GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games V Music"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/08/02 at 15:02
Regular
The ying-yang of your typical teenage boy (or girl if you want) and also as far reaching as 20/30 and even 40-something year olds.

For the taste can be different for both sides. In the Gaming corner you have people who like 'brightly coloured cartoons' aka Nintendo and the Sony monkies 'keeping it real'. In the Music corner you have smelly goths in Slipknot hoodies who 'like hate everything' and Adidas ridden 'club boppers' drunk on half a bottle of Miller.

Everyone however comes under the agreement that games and music:

rock/cool/rule/wicked/mental/cool/rock/rule/wicked man

So what rocks (as above) the most out of these entertainment giants?

ENTERTAINMENT VALUE

So which creates the more fun factor etc? In my opinion GAMES wins this.

You can play for hours... rule the world, shoot stuff, drive cars fast, explore new worlds etc. With music a gig or playing in a band can generate this but they are not as frequent and usually you just listen to CD in you're room.

COST

Which is better value for money? In my opinion MUSIC wins this.

For starters to play music you need to buy a CD Player. This could be expensive or cheap. Either way it does the job and can do the job well for a number of years and apart from updates from LP-CD-MD you don't need to update it like a games consoles just to play the latest music.

Also an average album is about £10... in this you get 12 songs which can inspire you etc and that you can play over and over again without getting bored... also it will never go out of date... well in the eye of the beholder. Meanwhile Games consoles cost a pretty bob and need replacing and updated... while a game costs £30-£40 and will be out of date etc.

MULTIPLAYER

What's best playing with your mates? In my opinion it's a DRAW

For Games you can invite your mates over and blow each other up and such acts. Creating great fun and much taunting at how you fight like a girl. A perfect night with booze and junk food.

For Music you can play in a band and enjoy the rock and roll life with your best friends and have a great time with a chance of being famous.
Once again a perfect night with booze and junk food.

HYPE

What's better? New CD by favourite band or new fantastic game? In my opinion MUSIC wins.

Having a favourite band is great, you buy all their CD's, read interviews, be inspired by them and when something by them appears there is nothing more exciting, especially if it's their best stuff... or even when they announce tour you wake up at 7 and have 12 phones going trying to buy tickets.

With Games it's alright I suppose. "Oh a new game, I might get it" says average Joe Gamer whilst he throws the game he bought last week in with the pile. The hype of a new console release is quite big but is rare and overall boring.

COPY-CAT

Making your very own games or music. In my opinion MUSIC wins

This one is a walk-over for music. You can go out to shops and buy a guitar/bass/drums/keyboard/saxophone etc and learn it, replicate your favourite songs and then write your own. All of which is fun and a chance to be famous and play gigs is lurking in the future. With Games it's hard to replicate your own games or to get a job as game developer. It is also boring and expensive and less chance of beign famous etc.

DISCUSSION IN PUB

What's better to agree/argue about? In my opinion MUSIC wins.

With music it's easier to talk about music/lyrics/band members etc than the latest game for the PS2. It is also more thrilling to talk about great guitar riffs than the handling of the X-Box controller and is also more cooler and such. Easier topic to discuss with opposite sex and has also more chance of getting you laid.

ON YOUR OWN

What's the best companion when you're alone? In my opinion MUSIC wins.

Just sit back, relax and put your favourite music on. Let your mind free and have time to think about yourslef and life or jump about the room playing air guitar. With games you could go and blow up people etc but can get boring and such.

And finally:

INFLUENCE

What's going to change you? In my opinion MUSIC wins.

Once again lyrics can stir your emotions... feel like it's written for you... a band's morals could change the way you live or how you create your own music. With games what can you get? Oh I want to go and kill people now because that game character did? Doubt it.

Final Score

MUSIC 7 v 2 GAMES

Of course this post is biast and probably favours Music but hey it's my opinion :)

Thanks for reading
Tue 13/08/02 at 15:02
Regular
"Excommunicated"
The ying-yang of your typical teenage boy (or girl if you want) and also as far reaching as 20/30 and even 40-something year olds.

