GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BLATANT ATTEMPED TO WIN GAMEADAY 2: 3D platformers seem to have lost the plot!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/11/00 at 13:31
Regular
If anyones played Mario 64 or DK64 you'll find that platfrom gaming has changed since the days of Snes.
Firstly, the characters now have a variety of fighting moves. Punching? Kicking? Shooting with guns? What happened to the classic "jumping on heads" technique. Yes you can jump on heads still but it's much easier to use a silly punch. Marios new jumping skills are great but there's no need for this punching and kicking.

DK64 ruined this further by adding guns. What happened to his barrel throwing (which was in the boss stages of DK64 but still...) and Mario, what happened to his "shell kicking" (remember on the nes and Snes).

Lastly, they've changed from platform games to adventure games. Instead of jumping on platforms you now simply search 3D levels for bananas and coins with a small bit of platfroming but no as much as there should have been.

Note for Nintendo- When the Gamecube comes, please bring back classic platforming.
Thu 29/05/08 at 13:31
Regular
You're the Homer Simpson of the hair world.
Wed 28/05/08 at 08:22
Regular
at the moment it's 'little' hair thanks :D. cant wait to see who i am based on
Tue 27/05/08 at 13:34
Regular
Spectacular topic choice! I identify most with The 180Degree Man, but only because he is actually based on me!

When I was thinking of broadening the racial aspect of the group, 180 was the guy to make black. He's my favourite. That's why he's skinny, wears glasses, and has quite a big nose and big ears. He is me, haha. Outstanding. Love the kid.

But yeah Kris, you're the opposite of BigStrong. You're ugly, weak, and have no hair! Haha. Just kidding.

Well, the no hair part is right! XD
Mon 26/05/08 at 22:46
Regular
i feel there is a bit of all of them in me :) but my fav is BS he is strong and good looking like myself and has awsome hair also like me....Ad'z will know all of the above is complete lies
Mon 26/05/08 at 20:49
Regular
I have to say

I understand where Towelette is coming from
a) My bath room is soooooooo full of bath stuff there is barely room to pee
b) However I don’t like taking a bath – why would anyone want to lie to dirty water:- yes it is dirty coz if it wasn’t why are you in the bath.
c) And I see shoe sale signs everywhere – but I got pills for it, I am getting better they don’t talk to me anymore.
Sun 29/04/01 at 22:03
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Dan_uk wrote:
> I wouldn't say that Crash was better than Mario but I prefer crash's
> "jump on the head" and "get from A-B with lots of
> secret passages to get to"

lol... sorry man, I didnt mean to start an Anti-Crash subject :@)

Sun 29/04/01 at 21:47
Regular
I wouldn't say that Crash was better than Mario but I prefer crash's "jump on the head" and "get from A-B with lots of secret passages to get to"

For anyone who hasn't played Donkey Kong Country on the Snes, download it off the internet somewhere.

Sun 29/04/01 at 21:42
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Armatige Shanks wrote:
>I was always under the impression that the original
> Crash Banticoot wasnt a freespace platformer like Mario?

You'd be right about that. Crash bandicoot was mor like a 2D platformer with a behind-character view. True, he did have a limited amount of sideways movement, but using the word 'limited' is a hideous understatment. Crash Bandicoot was marginally more 3D than pandemonium - which despite 3D graphics, was essentially a 2D game. Crash was not in the same league as mario, that's for sure.
Sun 29/04/01 at 21:36
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Dan_uk wrote:
And anyway, I'd rather DK went
> back to his Snes roots with A-B. Freespace just doesn't suit him.

Id heard that people found DK64 to be a bit of a let down...

I havnt played it myself... it seemed a bit odd for Rare to go wrong with the DK series? (although I seem to remeber the press where a bit love or hate with the original SNEW version?

What was/is wrong with it?
Sun 29/04/01 at 21:27
Regular
It was in the A-B style but there's plenty of ways that Rare can keep this style and add a bit of free space in places.

Crash would run down a path but I think Rare have got what it takes to make it a bit more interesting.

And anyway, I'd rather DK went back to his Snes roots with A-B. Freespace just doesn't suit him.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.