GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming Magazines (again!)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/11/00 at 22:42
Regular
Are there any good multiformat mags that are not biased to or against one console. C&VG seems quite good, but after reading it there doesn't seem to be much content to the magazine.

Games Master on the other hand, don't get me started on Games Master, argh! They are just blinkered fools with no sense of how to write a magazine (in my opinion of course) and I would only consider their mag for the tips booklets, most of which i can get on the internet.

While I'm on the subject, does anyone keep their games mags? I think i've still got the first issue of Edge somewhere. I know I've got an issue of Your Sinclair in a bag, signed by the staff. Actually, it's still got the tapes on!
Fri 23/05/08 at 14:28
Regular
There are 4 spaces left on Friday 30 May, diving out of Eyemouth on Marine Quest. We will be diving the wreck of HMS Pathfinder, which was the first ship ever to be sunk by a torpedo, it was sunk on the 5 September 1914 by the U21 and lies in 65m of water off St Abbs head. The Torpedo hit the main magazine and the ship exploded and sank killing 259 men, there were only 11 survivors.
Never dived the wreck myself but people I have spoke to who have dived it say it's a very interesting dive.
If anyones interested in going ring me Andy boyle on 01706 669220
Fri 17/11/00 at 23:19
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Yep, and the discs are worth it, too. I remember getting a playable demo of Driver just before it was released, and was playing that almost longer than the game itself after it was released. Worth every penny of the £4.99 it cost. Oh yeah, there was a magazine attached to it too, I think.
Fri 17/11/00 at 23:17
"possibly impossible"
I must admit, I like PC format and have read OPM in the past too. I like most of the official magazines, but rarely buy any of them for news, relying mostly on the web as it's quicker and more up-to-date (although believing everything you read may not be a good idea!) The only mag I buy regularly is ODM, which is probably more of an example of style over content, but has some good articles. The main reason I buy it? The disc on the front!
Fri 17/11/00 at 23:09
Regular
Oops, sorry guys and gals, looks like my satirical writing is losing its edge. If you read my post again, but with an ironic accent, you'll see that I was joking. OPM is partially biased, but as Babylonian very adroitly points out, it is only 'occaisionally' biased by cracking the odd joke. He's right, they do, and you have to look very hard through editorials of past issues to find them dissing other consoles. The reason for this is that Future Publishing bring out magazines for all formats (and, believe it or not, knitting), so to diss one product over another would be bad for business in some respects.
Seriously, I have always liked Future's style, so I stick with them, I find it easy to find the sections I want to look at first because I am familiar with the layout, and you get to recognise who's reviews are the ones to trust after a while.
So in the end, it doesn't matter which magazine you prefer, stick with what you are happy with, like your console, and you are always onto a winner.
Playstation is the best console ever.
Did I just write that?
Fri 17/11/00 at 21:33
> Official UK Playstation Magazine isn't biased? Does that mean it
> actually praises Nintendo for creating the Playstation? Does this
> mean it is happy that other companies like Nintendo and Sega are
> making quality games compared to that Sony trash? Does that mean
> that they are glad there is a new company creating more
> competition in the games market?

I couldn't really say whether they are happy with any of that, because they don't often mention any other format. That, IMHO, is how it should be - I buy a PlayStation mag because I want to know about the PlayStation, not because I want childish jokes about other formats.

OPM may crack the occasional joke, or make an occasional comment, but I certainly wouldn't call them biased... unless, of course, covering only one format counts as bias?

By far the worst mag for PS bias I have read is PlayStation Plus (or Play Nation, or The Player - whichever of its recent names you wish to use).

Nintendo may have been involved in the early stages of PlayStation (working in conjunction with Sony to create a CD add-on for the SNES etc.), but they eventually pulled out thinking it was a bad idea - or whatever. It was Sony who stuck with it, continuing to invest, devloping it into a full console, and bringing it to market. Do Nintendo really deserve more credit for it than Sony?

As for the quality of Sony's own software, well that's a matter of personal opinion. But there are plenty of quality titles on the PlayStation - does it really matter whether they're made by Sony or not? Not to me, nor I'm sure to many other people. The quality - or lack of - in Sony's own software is a very flimsy stick with which to try and beat the PS.

I would also imagine that Sega and Nintendo will be considerably more concerned with Microsoft's entry into the console market than Sony will, if only for financial reasons.
Fri 17/11/00 at 20:41
The N64 Unofficial magazine is not biased. It just rates and plays all the games etc, but it does not claim that the PSX is the spawn of satan like the official Nintendo mag does. Of course, it is hard not to be biased against such a poor machine like the PSX....
Fri 17/11/00 at 19:12

The only really good magazine out at the moment is the 'Official UK Playstation Magazine' because it is totally unbiased and covers a game console, games for that console, and accessories for the console.

All the other magazines are about knitting.

Official UK Playstation Magazine isn't biased? Does that mean it actually praises Nintendo for creating the Playstation? Does this mean it is happy that other companies like Nintendo and Sega are making quality games compared to that Sony trash? Does that mean that they are glad there is a new company creating more competition in the games market?

I think not!

Gamesmaster is biased! (towards Playstation)
NOM are biased
and all other magazines which are for a single format are definately biased!

CVG is praised for being designed for the younger games? How come everyone moans when Nintendo do the same?
Fri 17/11/00 at 18:36
"possibly impossible"
Hey! I didn't dis C&VG, I find it quite entertaining, but I'm just saying that there's not much content to the reviews and that means I read through it in 30 minutes.

Most of the reviews seem pretty spot on though.
Fri 17/11/00 at 15:24
Regular
The only really good magazine out at the moment is the 'Official UK Playstation Magazine' because it is totally unbiased and covers a game console, games for that console, and accessories for the console.

All the other magazines are about knitting.
Fri 17/11/00 at 00:02
Hey, dont diss CVG!!! I met the guys who make it and theyre a great bunch of people. I did also play a pre-release PS2 there too. CVG is not aimed at the hardcore gamer, its aimed at a younger audience.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.