For the taste can be different for both sides. In the Gaming corner you have people who like 'brightly coloured cartoons' aka Nintendo and the Sony monkies 'keeping it real'. In the Music corner you have smelly goths in Slipknot hoodies who 'like hate everything' and Adidas ridden 'club boppers' drunk on half a bottle of Miller.

Everyone however comes under the agreement that games and music:

rock/cool/rule/wicked/mental/cool/rock/rule/wicked man

So what rocks (as above) the most out of these entertainment giants?

ENTERTAINMENT VALUE

So which creates the more fun factor etc? In my opinion GAMES wins this.

You can play for hours... rule the world, shoot stuff, drive cars fast, explore new worlds etc. With music a gig or playing in a band can generate this but they are not as frequent and usually you just listen to CD in you're room.

COST

Which is better value for money? In my opinion MUSIC wins this.

For starters to play music you need to buy a CD Player. This could be expensive or cheap. Either way it does the job and can do the job well for a number of years and apart from updates from LP-CD-MD you don't need to update it like a games consoles just to play the latest music.

Also an average album is about £10... in this you get 12 songs which can inspire you etc and that you can play over and over again without getting bored... also it will never go out of date... well in the eye of the beholder. Meanwhile Games consoles cost a pretty bob and need replacing and updated... while a game costs £30-£40 and will be out of date etc.

MULTIPLAYER

What's best playing with your mates? In my opinion it's a DRAW

For Games you can invite your mates over and blow each other up and such acts. Creating great fun and much taunting at how you fight like a girl. A perfect night with booze and junk food.

For Music you can play in a band and enjoy the rock and roll life with your best friends and have a great time with a chance of being famous.
Once again a perfect night with booze and junk food.

HYPE

What's better? New CD by favourite band or new fantastic game? In my opinion MUSIC wins.

Having a favourite band is great, you buy all their CD's, read interviews, be inspired by them and when something by them appears there is nothing more exciting, especially if it's their best stuff... or even when they announce tour you wake up at 7 and have 12 phones going trying to buy tickets.

With Games it's alright I suppose. "Oh a new game, I might get it" says average Joe Gamer whilst he throws the game he bought last week in with the pile. The hype of a new console release is quite big but is rare and overall boring.

COPY-CAT

Making your very own games or music. In my opinion MUSIC wins

This one is a walk-over for music. You can go out to shops and buy a guitar/bass/drums/keyboard/saxophone etc and learn it, replicate your favourite songs and then write your own. All of which is fun and a chance to be famous and play gigs is lurking in the future. With Games it's hard to replicate your own games or to get a job as game developer. It is also boring and expensive and less chance of beign famous etc.

DISCUSSION IN PUB

What's better to agree/argue about? In my opinion MUSIC wins.

With music it's easier to talk about music/lyrics/band members etc than the latest game for the PS2. It is also more thrilling to talk about great guitar riffs than the handling of the X-Box controller and is also more cooler and such. Easier topic to discuss with opposite sex and has also more chance of getting you laid.

ON YOUR OWN

What's the best companion when you're alone? In my opinion MUSIC wins.

Just sit back, relax and put your favourite music on. Let your mind free and have time to think about yourslef and life or jump about the room playing air guitar. With games you could go and blow up people etc but can get boring and such.

And finally:

INFLUENCE

What's going to change you? In my opinion MUSIC wins.

Once again lyrics can stir your emotions... feel like it's written for you... a band's morals could change the way you live or how you create your own music. With games what can you get? Oh I want to go and kill people now because that game character did? Doubt it.

Final Score

MUSIC 7 v 2 GAMES

Of course this post is biast and probably favours Music but hey it's my opinion :)

Thanks for reading
Tue 13/08/02 at 18:18
Regular
A serious SHEEPY post, yes! Biased it may have been, but some valid points nonetheless. I would have given GAMES a few more categories, such as playing on your own (no sniggering at the back), but I think there's another possible category - Replay Value?

