GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Quinty's detailed team by team guide for 02/03"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/08/02 at 20:10
Regular
Here is my team by team guide for the next season:

Arsenal: Despite only spending 6.6m over the summer period I can only see a three horserace between with united and Liverpool. Silva adds some much needed spice and Wenger’s men certainly have the belief and depth to deliver back to back title successes. Expect a confident cup run as well.

Aston Villa: The appointment of Graham Taylor was a step in the wrong direction for my team. And with Allback being the only notable addition to the squad it looks as though we Villains are in for a long long season. But if Angel and Allback get on top form we can expect a top 8 finish.

Birmingham: The newly promoted Blues are hardly bulging at the edges with big name stars, but a couple of useful summer signings by manager Steve Bruce (notably Clinton Morrison) will boost their chances of survival. Anything other than a relegation scrap will be a great achievement.

Blackburn: With Dwight Yorke reunited with his old Manchester United colleague Andy Cole, Blackburn could be on to a winning partnership. However as last season showed they lacked consistency. When they click they’re great…when they don’t they’re awful. A top ten place is up for grabs, and a decent cup run beckons.

Bolton: After a close fight for survival last season Sam Allardyce has brought some real bargains. Namely the flamboyant Jay-Jay Okocha and playmaker Youri Djorkaeff. He now has a complete squad, and a relegation dogfight looks less likely this season.

Charlton: After badly slumping towards the end of last season Alan Curbishly will make sure a repeat of last season isn’t an option. The shrewd signing of Gary Rowett should provide some much needed runs down the wing. Another season of mid-table security is the order of the day here.

Chelsea: After a heap of criticism was placed on manager Ranieri, it finally appears he’s shunted his under performing team into action. A challenge for a champions league spot is by no means impossible, but with no major signings a championship challenge will elude the blues once again this coming season. A good cup run is not out of the question either.

Everton: The arrival of Joseph Yobo from Marseille could provide the class which Moyes boys need to creep into the top ten this year. The signing of Richard Wright is another positive sign and should finally give Everton a stable and consistent goalkeeper they have longed for. A respectable bottom half finish looks the likeliest outcome this coming season.

Fulham: Surprisingly, Tiganas side lacked the punch up front; this said they did finish a respectable 13th place on their premiership debut last season. Fulham can go two ways this season. If Saha and co produce the goods this season then expect Fulham to be hot on the heels of the chasing pack- If not then another poor season is likely to occur.

Leeds United: After the palaver of the Bowyer and Woodgate trial, and the Rio Ferdinand saga, the Leeds faithful will be hopeful that El Tel can bring some much needed stability to the club, and win some silverware. Nick Barmby and Paul Okon are useful midfield scoops, and expect more signings with the 30 million pounds Rio Ferdinand went for. A champion’s league spot is definitely there for the taking and even possibly the championship.

Liverpool: With the arrival of El Hadji Diouf and Slaif Diao, Houllier now has the depth to bring the long awaited premiership title back to Anfield. If Owen and Gerrard stay fit for the bulk of the season then expect Liverpool to be right up their at the top, at least challenging for a champions league spot, but most likely the title itself.

Manchester City: With the signing of Nicolas Anelka for a whopping 13 million, Keegan has mapped out his intentions for the coming season. With his famous attacking style and unrivalled enthusiasm the blue side of Manchester could well be in for an exciting season. Distin has been brought in to tighten up the back and expect to see City in the top ten or even higher this season.

Manchester United: The signing of Rio Ferdinand will give United the stability at the back which they so desperately needed last season. If he can tighten up the defence, and Ruud do the business up front as he did last season then I can only see the title being brought back to Old Trafford. A trip to Cardiff is also likely this season.

Middlesbrough: After summer recruitment drive Middlesbrough are looking likely to be the surprise package this season. Maccorone, Juninho, Boateng, Quedrue and Geremi are all top class signings. This taken into account, things are looking up for the Riverside club. Possibly the best delve into the transfer market by any premiership side during the summer. A good cup run and a top eight finish are likely.

Newcastle: 2 solid signings of Hugo Viana and Titus Bramble have given Newcastle hope that another top four finish could be possible. With Shearer as fit as ever and Kieron Dyer avoiding another injury prone season, expect the Geordies to make at least a top five finish. And a decent champion’s league run is possible, as is another good cup run.

Southampton: When Strachan was drafted in mid season, he turned yet another seemingly bleak season into a comfortable last month or so. Hoping to carry on where he left off this season Strachan has abandoned the option of invading the transfer market and instead, opted to stick with his bunch of players which he believes can challenge the top eight. I don’t agree. 15th to 18th looks the most likely finish this season.

