GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Magazines"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/11/00 at 21:43
Regular
Back when I were a lad, computer magazines were funny and took themselves a lot less serious than they do today. Everyone who worked in the industry looked forward to the future with bright expectations and believed anything was possible.

Back in the early eighties it was a world so much different to the one we see today. That may sound ridiculous, but magazines like C&VG and Your Sinclair, among others, were eager to stress that games were the biggest thing on the planet and the fact that amazing graphics involved 2 to 16 colours and some computer games incurred long loading times didn't matter one jot.

Covers often featured fully hand drawn impressions of the game characters and the promise of a fantasy world few of us could actually get, certainly not with simple graphics and plink-plonk sound effects anyway. But everyone seemed happy to be involved with games and there were very little arguments about prices of games or how Sega were marketing their Mastersystem in the letters pages. Magazines often came with free tapes or were priced so low that you could usually buy three and still have change left for something to eat.

It seems that there is more cynicism around in mags these days, although the in-fighting between machines was there back then, but it was less consumer driven and more of a challenge for new and exciting forms of game. But that's only my perspective and I may be getting a little too old for my own good!
Thu 16/11/00 at 21:43
"possibly impossible"
Back when I were a lad, computer magazines were funny and took themselves a lot less serious than they do today. Everyone who worked in the industry looked forward to the future with bright expectations and believed anything was possible.

Back in the early eighties it was a world so much different to the one we see today. That may sound ridiculous, but magazines like C&VG and Your Sinclair, among others, were eager to stress that games were the biggest thing on the planet and the fact that amazing graphics involved 2 to 16 colours and some computer games incurred long loading times didn't matter one jot.

Covers often featured fully hand drawn impressions of the game characters and the promise of a fantasy world few of us could actually get, certainly not with simple graphics and plink-plonk sound effects anyway. But everyone seemed happy to be involved with games and there were very little arguments about prices of games or how Sega were marketing their Mastersystem in the letters pages. Magazines often came with free tapes or were priced so low that you could usually buy three and still have change left for something to eat.

It seems that there is more cynicism around in mags these days, although the in-fighting between machines was there back then, but it was less consumer driven and more of a challenge for new and exciting forms of game. But that's only my perspective and I may be getting a little too old for my own good!
Fri 24/11/00 at 15:47
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Gaming hit the bigtime, that's what happened. More mass appeal, more profits, more risks, less fun =(.
I blame Sony...Perhaps on the aniversary of the release of the PSX a miniute's silence should be observed for the death of exciting new games?
I want to know what day of the week it was...so I can refer to it as "Black Tuesday" of "Black Monday" or whatever.

Did I mention I hate Sony?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.