Christian at once?

So maybe your pocket money won't stretch to buying three consoles, but that doesn't mean you have to defend your choice to the hilt and call other people idiots for choosing differently. It's sad really. All of this back-biting seems to be instigated by the console-makers themselves, or at least in each one's dedicated magazine. So really all you're doing by engaging in this behaviour is showing that you're easily influenced by the media. And that's a bad thing because you'll end up like the sheep (no offence to sheepy) who go to watch the national lottery draw live and then cheer when the balls drop out... I mean cheering balls with numbers on, it's hardly the pinnacle of evolution is it?

You might notice that the multi-format magazines (that's the ones that don't have "amusing" nicknames for the other consoles - ie Phoney Gaystation) are aimed at older gamers, because *shock horror* people who realise that computer games aren't about allegiances are more mature than your average gamer.

Think about a little. If someone says that they don't like a Gamecube because on the whole the games don't stimulate them, then you shouldn't go and insult them. It's just not their thing. They're not saying that god doesn't exist, to continue the religion metaphor, they're just saying it's not their thing. I think everyone would accept that Sony and Microsoft cater more for mature gamers than Nintendo who aim more for the children's market. I'm not saying that the Gamecube is solely for children, rather that many of the games are targetted at children and so it might not appeal to older gamers, for whom the X-box or ps2, or even a PC would be a better alternative.

Grow up a little. You're better than all this petty rivalry really. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft aren't religions, they provide entertainment and escapism in their consoles. If you do go in for all this gay cube/station/box thing then you'll probably regret it when you grow up a little.

Nintendo devotees can test themselves by reading the following excerpts from back issues of Nintendo 64 magazines (circa 1998):

In reference to a letter that had "slagged the N64":
"Don't insult our beloved N64, or I'll have the 'r' removed from your second name Robert Gray"

The following was written by a 30 year old man amazingly:
"I bought your third and forth issues and wet my pants reading them... why the hell do people continue to buy pl**stations? They should be locked up. They'e insane!"

The worrying thing is that they both probably do wet their pants on a regular basis. If that made you cring then you're probably safe from the zealotism, if not then I hate to say it but your a CLOSET HOMOSEXUALS. Yep that's right. You may have noticed that almost all the insults console devotees use incorporate the word "gay"; this is merely the externalising of your own inner insecurity over your sexuality - ie you're gay but you don't know it yet.

Just remember kids: console name-calling = gay + childish
Thu 15/08/02 at 03:15
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Why are so many of you dedicated to your console of choice so passionately?

I mean almost all the posts I read have some "yah boo Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft sucks monkeybutt" agenda.. Can't you like more than one console, or is that like claiming to be a Muslim and a Christian at once?

So maybe your pocket money won't stretch to buying three consoles, but that doesn't mean you have to defend your choice to the hilt and call other people idiots for choosing differently. It's sad really. All of this back-biting seems to be instigated by the console-makers themselves, or at least in each one's dedicated magazine. So really all you're doing by engaging in this behaviour is showing that you're easily influenced by the media. And that's a bad thing because you'll end up like the sheep (no offence to sheepy) who go to watch the national lottery draw live and then cheer when the balls drop out... I mean cheering balls with numbers on, it's hardly the pinnacle of evolution is it?

You might notice that the multi-format magazines (that's the ones that don't have "amusing" nicknames for the other consoles - ie Phoney Gaystation) are aimed at older gamers, because *shock horror* people who realise that computer games aren't about allegiances are more mature than your average gamer.

Think about a little. If someone says that they don't like a Gamecube because on the whole the games don't stimulate them, then you shouldn't go and insult them. It's just not their thing. They're not saying that god doesn't exist, to continue the religion metaphor, they're just saying it's not their thing. I think everyone would accept that Sony and Microsoft cater more for mature gamers than Nintendo who aim more for the children's market. I'm not saying that the Gamecube is solely for children, rather that many of the games are targetted at children and so it might not appeal to older gamers, for whom the X-box or ps2, or even a PC would be a better alternative.