Sunderland: After a disastrous previous season, manager Peter Reid, under an increasing amount of pressure from Sunderland’s passionate army of supporters, will try to rekindle the marvellous back to back top eight finishes. The signing of Stephen Wright is an absolute bargain, and a respectable finish this season looks to be the most likely outcome.

Tottenham: Another mediocre previous season will be one thing Hoddle will strive to avoid this time around. If the summer signings of Qu Bo, Redknapp and Acimovic click then perhaps a top eight finish beckons. If they don’t, then a rough ride is in store for the passionate north Londoners.

West Bromwich Albion: Perhaps the least favoured side to avoid this year’s drop, Megsons side will relish the tag of being the underdogs. However with only Ronnie Wallwork drafted in to tighten up some loose ends, anything other than an instant return to the dark depths of Division 1 would be a big achievement.

West Ham: With a summer clearout and lack of major signings, a repeat of last season’s seventh place looks less likely. A season of mid-table mediocrity beckons for the Hammers.
Wed 14/08/02 at 18:56
Regular
Merci Beaucoup for the replies children.
Wed 14/08/02 at 11:04
Good post quinty.
Wed 14/08/02 at 09:45
Regular
that should clearly have said "Old Guard"
Wed 14/08/02 at 09:44
Regular
i think its a two horse race between. Man utd and Arsenal. Arsenal now have a complete midfield and have sured up a defence which has been dodgy since the "olg guard" broke up two years ago. Man utd have class in the team but they need john O'shea or possibly wes brown to boot blanc out of the team as quickly as possible and need more strikers as they are thoroughly screwed if van nistelrooy gets injured.
Wed 14/08/02 at 03:43
Regular
Shocktrooper wrote:
Look at Gilberto Silva, for
> example. £4.5m from Athletico Mineiro. He played EVERY minute in
> the World Cup for Brazil, and he cost £4.5m? Bargain.
> He'll be better than most midfielders, at half the price. Is that
> tactical spending or what?
> And look at Pascal Cygan from Lille.
> Wenger paud about £2m, right? Ok, so I haven't seen him play as
> yet, but I'm sure Wenger's Bargaining abilities won't let up.

Aye, fair play to Wenger there. Top stuff.

but what about the 10 million he spent on Jeffers :) Surely he doesnt need him after winning the Fa Cup last year :)
Wed 14/08/02 at 00:39
Regular
".......on the attac"
All I can say is come on Aston Villa, Birmingham, Blackburn, Bolton, Charlton, Chelsea, Everton, Fulham, Leeds, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Middlesborough, Newcastle, Southampton, Sunderland, Tottenham, West Brom and West Ham!

Please, all of you pull together to make sure that Arsenal win absolutely nothing this season!

How a team can play in the Premiership with barely any English players is beyond me and takes the p*ss. From my reckoning, this season they will have no more than three players on the field who are English (a combination of Keown, Parlour, Campbell, Seaman and Cole) at any one time. That really is rather pathetic.

Oh, and before you start, I am Preston through and through! (not just the last 6 years, like some we could mention.....)

I'd prefer to see a team like Liverpool win the league.
Wed 14/08/02 at 00:02
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Nice post, Quinty.

I think Arsene Wenger is a mastermind.
He doesn't spend too much, and keeps his money saved. But the reason being because he can spot bargains. Look at Gilberto Silva, for example. £4.5m from Athletico Mineiro. He played EVERY minute in the World Cup for Brazil, and he cost £4.5m? Bargain.
He'll be better than most midfielders, at half the price. Is that tactical spending or what?
And look at Pascal Cygan from Lille.
Wenger paud about £2m, right? Ok, so I haven't seen him play as yet, but I'm sure Wenger's Bargaining abilities won't let up. I look forward to seeing Vieira team up with Silva and seeing Cygan in action.
Wouldn't a dream come true be when it turns out that Cygan is better than Ferdinand, but cost 1/15 of the price? Ahh, the bliss.

Wenger rules. Arsenal rule.
Henry, Vieira and Silva rule.
So do all the others.
Their new shirt rules.

I think you know now who I support. :-)
I have supported them for a good 6 years now.
Tue 13/08/02 at 22:15
Regular
Oi! No Hexagone related discussion in my topic *Shakes fist*

Yeah forgot about that Rooney guy, looks like a hot prospect for the future. Anyway, cheers for the replies guys.
Tue 13/08/02 at 21:34
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
DAS IST GUT. Although you missed out the fact that Wayne Rooney will be playing for Everton this season.
Tue 13/08/02 at 20:31
Regular
ZE IST BRILLIANT. I'm in the J Savo mood now...so get this...HeXXXellent!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.