GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NTSC, PAL and 100Hz quick question...?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/08/02 at 17:53
Regular
I am just about to purchase a new widescreen television and know that my Region 1 DVD's will not play in colour due to having a PAL television... so I want to purchase an NTSC compatible television. Looking through various catalogues and websites I found that some Televisions are 100Hz, does this mean they'll play all region DVD's in colour?

My question is does 100Hz mean, they play Region 1 DVD's in colour and so does NTSC compatible?

Answers quickly please, doing to buy TV now...

Cheers
Wed 07/08/02 at 20:58
"MMMMM, Chicken"
I would recommend looking at qed-uk.com and empire-direct.co.uk as well as high street stores and Makro stores (if your a member). You can save quite a lot of money by shopping around.
Wed 07/08/02 at 20:54
"MMMMM, Chicken"
NTSC and PAL are standards, 50Hz,60Hz and 100Hz refer to the ammount of times per second the screen updates. PAL uses 50Hz ie.updates the screen at 50 frames per second, but has 625 lines, compared to NTSC's 525 Lines but 60 frame per second refresh rate. A useful rule of thumb is the 50:60 ratio, that switches round whether you are talking about ntsc or pal. 100hz updates the screen 100 times per second.

OK, now the tv doesn't update the whole screen at the same time, it updates half of it and then the other, in interpolated lines, so a 50hz tv would update the screen 50 times per second, each half would have been updated 25 times. Same for NTSC, 100Hz is twice the PAL standard for the refresh rate, so you cannot as easily tell that the image is updated interpolatedly (really you can't tell in general use though). 100Hz is good for tv that was recorded on tape in a pal format, as you get 50 full frames per second which is the rate at which it was recorded, but for films, that were recorded for film at 24 full frames per second, and put on disc at 25/30 full frames per second (thats why the same film may have a shorter playlength on a NTSC disc), so for PAL dvd's a 50hz tv is more than satisfactory, and for NTSC discs a 60hz NTSC compatible TV is more than satisfactory. 100HZ is only really better for TV, and possibly games.

If you want a top quality picture make sure that the tv is progressive scan, ie. It updates all the frame at the refresh rate, rather than half each time, this ensures a truly flicker free smooth picture, and new games like Tekken 4 cater for this feature.

Either way, make sure the TV is NTSC compatible, being 100hz does not guarantee it will be, but generally a 100hz tv is new enough, and expensive enough to have this feature. Either way, try to get a flat screen, as this improves the picture far more significantly than an incresed refresh rate.
Wed 07/08/02 at 20:40
"MMMMM, Chicken"
NTSC and PAL are standards, 50Hz,60Hz and 100Hz refer to the ammount of times per second the screen updates. PAL uses 50Hz ie.updates the screen at 50 frames per second, but has 625 lines, compared to
Wed 07/08/02 at 19:03
Regular
"Kiss my face!"
100Hz means that the picture on your screen (using dvds is perfect ie. wont flicker). I have heard that 100hz isnt very good for normal tv viewing though. Also this wont play Region 1 dvds if it is only PAL compatible.

Your best bet is to buy a 50hz NTSC compatible tv. Also if your DVD player can output in PAL60 or pseudo pal then there is no need to but a NTSC compatible one becuase the dvd player will convert the NTSC signal into a PAl signal so that it appears in colour in your PAL only tv.

Hope this helps.
Wed 07/08/02 at 17:53
I am just about to purchase a new widescreen television and know that my Region 1 DVD's will not play in colour due to having a PAL television... so I want to purchase an NTSC compatible television. Looking through various catalogues and websites I found that some Televisions are 100Hz, does this mean they'll play all region DVD's in colour?

My question is does 100Hz mean, they play Region 1 DVD's in colour and so does NTSC compatible?

Answers quickly please, doing to buy TV now...

Cheers

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.