GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Goverment to support computer gaming: a reality?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/08/02 at 16:13
Regular
The Government is often criticised for not supporting the British film industry enough. They are accused of being unwilling to provide financial assistance, in order to sustain the many fledgling film companies, which would be required to turn the British Film Industry into an economic asset. They don’t do enough to promote it either. Well if they are unwilling to support that venture, it would be amazingly astute and perhaps very radical, if they decided to support the other (and potentially more profitable) entertainment media in this country: computer games.

Gaming in Korea is massive, there is total saturation throughout the country and it is the most popular pastime there. The reason for this is apparent, the Government recognises gaming as a perfectly valid interest and fully supports game’s developers, publishers, telephone companies, internet providers and so on, ensuring that it is affordable to all. On-line gaming is incredibly popular and raises the profile of the stand alone/play alone games, especially those on consoles.

Our Government is keen to emphasise it’s desire to have “Internet access for all” and “a computer in every home by 2004”, so there would be the infrastructure in place, if handled correctly, to do likewise. The Government’s fondness of the Internet does stem from it’s, possibly naive, idea that it provides knowledge and even education for the masses. If only they could be convinced that online gaming provides social and mental stimulation, intellectual achievement and an opportunity to develop communities throughout the country (and in theory Europe) that are not defined by socio-economic status, race or religion. Unless the aforementioned is part of the game. Playing alone is also as rewarding and is certainly time better spent than watching TV.

Just look how successful existing British computer games companies have been and if there is the provision of funding and proper recognition, it could prove to be a major economic boon for our ailing economy. Like the film analogy illustrates and rings true, our people are just as creative and talented as any other countries.

It is time they got the chance to prove this on a grander scale.
Tue 06/08/02 at 16:13
"Darth Vader 3442321"
The Government is often criticised for not supporting the British film industry enough. They are accused of being unwilling to provide financial assistance, in order to sustain the many fledgling film companies, which would be required to turn the British Film Industry into an economic asset. They don’t do enough to promote it either. Well if they are unwilling to support that venture, it would be amazingly astute and perhaps very radical, if they decided to support the other (and potentially more profitable) entertainment media in this country: computer games.

Gaming in Korea is massive, there is total saturation throughout the country and it is the most popular pastime there. The reason for this is apparent, the Government recognises gaming as a perfectly valid interest and fully supports game’s developers, publishers, telephone companies, internet providers and so on, ensuring that it is affordable to all. On-line gaming is incredibly popular and raises the profile of the stand alone/play alone games, especially those on consoles.

Our Government is keen to emphasise it’s desire to have “Internet access for all” and “a computer in every home by 2004”, so there would be the infrastructure in place, if handled correctly, to do likewise. The Government’s fondness of the Internet does stem from it’s, possibly naive, idea that it provides knowledge and even education for the masses. If only they could be convinced that online gaming provides social and mental stimulation, intellectual achievement and an opportunity to develop communities throughout the country (and in theory Europe) that are not defined by socio-economic status, race or religion. Unless the aforementioned is part of the game. Playing alone is also as rewarding and is certainly time better spent than watching TV.

Just look how successful existing British computer games companies have been and if there is the provision of funding and proper recognition, it could prove to be a major economic boon for our ailing economy. Like the film analogy illustrates and rings true, our people are just as creative and talented as any other countries.

It is time they got the chance to prove this on a grander scale.
Tue 06/08/02 at 16:17
"Darth Vader 3442321"
missed an "N" in the title, my edyoukation is lacking.
Tue 06/08/02 at 16:27
"MMMMM, Chicken"
If the governments handling of the british film industry is anything to go by, the less 'help' they give the better. Government funding in this country is a farce, concentrating on niche films, the majority of which never get made due to lack of funding, thus wasting what money they put in. In my opinion the government should only provide the essential services, they have too much control as it is and handle what they have control over terribly. Leave films and videogames to people who know what they're doing, who have experienced and the relevent knowledge, would you really want a political party controlling the games industry, regulating what is acceptable to fit their standards and purposes? - I know I wouldnt.
Wed 07/08/02 at 11:53
"Darth Vader 3442321"
I agree that regulation would be a bad scenario. I am acutely aware of the possibility of them gaining too much control but there are practical policies they could adopt.

I think that the Government needs to concentrate on making broadband provision a realistic possibility for the majority and not the minority (guaranteeing we get a good deal from the providers) and also ensuring that we get a fairer deal when buying technology. We often pay more here for goods than in other countries.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.