What do you think, what has the best replay value, games or music? I'd plump for games.
Tue 13/08/02 at 20:37
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Replay value...?

I'd say that'd have to seriously depend on the album and game. Some games are ridiculously boring to play through twice. Others are just as amazing as the first time. Same with music. Although if you really love a CD you're unlikely to ever get bored of it.

Anyway, I have wondered about this quite a lot since these two sources of entertainment often compete for my cash. In my opinion it'd be hard for me to live without either. Both are huge influences in my life, and I love 'em both. Don't think I could live without either.
Tue 13/08/02 at 20:40
Regular
"$hit happens"
Combine the two for the ultimate result, but unfortunatley, not everyone like the same style of music, but still, put the two together and you get ultimate replyability!
Tue 13/08/02 at 20:43
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I'll try and think some more for Games.

Nah instead I thought of other for Music... MAGAZINES.. NME, Q, MOJO etc... :)

Of course it was set out biast and was biast... I gave 2 points to games including the first one :D
Tue 13/08/02 at 22:38
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
A serious post from SHEEPY?
OMG
:D

I'd say...they both rule.
I like famous classical music (Shut it), like the ones on the BBC prom night thing.
And other music, but I'm not that intellectual when it comes to music.
Wed 14/08/02 at 23:36
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
i think nothing is better than having a song you really love playing in the background while your playing your favourite game. One of my fave example is having Sabotage by the Beastie Boys playing while i'm wreaking havoc on GTA3 crashing through boxes and stuff trying to escape the po-po
Thu 15/08/02 at 13:18
Regular
"keep your receipt"
Mmmm, your stereotypical music-people were funny until you got to goths. Never mind. Congrats on the GAD!

I'd have to say music has a lot more diversity to it than videogames. At the moment in these forums you've either got the Nintys, the PS2-crew (rofl) or Xbox fanboys, or heaven forbid, the sensible unbiased people in between. That's four categories.
Looking at music, there are so many different styles and genres that its unlikely you're ever going to completely clash with another person on your tastes. And if you do, it makes the conversation all the more interesting because you can listen to each others conflicting ideas and hopefully agree on a compromise - something that doesn't happen that often on SR forums unfortunately.
And because of music's diversity there's always something new and original going on. Sure, you might not find it in the Pepsi chart (repetitive teeny-bopping madness) but if you look elsewhere there's always fresh and original styles going on. Something that isn't really happening in the games industry right now.

So could videogames take some advice from the music industry and use it to improve. In some ways they ARE similar: as the Pepsi chart is flooded with poppy-poopoo idiots like Darius and S-Club Juniors, the console markets are inundated with repetitive shooters and (eurgh) Mario-clones. However the music industry is changing by mixing styles and hitting a compromise between two genres, like rock and rap (run DMC, recent tracks by So Solid) or Pink with her 'Just Like a Pill.'
But as well as mixing genres, in the music industry (pop mainly) bands and singers tend to change their styles as they develop. As with both the music and videogame industries consumers are getting bored with the same stuff over and over and so to keep themselves fresh bands like A1 are slowly incorporating more and more rock into their music.

So should the videogames industry merge genres to create something new and exciting? Deus Ex did it well enough. Or should a game mix styles as it goes through. As we've seen with games like Crash Bandicoot, games that include many genres often feel too 'bitty' and lack progression. But if thats the way the games industry can progress then why not. If anyone was watching T4 this morning, they would have seen Shaun from SlipKnot say, "Whatever you're doing there's always a style of music to get you through." If only that was the same with games?
Thu 15/08/02 at 13:24
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I try

I win

*dances*
Thu 15/08/02 at 14:06
Regular
0-MessiaH-0 wrote:

> the Nintys, the PS2-crew (rofl) or Xbox fanboys

Got it kinda wrong there

Its

Sonyphiles
Nintys
Xbox-huggers (like me)
:p

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.