GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fantasy Feelings and TOCA's Miracle"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/08/02 at 18:17
Regular
August? You're joking!! I only started playing a couple of hours ago, and it was mid-June then. As Wakka would say, "This can`t be happening." Well, it is, the first parts of this summer holiday have gone, and it seems to have been solely taken up by Final Fantasy 10. Right, some big Final Fantasy 10 things that I just have to discuss:

Achieving something more impressive than many stand alone football games can, the mini-game Blitzball has certainly caught my attention -

On my first go through the game I didn`t really do much in the way of secret hunting. I just wanted to complete it to see the story, and then go through properly a second time with the help of a guide to get absolutely everything. That of course means blitzball this time round.

When I lost my first proper match to the Al Bhed Psyches I wondered if I`d ever get into it properly, but gradually I`ve come to really enjoy it. I`ve done two leagues and two tournaments, and in this time I`ve moved Tidus's SH up to about 33 (small compared to some of the figures I`ve seen flying round on these forums).

My only weak spot for the first ten or so games had been the Al Bhed goalie, but they got rid of him!! :D I couldn`t believe it, they dumped him for some other goalie with no skill at all, meaning that its now virtually impossible to do worse than an 8-0 win against any team, and that certainly isn`t skill on my part.

It was a shame really as I have many more matches to play in order to get the top items and Wakka's best overdrives, and I feel there is less challenge to it now. Still, its very enjoyable to play anyway, even if it is a little easy.

One other thing though - "Break to..." I did NOT get that for ages. I didn`t bother with the tutorials which wasn`t a wise move, so I couldn`t understand why the opponents could select how many people to breakthrough where as I couldn`t. There I was, scanning the list of my three of four opponents, looking for the easiest ones to break through, (often the one lowest down) only to find that my character would try to go through the whole lot. It was a little too long before I realised that you have to break down the list, starting from the top up to the point you select, hence break TO. :D

Anyway, signing players to your team - Haven`t done it. Not once. I`ve kept re-signing my players, Jassu, Botta, Datto, Keepa and Letty, and have in fact only met three other people who play, two of which were signed to the GGs. I know there are more out there, but currently can`t see the point in going after them. I prefer my loyal team who know eachother's game :D

The Big Henemies

When it comes to majorly supreme gigantic enormous totally massive big beastie scare the pants of me baddies Final Fantasy 10 seems to have outdone anything before it - though Yojimbo has countered that a little. With FF7 there were a collection of weapons to beat, Ruby, Emerald and Ultima I believe, and with FF8 there was Ultima once again, and then Omega. (I`ll miss out Final Fantasy 9's terrifying fluffy bunny and dopey daisy as they were just way too scary to mention). Now Final Fantasy 10 - its got Ultima and Omega back for more, but then there are the dark aeons, Penance, Nemesis, and a whole load of slightly less terrifying, but still pretty scary creations from the monster arena. Thats quite a lot of fighting to do!

As I mentioned, I think Yojimbo has given an easy route out that shouldn`t be there, but they seem to have thought of this. For example, to beat Omega with Yojimbo you have to travel from the save point down to Omega, a fair distance, and with plenty of battles even with no encounters set, should Yojimbo then refuse to make use of Zanmato and die as a result, its a long way to go to repeat the process. However, Yojimbo can be trained well if you do the right things, meaning its often quite easy to get a Zanmato without even visiting the bank.

Celestial Weapons

Obviously you need to get on a chocobo, jump on some mystical feather, run to a temple, claim the cloudy mirror, help some family reunite, take the mirror to some orb in macalania, convert it into a celestial mirror, then use this to open chests containing celestial weapons. Once you have these, you definitely need to find a sigil and a crest, you take all this back to the orb in macalania and bingo, you have your celestial weapon. I didn`t even realise something as obvious as that! Am I the stupidest person or what? :D

Okay, so I`ll b using the guide this time round. I had weapons with "Break damage limit" first time round from beating a few dark aeons, but none of them were the real deal, the big whopper, the king prawn. They were tainted by highly annoying things such as Waterstrike and other elemental effects. Gutted when your perfect new weapon doesn`t work on even a midget creature like a flan or element.

Out of the catterpillar into the butterfly

So anyway, how about butterflies? I reached Macalania during the day this time (day in my house I mean, not the FF world) which helped greatly as I could actually tell the difference between blue and red this time round :D I must have spent 15 minutes at least wondering what was going on the first time when the guy kept saying "Catch the butterflies" and when I did, all I got was battles. Ah well, much more fun this time round, and an MP sphere as a reward was worth going for!