Grow up a little. You're better than all this petty rivalry really. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft aren't religions, they provide entertainment and escapism in their consoles. If you do go in for all this gay cube/station/box thing then you'll probably regret it when you grow up a little.

Nintendo devotees can test themselves by reading the following excerpts from back issues of Nintendo 64 magazines (circa 1998):

In reference to a letter that had "slagged the N64":
"Don't insult our beloved N64, or I'll have the 'r' removed from your second name Robert Gray"

The following was written by a 30 year old man amazingly:
"I bought your third and forth issues and wet my pants reading them... why the hell do people continue to buy pl**stations? They should be locked up. They'e insane!"

The worrying thing is that they both probably do wet their pants on a regular basis. If that made you cring then you're probably safe from the zealotism, if not then I hate to say it but your a CLOSET HOMOSEXUALS. Yep that's right. You may have noticed that almost all the insults console devotees use incorporate the word "gay"; this is merely the externalising of your own inner insecurity over your sexuality - ie you're gay but you don't know it yet.

Just remember kids: console name-calling = gay + childish
Thu 15/08/02 at 08:32
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Imagine the senario....

you have saved up all your posket money (spare money from your wages) for months and the big moment comes when you can finally afford the console you have been wanting for ages. You bring it home with the games you have bought, you love the games but you finish them all eventually and you need some more...

So you go to the games shop down the road only to be told "sorry mate, that console isn't being made any more so we have stopped stocking the games.

You might think that this will never happen to 'your' console but it could! remeber the Saturn?

No body wants that to happen to their beloved machine, and therefore people badly want all other consoles to fail so that the one they own will definitly go on. I think that this is where console fan boyism comes from

Beats me why think that slagging them off in chat forums is gonna make any difference though. Maybe because they don't know anything about any of the other consoles they thnik they will stick up for what they do know about.

Of course in a perfect world most people would want to own every console on the market. I know that I would.

Ros
Thu 15/08/02 at 11:15
Regular
Mr. Happy wrote:
> Why are so many of you dedicated to your console of choice so
> passionately?
Its not people dedicated to their console, its people who hate others calling it names or retardedly being biased against it

> I mean almost all the posts I read have some "yah boo
> Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft sucks monkeybutt" agenda.. Can't you like
> more than one console, or is that like claiming to be a Muslim and a
> Christian at once?

I don't really like the Gamecube as the games are'nt that intresting to me, but its a great console. Xbox is my fave, just hating these regular nint console wars topics.

> Think about a little. If someone says that they don't like a Gamecube
> because on the whole the games don't stimulate them, then you
> shouldn't go and insult them.

Exactly.

> Just remember kids: console name-calling = gay + childish

True.
Thu 15/08/02 at 11:15
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Mr. Happy u suk. Gaypube iz 4 spazzy ppl an u cant do nuffin abow dat.

;-)

Nah, I see what you mean, it's all like a religion or something. Why can't we all just be on the same side?

COME ON NINTENDO!

Ahem. Sorry.

:-D
Thu 15/08/02 at 11:18
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Oh come on, its just a bit of harmless fun.
Thu 15/08/02 at 11:21
Regular
Happy chap, if you wouldn't mind checking your e-mail, I'd be much obliged.
Thu 15/08/02 at 11:27
Regular
I used to be Ninty through and through and used to argue all day against the Sony scum at school.

Then i grew up.

Its still good fun though.
Thu 15/08/02 at 11:34
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Stryke wrote:
> Happy chap, if you wouldn't mind checking your e-mail, I'd be much
> obliged.

My e-mail sucks.
I'm considering using a non-BT address.
But I don't know if it's Outlook that's baggering things up. Basically if I check on Outlook it frequently tells me I have no new mail, and then when I check via webmail I find I have about 10 e-mails, as I just have discovered. It's very annoying.

But I shall reply now, fear not :-)
Thu 15/08/02 at 11:36
Regular
Cool. And don't you get your results today too? Because I seem to remember you had a place at Cambridge on the line. How'd that go?
Thu 15/08/02 at 14:34
Regular
"Wasting away"
Macs rule

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.