GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Some News on PS3"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/08/02 at 17:15
Regular
Takem from gamesradar.com...

"Design of PlayStation 3 chip almost finished!!

Production of the 'Cell' chip for PS3 could begin in late 2004

Engineers from Sony, IBM and Toshiba have finished designing a new chip called 'Cell' - the chip that is rumoured to be for PlayStation 3.

Touted as a super-computer on a chip, the design will shortly be passed over to engineers who will then produce samples of it. The way things are currently progressing, it's reported that the chip would be ready for production at the end of 2004.

Cell is said to differ from existing microprocesors in that it will also be able to handle high-bandwidth communication and run multiple devices.

So a set-top box containing a Cell chip, for example, could share processing power with a Cell-driven TV to render the visuals for an animated film.

Meanwhile, rumours have been sweeping the net of a supposed Sony investors meeting that took place in Osaka last month where a pre-production version of the PlayStation 3 was allegedly unveiled.

Suffice to say that, considering design has only just finished of the chip, 'news' of a pre-production model in action is somewhat on the premature side..."

Good, bad, pointless? What do you think?
Fri 09/08/02 at 19:46
Na†ßu© wrote:
> I reckon it will be kinda see through but it will light up blue and
> the plastic will be blue tinted :D

like that cool nokia phone?
Fri 09/08/02 at 13:48
"For the horde!!!!"
well at the moment i'm enjoying my PS2 :)
anyway if they release the PS3 too soon then won't Nintendo and Microsoft just just counter that with a newer lastist "super cpmputer chip". i say why don't sony take their time over the design of the new chip, if it's almost finished now won't it be out done when Nintendo decide to design a chip in years to come.
Thu 08/08/02 at 16:53
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
I'm lost already so that wont work !!

Muuuuuuuuh !!
Thu 08/08/02 at 16:02
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
a. I was
b. just telling
c. the forum
d. Get Lost!
Thu 08/08/02 at 15:58
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
a. Who cares
b. Whats the point
c. Enjoy your PS2
d. Freaks !!
Thu 08/08/02 at 08:51
Regular
"  "
I reckon it will be kinda see through but it will light up blue and the plastic will be blue tinted :D
Thu 08/08/02 at 00:13
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I just hope they don't rush the release of the console with half finished games like the PS2. But seeing as that stratagy gained their foothold in the console market with the PS2, I fear that will be the likely option sony takes for it's future machine.
Thu 08/08/02 at 00:00
Regular
Smilin Demon wrote:
> I wonder what it will look like, the console I mean. I remember seeing
> early expectations of the PS2 and they were way off, I think they were
> only going by what the PSone looked like then, and they were just in
> the margine of a mag.
>

i bought a mag a couple of years back and they had designs, they also said, whatever choice gets the most votes fromthe users it will be the real thing. they did this to get money and you had to phone up. i never did. buit after a couple of months, they revealed that a purble "gamecube" like shape would be the PS2. tw*ts.
Wed 07/08/02 at 23:58
Regular
Fuzzy wrote:
> Doesn't bother me, by then I'll have a *real* job, so I can buy it @
> launch (unlike my PS2)
>
> <:-)

me too, once I have 400 saved, i'm keeping it, then if it costs any more than that i'll add what ever's neccessary at the time. by that time i'll be almost 19, wooooooh.
Wed 07/08/02 at 22:55
Regular
Hercules! wrote:
> Erm....... I *did* say that we were going to move swiftly on now......
> didnt I?
>
> *rolls eyes*

What? I was serious!!

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.