GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"One Extra (New Digital Radio Station for Black People)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/08/02 at 15:00
Regular
I think I will complain to the BBC about there new Digital Radio Station One Extra (available soon on DAB and SKY) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/about.shtml I find this station racist towards me and the other X Millions white people in the UK as it is specifically Targeted at Black People. It will Play Black Music and feature news and discussions targeted at Black people.

OK, before anyone calls ME racist, I have no problem whether we are White, Black, Yellow or Green. We are all British, English or whatever we are called theses days (Europeans? Americans?) BUT Isn't White music good enough to deserve it's own station? Will they refuse to play Eminem on One Extra? And before anyone's sys we have our own "white" radio stations Name One!

What if I had enough money to set up my own National radio station and I chose to Play Only white Music and broadcast news and information of relevance and targeted towards only White people?

What if my station did the following (which the BBC claims One Extra Will do) "reflect, support and provide a much-needed outlet for the young, WHITE music fan both on the air and on the web now and into the future"???????????

Well for a start I would probably not even be granted a licenses and If I was able to get one, what then? Outrage over a new Racist Radio Station, Protests by Pro Black Organisations, Bad publicity and condemnation by the nations press. Complaints to The Police? Discussions in parliament? My detention under some stupid new law?

Things like this Radio Station really p** me off. We are continually being told we are a multicultural society and we should integrate as live as one nation (which I'm Happy to Do) but then things like this happen.

Why isn't One Extra simply a station targeting fans of Hip-Hop, garage and all that other excuse for music, I could live with that BUT no, they target it, promote it and will broadcast it specifically at Black People.

Why not target the station like Kiss, at people interested in that genre of music, regardless of skin colour. Are White people, Asian people or even green little alien people not good enough to listen to this type of music?
Wed 07/08/02 at 14:37
Regular
"Kiss my face!"
It seems 6466 is no longer testing for Radio 1 Xtra. So to continue to listen to it repeat the process below but store the channel called 1Xtra BBC.

Also testing under channel 6469 is the new BBC Gaelic radio channel.

Happy listening.
Tue 06/08/02 at 20:33
Regular
"Kiss my face!"
If you want to listen to Radio 1Xtra before it launches next Friday (16th August) then perform the following steps:

1) Press Services,4,4
2) Enter 11798 as the frequency
3) Enter H as the polarity(use the left and right buttons to select it).
4) Set the signal rate to 27.5
5) Set the FEC to 2/3
6) Press select
7) Once channel names appear highlight channel with name 6466.
8) Press yellow to put a tick next to channel name.
9) Press select.
10) Press select again when it says channel lineup complete.
11) Press Services,6
12) Highlight channel name 6466 and press select.
13) Now you can listen to the channel before anyone else.
Tue 06/08/02 at 17:15
Regular
I just think music is a universal thing that everyone, regardless of skin colour can enjoy, and it shouldn't be put into categories chosen by skin colour. I don't care who made the music, that is not important (or shouldn't be)
Tue 06/08/02 at 17:06
Regular
Mr.Snuggly wrote:

> The reason you'd get blasted by the media for starting a whites-only
> music station is because the only reason you'd be doing it is to prove
> a point.

to say that is to imply that racism does not apply to those speaking against white people, and I think we see evidence of this everywhere these days. And there are many forms of music created by white people, why can we not celebrate these equally as we do black music?
Tue 06/08/02 at 11:16
It does all come down to the way they are marketing it, and the ethics behind this station.

Like Snuggly said it's not the focus on black people that could be classed as racist it's the possible exclusion and/or discrimination of others.
Tue 06/08/02 at 10:49
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Umm...pretty much *all* music is of black origin.

Seems a tad pointless to have a specifically targetted station, but I dont really care either way.
I still wont listen to it.
Tue 06/08/02 at 10:42
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Do you also have a problem with Asian radio stations that you get in London? Why aren't they accused of be discriminatory?
Tue 06/08/02 at 10:41
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Are they refusing to play music by white people? Do they purposely single out white music and discriminate against white people? Or are they just celebrating music of black origin, for what is still, in essence, a minority group?

The reason you'd get blasted by the media for starting a whites-only music station is because the only reason you'd be doing it is to prove a point.
Tue 06/08/02 at 04:01
Regular
They already got the "asain Network" radio station so i guess they are just expandin thier horizons...

I agree with what your saying though, its a bit stupid of them in the way they are marketining it...
Tue 06/08/02 at 01:47
Regular
a controversial subject. You're right, there should be no discrimination, and the BBC should get b*llocked for it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.