Spherical Polar Coordinates

Speaking of spheres, opinions on the two sphere grids: This time round I`ve selected the advanced grid, and though I can see the long term benefits (there appear to be more empty nodes as well as more flexibility in the direction you choose) it hasn`t impressed me a great deal. I have found myself thinking back to the basic grid and following the same paths converted onto this new grid. Its not a problem though, as I know that in the end it could make my team stronger.

Character names, good or bad? Give reasons.

1) Auron - great name, seems to fit his "Push me, and I`ll push you harder" attitude, even if Tidus can`t say it properly.

2) Rikku - Another decent name, and one that seems to flow when you hear it within the Al Bhed language.

3) Kimahri - Good stuff also, as long as you don`t think about squid. Fits in the same way as Nanaki did in FF7.

4) Yuna - Its okay I suppose, it`ll do. Nothing to spectacular, but then I guess thats how she is meant to be - a humble person who just happens to be able to summon gigantic beasties.

5) Wakka - Whack what? I find myself sitting in each battle, waiting for him to throw his blitzball, and then saying to myself "Whack a flan" or "Whack a whatever that is".

6) Lulu - I guess that because she is so quiet, I shouldn`t expect it anymore, but for a long time I kept expecting her to start singing country music whenever she won a battle.

7) Tidus - Now, this one depends on your pronounciation. If you pronounce it "Ty-Dus" (thai-dus) then this name should be up at number 2 or 3 ish. However, if you pronounce it in the same way as his voice actor does (i.e. Tee-dus) then you should a) leave it at number 7, and b) get Whacked by my friend Wakka.

Anyway, enough of the Final Fantasy bits, there are enough to fill a thousand topics so there`s no point trying to put it all in here. Next:

Okay, so why the TOCA's Miracle bit? Well...

I know almost nothing about this game, other than its the sequel to the fairly decent PS1 game, but decided to make this topic just in case this rather silly, but slightly funny (to me at least) topic title hadn`t already been used. Personally I`m sticking to Gran Turismo, WRC and Wipeout, though I know a lot of people are excited about TOCA.

A small and weird ending to a large topic, but it was one that made me laugh at the time.
Mon 12/08/02 at 23:43
Regular
Wow! Looks like you`ve been playing a fair bit of blitzball. I`ve only played about 40 games, so most of my values are almost as low as half yours! I think Tidus has an SH now of about 40.

As for the website, thanks for your entry ot the guestbook! I noticed it last night, and was quite shocked to find another visitor! Thanks again!
Sun 11/08/02 at 19:50
Regular
"Still luv her?! dun"
Oh 1 more thing,I visited your website Sir ssxpro or should I say Phil?Ahaks!!Can I call you phil?
Sun 11/08/02 at 19:43
Regular
"Still luv her?! dun"
Well,since this is a place 'bout Fanatasy Feelings than I might as well talk 'bout me blitzball which now I'm really proud of my team.

Before I played it for the first time,I studied the game on Tutorial but really didn't understand it cos I didn't bother reading the Instructions so when I played against the Luca Goers for the first time(First match of blitzball in the FFX game),I reseted about 25 times cos I wanted to win.Took me a long time 'ntil I understood how SH and CA with AT and EN worked.So In the end I won the game,2-1 (1-Wakka,1-Tidus for the Aurochs,1-Bickson for the Luca Goers).Since then,I've been great at blitzball.Not until I came across this Al Behd called Ropp who is working at the Miihen Highroad Branch.I hired him and fired Datto and Letty took Datto's place.At first I didn't know what to with him,so I just put him as a Mid-Feilder when he should be a defender.But Ropp learns fast and gains experience quickly.At level 6 he already has drain tackle 3.Isn't that amazing?After I bought Wedge from Luca I fired Letty which was really sad cos I knew he was always safe.After winning 100 games Letty finally joined the Kilika Beasts.After 12 games he was fired for his low level.But really after they fired him his level was 32!Which is amazing how the Kilika Beasts trained him from level 5.After he was fired I hired him straight away for he is really talented.Having more than 7 million gil I hired every player for 99 games and fired them after 1 game.Stupid I know.But really,no blitzer is as good as my Tidus.Now I've won 121 games and my current team level is 25 and here are the status of my players.....for Now!>:-) :

Name:Tidus(Hope of blitzball)
Level:68
HP:5397
SP:65(Almost as fast as a Guado)
EN:57(The EN of 2 Ronso's!!)
AT:17
PA:31
BL:14
SH:60(Use sphere shot and you'll still score from the centre of the pitch)
CA:14

Name:Wedge(Whizz Lucan)
Level:37
HP:2133
SP:65
EN:38
AT:27
PA:6
BL:20
SH:21
CA:10

