GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The freeloader, cheapest prices and more..."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/08/02 at 13:14
Regular
Are you getting the American version of Mario Sunshine, or the Japanese?

What is the Freeloader? Is it a disc?

I know it lets our UK 'Cubes play JAP and AMERICAN games, but how?

:)
Wed 14/08/02 at 13:14
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Are you getting the American version of Mario Sunshine, or the Japanese?

What is the Freeloader? Is it a disc?

I know it lets our UK 'Cubes play JAP and AMERICAN games, but how?

:)
Wed 14/08/02 at 13:16
Regular
"-_-"
read mt other topic it's called
how the freeloader works...
Wed 14/08/02 at 13:17
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
LOL, ok.

:D
Wed 14/08/02 at 13:24
Regular
"Got any carrots?"
I was wondering, I have a TV that can play 60hrtz games. The TV is quite old, but does this mean it is compatible to play import games with the freeloader.(knowing it can play 60hrtz)

Also I found www.play.com to be the best place to buy the freeloader. I previously ordered one from goblindirect but the total price including shipping was around £19. However at www.play.com they are selling it for £16.99 with free shipping. Or if you want to get the action replay instead (which allows import games to play and has cheats) You`ll only have to pay £1 extra. This being n absolute bargain considering its suggested retail price is £29.99!!!
Wed 14/08/02 at 13:25
Regular
"Got any carrots?"
I was wondering, I have a TV that can play 60hrtz games. The TV is quite old, but does this mean it is compatible to play import games with the freeloader.(knowing it can play 60hrtz)

Also I found www.play.com to be the best place to buy the freeloader. I previously ordered one from goblindirect but the total price including shipping was around £19. However at www.play.com they are selling it for £16.99 with free shipping. Or if you want to get the action replay instead (which allows import games to play and has cheats) You`ll only have to pay £1 extra. This being an absolute bargain considering the suggested retail price is £29.99!!!
Wed 14/08/02 at 13:29
Regular
"-_-"
no I don't think it is
check your TV manual!
Mine plays 60 though
Wed 14/08/02 at 15:41
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
If your Tv plays games in 60hz mode in full colour then your TV IS NTSC compatible.
Wed 14/08/02 at 17:00
Regular
Are you sure about that?
As i understood it the two weren't necessarily connected...
Wed 14/08/02 at 18:23
Regular
"keep your receipt"
The Htz a television has and whether its PAL or NTSC are not connected in any way. Normally Sonicrav is the exper on this stuff but he's not around so here comes the big explanation...brace yourselves.

The number of Hertz a television has details how fast the screen refreshes itself. Now traditionally the PAL standard is 50Hz. The NTSC standard is 60Hz, so I can see where you got confused there. Now the new standard moving in is 100Hz, which basically means less strain on your eyes as the picture is more constant and there's also less flicker as the screen refreshes itself more, and faster, so it's less noticeable. Of course after that is Progressive Scan mode, a feature just merging into the markets of Japan and the USA. This is where the picture does not refresh at all, it's constantly changing as the picture changes. However its unwise to play videogames on PGA as videogames have alot of static features (the health, ammo, coins on the side of the screen etc) that can burn onto the screen. Although at this time most games are including a PGA option in their games. We get a 60Hz mode over here.

Now PAL and NTSC are the resolutions that the picture is displayed in. Basically PAL screens have more lines of 'bulbs' than NTSC ones, so generally speaking PAl TVs are capable of producing a superior picture. It's also a reason why sometimes on sloppy conversion we get borders around out games. NTSC is 640x480 and PAL is 860x680 (I think).

Despite of all that techo-guff there's more to come, unfortunately, so thinking caps on please...
In the case of PAL TVs with NTSC compatibility there are two different NTSC formats. The first is NTSC 4.36, which is an NTSC picture with borders, a crappy picture and running in 50Hz. NTSC 3.58 on the other hand is 'pure' NTSC and will display the NTSC signal perfectly.

Unfortunately with importing and all that guff there's A LOT of imformation to consider and in the case of FreeLoader where we don't know all the facts there's a big risk of importing now. I would advise anyone to wait until FreeLoader is released and someone has a good test with it so we know exactly what will work and how. I'm going to wait a month or so and wait for some good games next year.

Sorry to bore you with all that crap but there was alot of gubbins to get sorted, and hopefully you're all wiser people after reading that (note: overheated brain :P)

-Mess out.
Wed 14/08/02 at 20:52
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
he's right you know :)

my american gamecube only displays a black and white picture on my TV that is capable of doing 60hz which i did on my dreamcast. So i have to use my sisters TV to play it in colour ... only until xmas though :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.