GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The taking part that counts?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/08/02 at 02:34
Regular
I've joined a local football team. Just an amateur thing, not a particularly high level.

Thing is, i stink at football. Well, i'm pretty bad anyway. I've not played in a couple of years, which i guess makes things a bit worse too, but even in my 'prime', i was quite lame.

The first training session was today.

My motivation for joining? I picked out a fairly bad team (on league ranking), hoping my skills would fit. All i was looking for was a bit of fun, a kick around (not many people around in the summer for anything less formal).
In fairness, i'm not 'that' far out of my depth, and i will get better, but i didn't do anything that good, and made a fair few mistakes. And i'll definitely spend most of the matches firmly placed on the bench.

So the experiment - is it really just the taking part that counts? Or do you need to at least have some success for it to be worth bothering?

We have a friendly on thursday. I should get some time. Maybe i'll get a better idea then. Right now, i'm not sure.

We shall see.
Tue 13/08/02 at 17:23
Regular
"That's right!"
Winning isn't everything. If you beat just one person at something, then you know you're not the worst, and you keep at it. If you get beaten by everyone, you know you have some catching up to do, so you do it. Take arm wrestling for instance - I used to get beaten by the fat kids, that's how pathetic I was. When I tried again after working out, I found I could beat most people, and come pretty close to beating the people who were actually strong. Losing gives you a target to reach, makes you work harder to achieve the goals you set. Which is a good thing

OK, so I know that wasn't the point of this thread, but I thought I'd add it anyway, throw in my stuff so to speak
Tue 13/08/02 at 17:14
Regular
6 weeks. At best.
And i have to wear a giant tubi-grip over my torso.

That'll take me at least to the start of uni, so there'll be no more money for me. In all likelihood, i'll now need a part time job while i study too.

All because i wanted to play damn football.

And if i'd bought the boots with blades instead of studs, i might never have fallen at all. Acually, i really don't know about that, i never played in blades.

Ah well, we'll just have to see about the insurance. £30 a week, not far off a couple of hundred total. Depends on the specifics of the policy.

Nuts to it all :^(
Tue 13/08/02 at 01:08
Regular
I have an appointment at the hospital tomorrow. Should know roughly how long i'll be lame after that.
Fingers crossed
:^)
Mon 12/08/02 at 21:53
Regular
"I like cheese"
Hehe. Any updates on the football situation?
Sat 10/08/02 at 13:20
Regular
*you're* sorry? :O)
Sat 10/08/02 at 12:31
Regular
"I like cheese"
Ouch, not exactly the perfect debut. Sorry to hear that Duckster.
Fri 09/08/02 at 00:48
Regular
Okay, about quater of an hour left in the first, and i'm subbed in. The rest of the half goes well, i don't screw up at all, and there are a few positive moments.
Second half - still going well, i'm a bit uncomfortable with the ball at the back, but nothing bad comes of it.
One great moment, the attacker tries a quick step-over, which i read like a book, and proceed to nutmeg him. Couldn't secure posession before the ball ran out, but the look on his previously cocky face was great :O)

The, midway through the second, i'm on the ball. A bloke comes clattering into me. Trying to get up off the floor quickly, i find that my arm won't move. This is accompanied by a pang of pain. I role onto my back and lie still for a bit.
Pick myself up, walk off. My arm looks wrong - it's at a funny angle to my shoulder and hangs a couple of inches too low. I still can't move it.
Turns out to be dislocated. After turning down a dodgy bloke's offer to 'pop it back', i get a lift to the hospital. After quite a bumpy (read as 'painful') ride, we get there. Getting out of the car, my arm pops back in, sounding curiously like a ping-pong ball bouncing. Didn't hurt as much as the films would have you believe, but i guess it depends on the nature of the dislocation.

Go into the hospital anyway, as it's still painful and difficult to move, and to get it checked over.

After waiting for an hour and a half (sat in the waiting room in varying degrees of untranquilised pain), i get called in. Removing the top stirs more pain, and wearing just my football shorts and trainers (removed my boots), strips me of my dignity, as it were.
They force my arm into a sling (yep, more pain), before a ham-fisted doc smacks my shoulder about, asking if it hurts (can't he tell?!), before sending me for an x-ray. In a wheelchair (against my will :OS ).
After parking my semi-naked body in front of the cold vent's draft, and more waiting, i get x-rayed an pain.

Go back from x-ray. Wait for a while. Bloke pulls my arm around ('does it hurt?' - no, i was gritting my teeth and yelping occassionally to show my happiness at being pushed around hospital in just my shorts.), before wandering off. Waiting. Someone else comes back. Tells me my arm's not dislocated. (No ship sherlock, i told you it'd gone back when i came in here). Mumbles about slings, painkillers and tells me i can go, and to come back to the fracture clininc. As he's turning to wander off, i ask when. He mumbles about checking, and wanders off.
Waiting. Someone turns up with an appointment card for the fracture clinic and some painkillers. After two and a half hours, i finally get out of there.

The 15 minute walk home takes half an hour of ginger steps and pangs of pain. And i'm still wearing my football shorts and a coat draped over my shoulders. It's now night, cold and windy. Damn.
Over 3 hours after dislocating my arm, i get home, drop a painkiller, and take a (painful) shower. It's pretty difficult washing your left armpit with your left hand.
Then i made some food and wrote this. It takes a long time typing with one hand.

Damn.

Might be giving up the football now.
Thu 08/08/02 at 17:21
Regular
Going to the first friendly now.

See how it goes.

I've also found out about a pretty lame team that plays in a uni inter-department league, and they sound more like my kind of standard.
I could quit...
Wed 07/08/02 at 18:50
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
Its always best to start with failing then go on to success. But in the time that you are failing it seems hard, but when you finally get that success it feels so much better and you are more likely to stick to it because you know its not as bad as it was or could be. And you know that you have worked to get there. But if you just win time and time again without any problems this can lead to bordum for a while but it spurs on other to get where you are, so the tables are reversed! So my advice is stick at it for a while even if you do suck, and try your best for you, at least until you know it isnt for you!

But theres no way that you could be as bad as me a football, thats why I stick to rowing, as its something I can do without trying because Im a natural :o)

Good luck duck
Wed 07/08/02 at 10:41
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
You have to have a degree of success, or you will quickly lose interest. If you start winning you will be encouraged to play to the best of your ability and in turn you will find the experience more fun.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.