Name:Ropp(The best Ally)
Level:81
HP:6339
SP:60
EN:40
AT:55(bring on the Ronsos!)
PA:72(No one can BL this one)
BL:43(No one can pass through their SH/PA!!)
SH:9
CA:17

Name:Jassu(Safe Blitzer)
Level:23
HP:1172
SP:64
EN:20
AT:15(That's cos Ropp's always in the way!)
PA:15
BL:11
SH:5
CA:5

Name:Botta(Trainee Defender)
Level:18
HP:1049
EN:16
AT:14(That's cos Ropp's always in the way!)
PA:10
BL:12
SH:4
CA:4

Name:Keepa(Seaman)
Level:30
HP:1618
SP:54
EN:14
AT:3
PA:8
BL:8
SH:1
CA:22(That's cos we always score which makes Keepa hard to gain exp. points)

The Subtitutes:
Name:Nedus(Slow but GOOD!!)
HP:2001
SP:32
EN:41
AT:10
PA:14
BL:5
SH:30
CA:30

Name:Letty(Safest blitzer)
HP:1992
EN:22
AT:14
PA:34
BL:17
SH:14
CA:8

I have won 121 games and my Tidus has scored 100 goals in a league before so I'm gonna leave blitzball.....for know!!But I'm still proud of my team!
Sun 11/08/02 at 18:50
Regular
Being totally honest, that wasn`t on my mind, I just started writing down all my thoughts about Final Fantasy 10. I was still at uni when it arrived, so I missed the original chatting, and since then I`ve been playing the game not talking about it... so I had a lot stored up that I needed to get off my chest.
Sun 11/08/02 at 18:36
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Phil, good post, are youn running short of cash and in need of a free game ? - who isn't ?
Sun 11/08/02 at 17:37
Regular
Fantasy Feelings: Part 2 -

Couple of things to add to it. Firstly favourite bit of CG. It just has to be the part just after the wedding in Bevelle where Yuna jumps off the building. When I saw it for the first time, I said to myself, why doesn`t she just summon Valefor as he can fly... and then she did. I actually stood up and shouted "Valefor!!". It was brilliant, I really loved the way they did that!

The other thing is ****Spoiler, sort of, seeing as its the ending...**** Do not read beyond this line of this post if you do not want to know a part of the ending.

Does Tidus come back? Is he alive at the end there? You see him disappear as he was part of the dream, but then at the very end, even after the credits I think, he is suddenly there, underwater, alive and well, possibly near Besaid again. It had me confused, thats for sure. Any ideas, pass `em on!
Sat 10/08/02 at 18:17
Regular
August? You're joking!! I only started playing a couple of hours ago, and it was mid-June then. As Wakka would say, "This can`t be happening." Well, it is, the first parts of this summer holiday have gone, and it seems to have been solely taken up by Final Fantasy 10. Right, some big Final Fantasy 10 things that I just have to discuss:

Achieving something more impressive than many stand alone football games can, the mini-game Blitzball has certainly caught my attention -

On my first go through the game I didn`t really do much in the way of secret hunting. I just wanted to complete it to see the story, and then go through properly a second time with the help of a guide to get absolutely everything. That of course means blitzball this time round.

When I lost my first proper match to the Al Bhed Psyches I wondered if I`d ever get into it properly, but gradually I`ve come to really enjoy it. I`ve done two leagues and two tournaments, and in this time I`ve moved Tidus's SH up to about 33 (small compared to some of the figures I`ve seen flying round on these forums).

My only weak spot for the first ten or so games had been the Al Bhed goalie, but they got rid of him!! :D I couldn`t believe it, they dumped him for some other goalie with no skill at all, meaning that its now virtually impossible to do worse than an 8-0 win against any team, and that certainly isn`t skill on my part.

It was a shame really as I have many more matches to play in order to get the top items and Wakka's best overdrives, and I feel there is less challenge to it now. Still, its very enjoyable to play anyway, even if it is a little easy.

