GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Peaks and Troughs"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/05/08 at 16:14
"possibly impossible"
I'm in a funny mood at the moment. On the one hand I haven't got enough money to even pay off the credit cards, both the ones with 0% and the standard one I use to pay for every-day things. There's no way I can afford my TV and before that I've got to find some money to do up the house. It also means we can't visit Gina's family this year.

But aside from finance and the usual spectre of our crappy damp house, I don't feel too bad generally. I'm up to London on business in a few weeks and work is going ok while still letting me spend enough time at home with the kids.

It's an odd thing, I can quite easily get depressed about where my financial situation is going and I'm frantically trying to sort it out (second job, perhaps?) and it should be really annoying me, but I think I'm in a place where I just blank it out for most of the time, even though it really does need sorting out as soon as possible.
Fri 30/05/08 at 09:10
"possibly impossible"
I knew someone would mention that!

I did actually sell a load of the retro stuff I had. Only have an old hacked Xbox from the last gen now, difficult to sell and still pretty useful to have as a MAME machine though.

But, yeah, my game collection has been slimmed down thanks to ebay and Blockbuster.
Thu 29/05/08 at 23:49
Regular
Don't you have a lot of videogames and stuff? Perhaps you could consider selling some of it.
Thu 29/05/08 at 19:06
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Everpain wrote:
> Money can't buy you happiness. That's what they say. What they
> mean is that money itself will not make you happy, it is however
> an enabler of happiness (though not necessarily the only one).
>
> Lack of money however, can be a disabling factor in happiness as
> much as having it can enable happiness. My point being, it's all
> well and good saying don't worry about money, you have a nice
> family, but when Barclays come round and take your furniture and
> TV in collection of unpaid credit card bills, your happiness
> levels will take a noticable nosedive.

First and foremost, credit card bills are the lowest priority on any repayment schedule. Priorittes are mortgage, council tax and utility bills. These must be paid. The others can quite literally take what they are given!!!

The point I was making was this: My previous employment and main input of finance died - I became ill and then ill-health retirement. Salary net income went from £1500 per month to just over £400. The life style was geared to the greater income. Overnight it disappeared and bills needed to be paid but the organisations concernded didn't appreciate the predicament.

This happened 11 years ago. The first 5 years were lean, but we survived - myself, my wife and two boys then aged 12 and 10. Those days weren't as dark as you paint - we lived, we cut corners, but the children still had what was needed, bills got paid, arrangements were made but what you don't take into account is the fact that life became precious not money orientated - we are 'top of the world now' because of that unfortunate experience, and salary income has only just begun to match what is was 11 years ago!

Try it, it's good for the soul:D
Thu 29/05/08 at 17:30
Regular
Thu 29/05/08 at 10:50
"possibly impossible"
Unfortunately, Credit Cards tend to be the easiest and sometimes only way to pay for stuff. I can't see my carrying £100 in notes in to Tesco each week or £50 to the petrol station. And, yes, I have a debit card, but I need to buy things before my salary comes in each month anyway, plus I get points back.

The 0% Credit cards stretch back to needing to get my car and pay for things in the house that needed to be done, cheaper than a loan. I just need to work out a strategy for paying them back.

Anyway, while clearing up the lounge yesterday I found a cheque from my gran that, for some reason, didn't get cashed. That will help a bit paying of the general card.
Thu 29/05/08 at 01:46
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Get rid of the credit cards, that includes the 0% ones. Aside from the interest issue, they make it far too easy to spend money.
I wouldnt be too concerned about debts as long as you're heading in the right direction and actually paying them off instead of letting them pile up.
Wed 28/05/08 at 23:27
Regular
"Author of Pain"
Money can't buy you happiness. That's what they say. What they mean is that money itself will not make you happy, it is however an enabler of happiness (though not necessarily the only one).

Lack of money however, can be a disabling factor in happiness as much as having it can enable happiness. My point being, it's all well and good saying don't worry about money, you have a nice family, but when Barclays come round and take your furniture and TV in collection of unpaid credit card bills, your happiness levels will take a noticable nosedive.
Wed 28/05/08 at 22:05
Regular
"eat toast!"
I have exactly the same feeling. Although its exams. I seem have random feeling's of nervousness, depression or fustration over them and the future. But minuates later i find myself grining to myself for no reason content that i've got everything in the bag despite in the back of my mind the current worries still persist.
Wed 28/05/08 at 18:36
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Whatever you do, don't get depressed about money - the lack of it or where the next bill is coming from. You have got some wonderful kids (seen your pic) and you obviously adore them and family life from what you post.

Your life with them has got to be number one and worrying enough to consider a second job can only prevent you from continuing as you are - enjoying their life.
Wed 28/05/08 at 16:14
"possibly impossible"
I'm in a funny mood at the moment. On the one hand I haven't got enough money to even pay off the credit cards, both the ones with 0% and the standard one I use to pay for every-day things. There's no way I can afford my TV and before that I've got to find some money to do up the house. It also means we can't visit Gina's family this year.

But aside from finance and the usual spectre of our crappy damp house, I don't feel too bad generally. I'm up to London on business in a few weeks and work is going ok while still letting me spend enough time at home with the kids.

It's an odd thing, I can quite easily get depressed about where my financial situation is going and I'm frantically trying to sort it out (second job, perhaps?) and it should be really annoying me, but I think I'm in a place where I just blank it out for most of the time, even though it really does need sorting out as soon as possible.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.