GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Reasons to be Cheerful..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/09/06 at 08:23
"possibly impossible"
So, the PS3 are launching everywhere but in Europe. It seems that yet another company hates us. But it’s not all doom and gloom here. Just look on the bright side.

For those Sony fans, think about every other console launch, we’ve always had to wait for our hardware, but then we usually get a few more launch games out of it, the excitement grows with the extra time and the hardware gets tested by other countries so they can hopefully fix all the bugs. Also, Blu-ray may have taken off by then and you’ll actually be able to use the PS3 as a player, making use of the titles on the shelf in the shops.

Xbox fans can rejoice in the fact that the 360 is given an extra boost this Christmas by only having one possible rival in Europe. This, in-turn, may lead to a greater love and focus on Europe by Microsoft. More people deflecting to the 360 because they can’t wait for a PS3 will boost sales and even more third parties are already flocking to write games for the system, the results of which will mean that next year we’ll see more games releases.

And finally, Nintendo. We wondered what they’d need to pull a release alongside the PS3 out of the bag. Now they have slightly less to worry about, with the whole of Europe in their hands. More support for one of their consoles than ever before means that they should see far more success and with more third party titles coming and great reviews from the media, they’ve finally got their home console pitch right.

So wipe that frown off your face and smile. We’ve got a lot to look forward to in gaming.
Sun 10/09/06 at 23:36
"possibly impossible"
Sony will still do well, whatever.

Yes, they'll adopt a positive spin on the American and Asian launch, but, as I said, Europe nearly always gets a later launch on any console, it's just that Sony raised the expectations before changing their mind.

I'm not a 'fan' of the PS3 (I sold my PS2 on Christmas 2004 because I just didn't play it), but it does seem technically a good console. It's just the price and now the launch that will put many off...
Fri 08/09/06 at 18:04
Regular
"8==="
No amount of spin can get them past all the hurdles they have to face now.

It's great to watch as I am not a fan of spin and FMV lies.

"Come in oh Arthur Daley of console manufacturers: your time is up!" :D
Fri 08/09/06 at 17:40
Regular
"The definitive tag"
It seems to me that Sony's success is going to be relying heavily on the fanboys.

If the so called 'average gamer' wants a next gen console this Christmas, then a PS3 is clearly out of the question. I don't know how many people are willing to wait for three or four months for their Christmas present after the big day, especially when that particular present has already recieved an enormous amount of bad publicity. I can't see anyone who isn't a die-hard Sony fan waiting and having nothing to open on Christmas day.

It's shaping up to be a disasterous generation for Sony, and I really hope Nintendo can capitalize on it. I don't believe any amount of hyping the Wii and it's radically different playing style could overcome Sony without Sony being at a disadvantage. Nintendo have been given a huge helping hand here, and I hope they make the best use of it.
Fri 08/09/06 at 16:54
Regular
Is there a release date for the Wii yet?

I'm a ninty at heart, and although I've not made a massive effort to learn about it, I don't know when the release is (Cooky tells me it might be next month!) or all that much about it, beyond the fancy controller, backwards compatability and downloadable games. And I use this forum!

I don't think things are looking that great for the company, in terms of their chances of pulling off a big revival.
Fri 08/09/06 at 14:14
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I think if the PS3 does badly Sony only have themselves to blame.

Like in the original post Sony has gifted it's rivals an advantage which they will surely capitalise on and speaking from a personal point of view I'm not a fanboy of any particular console or company and if I decide I want a new console I go for what I think is the best at the time.

Before the announcement from Sony I'd planned to stick with my PS2 and wait until the PS3 hopefully came down in price after Christmas - Spring time and get one then.

Now it'll be closer to Christmas next year before that happens, maybe even after into 2008 and seeing as I'd been slightly tempted before hand to get an X - Box instead the prospect of that happening has now shot up.

I'm sure there are many others in my situation who may or may not look elsewhere apart from Sony for their next console and it's just a matter of Sony and Nintendo fully capitalising on Sonys delay to see how big the impact may or may not be.
Fri 08/09/06 at 11:43
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
pb wrote:
> Xbox fans can rejoice in the fact that the 360 is given an extra
> boost this Christmas by only having one possible rival in Europe.
> This, in-turn, may lead to a greater love and focus on Europe by
> Microsoft.

Or it'll mean even less focus on Europe from Microsoft as like you say there is only one rival in Europe whereas it'll have two in the NTSC territories thus meaning they need to concentrate more on those areas due to the higher competition while leaving Europe to happily swim along on its own in its one competitior world (although it'll still do incredibly bad in Japan just because of the lack of Japanese style games and their loyalty to their own country's products)
Fri 08/09/06 at 11:42
"possibly impossible"
I think less people in continental Europe buy consoles and games though, being less technically minded (and less consumer based). Americans, English and Japanese shoppers tend to go for anything new and shiny.
Fri 08/09/06 at 09:35
Regular
Is the North American market much, much larger than the European one? Population wise, America and Canada are matched by the UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Portugal combined. I guess the only other countries not mentioned are smaller but probably add up to over 100 million more, but then I then some are poorer nations.

What I never liked about this, was all the good games from Japan. Of course they would get it first and lots of them, then onto America and the numbers drop, then finally Europe and we get less than the Americans did. No wonder Kawada wants to live there.
Fri 08/09/06 at 08:23
"possibly impossible"
So, the PS3 are launching everywhere but in Europe. It seems that yet another company hates us. But it’s not all doom and gloom here. Just look on the bright side.

For those Sony fans, think about every other console launch, we’ve always had to wait for our hardware, but then we usually get a few more launch games out of it, the excitement grows with the extra time and the hardware gets tested by other countries so they can hopefully fix all the bugs. Also, Blu-ray may have taken off by then and you’ll actually be able to use the PS3 as a player, making use of the titles on the shelf in the shops.

Xbox fans can rejoice in the fact that the 360 is given an extra boost this Christmas by only having one possible rival in Europe. This, in-turn, may lead to a greater love and focus on Europe by Microsoft. More people deflecting to the 360 because they can’t wait for a PS3 will boost sales and even more third parties are already flocking to write games for the system, the results of which will mean that next year we’ll see more games releases.

And finally, Nintendo. We wondered what they’d need to pull a release alongside the PS3 out of the bag. Now they have slightly less to worry about, with the whole of Europe in their hands. More support for one of their consoles than ever before means that they should see far more success and with more third party titles coming and great reviews from the media, they’ve finally got their home console pitch right.

So wipe that frown off your face and smile. We’ve got a lot to look forward to in gaming.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.