GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"www.tenuouslinks.co.uk"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/08/02 at 18:59
Regular
What does anybody think of my new freeola web site www.tenuouslinks.co.uk Constructive and destructive comments appreciated.
Wed 21/08/02 at 02:37
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Mele wrote:
> I see what you're saying but in terms of meta keywords for such a
> broadly focused site it's difficult. I have however cut then down
> quite a bit.
>

Well, I think thats a matter of perspective. Its a directory site, that you have some links to some games site, doesn't necessarily qualify games as a valid keyword especially if you cannot back up that with enough related words in the actual page content. Thats another problem with your javascript I think, I very much doubt search bots can navigate your site because they won't be able to identify links as they are built in javascript functions.
Really though, its almost a science getting keywords right. Something that the company I used to work for did was to analyse search engine statistics and gear keywords etc. towards what people are searching for. You can literally spend weeks trying to perfect them.

> I think link exchanging is the way ahead. Do you think that you can
> achieve higher search engine ratings using banner exchange programs
> such as ukbuttons.com, which I already have done.
>

I'm not sure to be honest, it really depends how the search engines gather link information. Possibly not though simple because on banner exchange programs, the links usually take you directly to the program hoster (so they can log the link being clicked etc.) and then they forward to the relevant site, so at least in the source, there is no direct link to your site. But as I say, not sure how the link information is gathered.
Having said that, if they generate traffic to your site then of course they are worth it regardless of the effect on search engines.

Given the nature of your site I'd be inclined to target people you are willing to list. Create yourself a set of banners/buttons etc. and go hunting for decent sites. They are many decent and useful sites around that don't get much traffic that will probably be glad to be listed in exchange for sticking a link/banner up. Obviously this won't work on large sites but you've got to start somewhere and most importantly it will help your search engine rating as well as generate traffic.

-G
Tue 20/08/02 at 19:16
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
heh, some people do it.
Tue 20/08/02 at 18:59
Joke ?
Mon 19/08/02 at 18:29
Mele wrote:
> Annbody ant ideas as to what meta keywords I could use for my site
> www.tenuouslinks.co.uk
>
> I need some TRAFFIC
>
> I've only had 620 hits in 2 months

Copy the dictionary...
Mon 19/08/02 at 09:03
mmm.... no

Whooo! wrote:
> Did you really need to quote that entire post?
Sun 18/08/02 at 18:56
Regular
"How Handy."
Did you really need to quote that entire post?
Sun 18/08/02 at 18:40
G

I see what you're saying but in terms of meta keywords for such a broadly focused site it's difficult. I have however cut then down quite a bit.

I think link exchanging is the way ahead. Do you think that you can achieve higher search engine ratings using banner exchange programs such as ukbuttons.com, which I already have done.

If not any ideas ?

M

Garin wrote:
> Mele wrote:
> www.tenuouslinks.co.uk
>
> I need some TRAFFIC
>
>
> Ah yes, forgot that in my first post....
> You have far too many meta keywords, you should have at most 20 - 30
> keywords that are tightly focused. Although search engines are moving
> away from relying on meta tags so much these days, they will still
> mark down sites that have far too many keywords that aren't
> necessarily linked.
> Theres a thread around here somewhere, started last week sometime
> about search engines, plenty of useful information in there.
>
> Even so, search engines will be quite a poor source of traffic for
> you. To generate traffic on your site you should try to concentrate
> on link exchanging, it can be a very good source of traffic. Apart
> from anything else, its something some search engines can and will
> pick up on (ie external links to your site) which in turn can push you
> up the search lists.
>
> -G
Sun 18/08/02 at 18:35
Twain wrote:
> Nice site.
>
> As MJ said, there is a wierd frame on the far right. It is invisible
> when the page first loads, but if you slowly move the cursor towards
> the right of the screen, it becomes a resizing arrow and you can drag
> it which isn't good. That wierd frame also means that we cannot go
> back. Clicking the back button causes that wierd frame to refresh and
> refresh the whole site, which isn't a good technique to use. I'd
> recommend deleting it.

Cheers,

I think I've fixed this I just changed the frameset to noresize. I appreciate the back button is a bit problematic (sometimes you need to press it twice because of the way I load the frames) but I think I'll have to stick with this until the first make over.

The "wierd frame" is just a holder which I use to transfer data collected client-side to the server.

Thank again

Mele
Sat 17/08/02 at 14:24
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Nice site.

As MJ said, there is a wierd frame on the far right. It is invisible when the page first loads, but if you slowly move the cursor towards the right of the screen, it becomes a resizing arrow and you can drag it which isn't good. That wierd frame also means that we cannot go back. Clicking the back button causes that wierd frame to refresh and refresh the whole site, which isn't a good technique to use. I'd recommend deleting it.
Sat 17/08/02 at 13:24
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Mele wrote:
> www.tenuouslinks.co.uk
>
> I need some TRAFFIC
>

Ah yes, forgot that in my first post....
You have far too many meta keywords, you should have at most 20 - 30 keywords that are tightly focused. Although search engines are moving away from relying on meta tags so much these days, they will still mark down sites that have far too many keywords that aren't necessarily linked.
Theres a thread around here somewhere, started last week sometime about search engines, plenty of useful information in there.

Even so, search engines will be quite a poor source of traffic for you. To generate traffic on your site you should try to concentrate on link exchanging, it can be a very good source of traffic. Apart from anything else, its something some search engines can and will pick up on (ie external links to your site) which in turn can push you up the search lists.

-G

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.