GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fish Need to Chill Out"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/08/02 at 13:23
Regular
Imagine living in a glass house with no curtains or blinds to shield you from the outside world. Day after day, gigantic alien faces peer into your home, knock at your windows, and thrust humongous hands into your living room. Sound stressful?

Ironically, those goldfish and spotted sunfish you bought last month to help you lower your blood pressure are in need of some R and R themselves. That's because fish get stressed too.

How do you know if your fish are stressed? "You can tell by the way they sit in the water,if they're gilling more rapidly than usual, that's probably a sign of stress."

To keep things calm in waterworld, consider the following.

Why can't everyone just get along?
Remember the boy or girl in school who used to torment you at recess? Well, there are bullies in the fish world too, and they can traumatize their more timid targets by poking, chasing, and taunting them into submission. To prevent turf wars in your tank, stick with species that get along. Ask the owner of your local pet store for guidance.

Moving daze:
Bringing fish from the Pet store to your home aquarium can be very stressful for them. That's when disease is likely to take hold, says Krum, who strongly advocates putting new arrivals in an inexpensive 10-gallon quarantine tank with a basic filter for the first month. This move protects your new purchase as well as the fish you already own. "It seems impractical," he admits. "But in the long run, you'll end up saving money and time and so many fish."

Keep the quarantine tank sparse and clean and change the water frequently.

Sweeten the water:
Poor water quality is one of the most stressful things for your fish, says Krum. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in the water can be toxic, so invest in a good biological filter and change the water often to keep your aquarium healthy.

Crowded house:
We all need a little elbow room to maintain some semblance of sanity in our cluttered lives. Fish too, it seems. Keeping too many fish in close quarters can provoke aggressive behavior. If you already have a full house and feel like adopting some siblings for your fish friends, make sure you get a bigger tank.
Thu 08/08/02 at 13:19
Regular
Fish?
Thu 08/08/02 at 11:32
"Stupid Newbie :D"
Nope... I think its more likely they're trying to say this:

http://www.petsmart.com/ fish/answers/articles/article_3347.shtml

http://www.ivillage.com/pets/other/ fish/articles/0,12329,167028_426016,00.html

(Remember to remove the space boys and girls)

So, "Julie", what sort of advice would you give on remedic treatment for a homesick Gameboy Advance? I dunno about you... but the last time I saw a fish playing videogames was, well... never. I saw a dolphin playing with a little toy that made sounds once, but thats about as far as it went.
Thu 08/08/02 at 11:28
Regular
"DOH!!!!"
what has that question got to do with fish and yes i did mean to spell it wrong.
Thu 08/08/02 at 11:26
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Did you spell your name wrong deliberately?
Thu 08/08/02 at 11:24
Regular
"DOH!!!!"
Are you trying to say that nobody has any fish.
Wed 07/08/02 at 13:51
Regular
"DOH!!!!"
Any fishy problems then report to me and i will sort them out.
Wed 07/08/02 at 13:23
Regular
"DOH!!!!"
Imagine living in a glass house with no curtains or blinds to shield you from the outside world. Day after day, gigantic alien faces peer into your home, knock at your windows, and thrust humongous hands into your living room. Sound stressful?

Ironically, those goldfish and spotted sunfish you bought last month to help you lower your blood pressure are in need of some R and R themselves. That's because fish get stressed too.

How do you know if your fish are stressed? "You can tell by the way they sit in the water,if they're gilling more rapidly than usual, that's probably a sign of stress."

To keep things calm in waterworld, consider the following.

Why can't everyone just get along?
Remember the boy or girl in school who used to torment you at recess? Well, there are bullies in the fish world too, and they can traumatize their more timid targets by poking, chasing, and taunting them into submission. To prevent turf wars in your tank, stick with species that get along. Ask the owner of your local pet store for guidance.

Moving daze:
Bringing fish from the Pet store to your home aquarium can be very stressful for them. That's when disease is likely to take hold, says Krum, who strongly advocates putting new arrivals in an inexpensive 10-gallon quarantine tank with a basic filter for the first month. This move protects your new purchase as well as the fish you already own. "It seems impractical," he admits. "But in the long run, you'll end up saving money and time and so many fish."

Keep the quarantine tank sparse and clean and change the water frequently.

Sweeten the water:
Poor water quality is one of the most stressful things for your fish, says Krum. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in the water can be toxic, so invest in a good biological filter and change the water often to keep your aquarium healthy.

Crowded house:
We all need a little elbow room to maintain some semblance of sanity in our cluttered lives. Fish too, it seems. Keeping too many fish in close quarters can provoke aggressive behavior. If you already have a full house and feel like adopting some siblings for your fish friends, make sure you get a bigger tank.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.