GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Go back to school"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/08/02 at 01:49
Regular
Go on.
I know a lot of you are still in edumacation but from the standard of things these past couple of weeks, maybe 2 months off isn't going to help a whole lot.
Or at least go on a road-trip adventure or something.
I've seen at least two people that are abroad take the time to log on here and say "Hello, it's hot and I'm bored"
You're bored in another country?
Let me guess, they don't speak English and you can't find the local Game store.

When I had that amount of time off school, I went out with mates and did stuff. Football over the park, wandered the streets looking for crimes to solve, all manner of things.
I didn't mooch around forums all day spewing head-bilge about "Which is da best consul" and making up really, really lame comedy posts about stuff.
Mind you, they didn't have the internet when I was your age, we had to create our own entertainment.

I think that's what's wrong with a lot of you. You have nothing in your heads except "How long until I can play on the PS2"
It requires nothing from you except a vacant stare and button mashing with your big goober face.
Everything is provided for you today, you just have to turn up and sit there, being spoonfed fun until you need burping and putting to bed for your nap.
Even toys now have their own voices and come from a film.
It requires no imaginative input from you.

I created worlds when I played as a kid, entire universes were made and lived in - all up here *taps head*
It forces you to be creative and use your head for more than opening tins of mashed up gruel.
Christ, go and learn to play a musical instrument.
"No, it's hard and I can't do it instantly"
Well ain't that a shame? Imagine that, something that requires effort and concentration.

Even computer games allow you to mong through if you get "stuck". Just log on, find the cheat and voila!
Back in my day (gets walking stick), you didn't have save points and cheats.
You had to do it at one go, or at least until you got a password for the next level.
It's all about instant gratification now isn't it?
How many of you read books?
I don't mean books about Buffy or Big Brother. I mean actual books with little words on the page and stuff?
I read voraciously when I was your age, and as such I am able to write fairly coherently (despite it being 01:45am) and can use my head.

Seriously, I dare you to spend a day without the television or computer for fun.
Try reading or talking to mates, listening to music and things that require you to actively participate.
I can't remember the last time I sat in front of the tv to watch a show.
It kills your mind, to sit in a near coma-state and watch brightly coloured people flit about like hummingbirds.

Turn off your appliances and go do something less boring instead.
And yes, I am aware of the irony of using the internet to decry passive entertainment.
But it's late and I can't sleep
Wed 07/08/02 at 22:47
Regular
"Excommunicated"
It's actually East Kilbride Afro

But really Glasgow as it's right next to it

Greenbelt my arsse :D
Wed 07/08/02 at 22:45
Regular
"I like cheese"
Flanders wrote:
> and relaxing the days away.

Not if you're going to Disneyland. :S

Loads of screaming kids...massive queues...Mickey Mouse...eurgh.
Wed 07/08/02 at 22:02
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
SHEEPY wrote:
> If I went out on my bike somebody would knock me off it and steal it
>
> My area has changed a lot since I was small
>
> Full of fooking a.seholes.

---

Yes, I've told you before.

That's Glasgow.
Wed 07/08/02 at 21:26
Regular
Goatboy wrote:

I created worlds when I played as a kid, entire universes were made and lived in - all up here *taps head*

--

Nah. You don't even like pixies and elves and other fantasy stuff. Imagination is what books make you use. If something like Lord of the Ringd didn't make you imagine what it might be like to be in Middle-Earth, how the hell can you claim to have a decent imagination?

Or something. There's a good chance I'm babbling.
Wed 07/08/02 at 20:54
Regular
"everyone says it"
I come on here when I am not drunk.

I come on here when I am drunk.

I come on here just before I go out.

I come on here before I jump into the bed with a women.

I like these forums.
Wed 07/08/02 at 20:38
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I went to London Zoo on tuesday. We saw a Slender Loris. And a Giant Jumping Rat: "It's giant!" says sophie upon seeing it. Oh yeah.
Then today we went to hamleys. Hamleys is full of children. But we found some funny toys.
I do interesting things during the summer holidays.
Slender Loris.
Wed 07/08/02 at 20:33
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Meka Dragon wrote:
>
> Schools seem to think that creativity is wrong. Hell, even art lessons
> had you trying to do something in the style of someone or other.

Literacy hour. They teach you about adjectives and verbs and complex sentances. You know, the least creative part of English.

Back in my day, we had 'reading time'. Where we read books.
Wed 07/08/02 at 16:10
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Lol

So have you got your 10 acres marked out yet !

I can just picture all these astronomers training their telescopes on this little 10 acre plot - trying to work out what them strange marking's are and then realising it's a massive "Bird" with the immortal line..

"F*F**k off - Luv Goatboy" underneath..
Wed 07/08/02 at 16:04
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I bet money that the 1st civilian on the moon will send an email back going
"I'm on the moon!!!!!" and not check it out fully.

They'd better not land on my 10 acres, I'll shoot them in their space-ass with my (soon-to-be-completed) spacegun
Wed 07/08/02 at 16:00
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Meka Dragon wrote:

>
> Still, coming on these forums whilst on holiday? That's odd.

Not just odd - I'd say it's sad.

When I go on holiday in a week and a half I will be going nowhere near any where offering internet access.

What is the point - the idea is to get away - enjoy seeing new places and new cultures and relaxing the days away.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.