One other thing though - "Break to..." I did NOT get that for ages. I didn`t bother with the tutorials which wasn`t a wise move, so I couldn`t understand why the opponents could select how many people to breakthrough where as I couldn`t. There I was, scanning the list of my three of four opponents, looking for the easiest ones to break through, (often the one lowest down) only to find that my character would try to go through the whole lot. It was a little too long before I realised that you have to break down the list, starting from the top up to the point you select, hence break TO. :D

Anyway, signing players to your team - Haven`t done it. Not once. I`ve kept re-signing my players, Jassu, Botta, Datto, Keepa and Letty, and have in fact only met three other people who play, two of which were signed to the GGs. I know there are more out there, but currently can`t see the point in going after them. I prefer my loyal team who know eachother's game :D

The Big Henemies

When it comes to majorly supreme gigantic enormous totally massive big beastie scare the pants of me baddies Final Fantasy 10 seems to have outdone anything before it - though Yojimbo has countered that a little. With FF7 there were a collection of weapons to beat, Ruby, Emerald and Ultima I believe, and with FF8 there was Ultima once again, and then Omega. (I`ll miss out Final Fantasy 9's terrifying fluffy bunny and dopey daisy as they were just way too scary to mention). Now Final Fantasy 10 - its got Ultima and Omega back for more, but then there are the dark aeons, Penance, Nemesis, and a whole load of slightly less terrifying, but still pretty scary creations from the monster arena. Thats quite a lot of fighting to do!

As I mentioned, I think Yojimbo has given an easy route out that shouldn`t be there, but they seem to have thought of this. For example, to beat Omega with Yojimbo you have to travel from the save point down to Omega, a fair distance, and with plenty of battles even with no encounters set, should Yojimbo then refuse to make use of Zanmato and die as a result, its a long way to go to repeat the process. However, Yojimbo can be trained well if you do the right things, meaning its often quite easy to get a Zanmato without even visiting the bank.

Celestial Weapons

Obviously you need to get on a chocobo, jump on some mystical feather, run to a temple, claim the cloudy mirror, help some family reunite, take the mirror to some orb in macalania, convert it into a celestial mirror, then use this to open chests containing celestial weapons. Once you have these, you definitely need to find a sigil and a crest, you take all this back to the orb in macalania and bingo, you have your celestial weapon. I didn`t even realise something as obvious as that! Am I the stupidest person or what? :D

Okay, so I`ll b using the guide this time round. I had weapons with "Break damage limit" first time round from beating a few dark aeons, but none of them were the real deal, the big whopper, the king prawn. They were tainted by highly annoying things such as Waterstrike and other elemental effects. Gutted when your perfect new weapon doesn`t work on even a midget creature like a flan or element.

Out of the catterpillar into the butterfly

So anyway, how about butterflies? I reached Macalania during the day this time (day in my house I mean, not the FF world) which helped greatly as I could actually tell the difference between blue and red this time round :D I must have spent 15 minutes at least wondering what was going on the first time when the guy kept saying "Catch the butterflies" and when I did, all I got was battles. Ah well, much more fun this time round, and an MP sphere as a reward was worth going for!

Spherical Polar Coordinates

Speaking of spheres, opinions on the two sphere grids: This time round I`ve selected the advanced grid, and though I can see the long term benefits (there appear to be more empty nodes as well as more flexibility in the direction you choose) it hasn`t impressed me a great deal. I have found myself thinking back to the basic grid and following the same paths converted onto this new grid. Its not a problem though, as I know that in the end it could make my team stronger.

Character names, good or bad? Give reasons.

1) Auron - great name, seems to fit his "Push me, and I`ll push you harder" attitude, even if Tidus can`t say it properly.

2) Rikku - Another decent name, and one that seems to flow when you hear it within the Al Bhed language.

3) Kimahri - Good stuff also, as long as you don`t think about squid. Fits in the same way as Nanaki did in FF7.

4) Yuna - Its okay I suppose, it`ll do. Nothing to spectacular, but then I guess thats how she is meant to be - a humble person who just happens to be able to summon gigantic beasties.

5) Wakka - Whack what? I find myself sitting in each battle, waiting for him to throw his blitzball, and then saying to myself "Whack a flan" or "Whack a whatever that is".

6) Lulu - I guess that because she is so quiet, I shouldn`t expect it anymore, but for a long time I kept expecting her to start singing country music whenever she won a battle.

7) Tidus - Now, this one depends on your pronounciation. If you pronounce it "Ty-Dus" (thai-dus) then this name should be up at number 2 or 3 ish. However, if you pronounce it in the same way as his voice actor does (i.e. Tee-dus) then you should a) leave it at number 7, and b) get Whacked by my friend Wakka.

Anyway, enough of the Final Fantasy bits, there are enough to fill a thousand topics so there`s no point trying to put it all in here. Next:

Okay, so why the TOCA's Miracle bit? Well...

I know almost nothing about this game, other than its the sequel to the fairly decent PS1 game, but decided to make this topic just in case this rather silly, but slightly funny (to me at least) topic title hadn`t already been used. Personally I`m sticking to Gran Turismo, WRC and Wipeout, though I know a lot of people are excited about TOCA.

A small and weird ending to a large topic, but it was one that made me laugh at the time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.