GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"RECOMMENDED RETAIL PRICES? Whats that all about?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/08/02 at 13:39
Regular
Hi,
I've been wondering about this for years.But what is RRP all about? Why should manufactores dictate to shops what THEY should sell at? Shops can sell a game at any price they want.And why do shops refer back to the manufacture when advertising and say "LOOK! WE ARE SELLING AT 20% LOWER THAN THE RRP, EVEN THOUGH IT IS NEVER SOLD AT THAT PRICE!"
Are companys living in each others pockets or some thing?
Mon 05/08/02 at 13:39
Regular
Hi,
I've been wondering about this for years.But what is RRP all about? Why should manufactores dictate to shops what THEY should sell at? Shops can sell a game at any price they want.And why do shops refer back to the manufacture when advertising and say "LOOK! WE ARE SELLING AT 20% LOWER THAN THE RRP, EVEN THOUGH IT IS NEVER SOLD AT THAT PRICE!"
Are companys living in each others pockets or some thing?
Mon 05/08/02 at 14:05
Regular
They aren't dictating anything,they are recommending a price that would (So they think)be a reasonable price for the customer and make the retailer a decent amount of profit.
Mon 05/08/02 at 14:07
Regular
Oh it also stops companies over pricing stuff. Who in their right mind is going to pay £50 for something that has a RRP is £29.99?!

See
Mon 05/08/02 at 14:08
"Darkness, always"
also, placing an RRP on a product box is a stroke of genius, since it ensures consumers aren't ripped off.

clever, but under-utilised
Mon 05/08/02 at 14:18
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Yep Mystie and Mr Ripper (IB is much easier to type !) are correct in their reasoning.

One thing you are wrong about though is that not all retailers will sell at 20% etc below the RRP - Shops like EB/Game whatever they want to call themselves now will - wherever possible - charge the full RRP when new games come out.
Mon 05/08/02 at 14:28
Regular
LOL its the other way round!
Mon 05/08/02 at 14:38
Regular
If manufactures really wanted to help us then why do they choose the most expensive price possible for the RRP? Have you forgot that shops couldn't go beyond the RRP as it is ridiculously high in the first place? Think again.
Mon 05/08/02 at 16:26
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I don't think that the manufacturers actually choose "the highest price possible", because they want people to buy their product, so they charge whatever people will pay for it. If everyone stopped buying games at £30, they would go down in price, but as long as people feel that it is acceptable to pay that much, that is how much they will cost.

You may complain about the high prices, but I bet you still buy the games, don't you? If they really were too high, you'd find another passtime.
Mon 05/08/02 at 17:24
Regular
"That's right!"
People only pay that much because they don't know any better. Let them have a look on the internet and they'd see how much they're being ripped off, paying almost twice as much for a CD and extra for games/DVDs etc. Though, if everyone started buying from Play etc, they'd probably bump the prices up to rake in the spondulees. Grr
Mon 05/08/02 at 17:30
RRP are really only there as guide but when you look at the SR web site and many others too you find most things under the RRP ie undercutting profits but it works bye the fact people will bye more from theese sites :0)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.