GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"*no subject*"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/08/02 at 12:13
Regular
Hi,
I have been gaming solidly for over 5 yeasr now, which i know is not long compared to some of you old timers.But I'd just like to say that I really dont care about the fact that theres no new ideas in the game industry. I mean, i couldn't carless if companys cept on releasing sequel after sequel.Like who doesn't want to play residant evil 4-5-6-7-8-9? In fact, I could live off squels of great games for the rest of my life. Bring on DOOM 3,4 and 5 please.
Ok, so it's good once in a while to have some thing original pop up from time to time,but lets leave them rarities to happen when they do.bring on street fighter alpha 4! I'm all for it.
Mon 05/08/02 at 13:12
"Darkness, always"
exactly my point. If these games had different characters, and were named something else, that list would mean nothing to most of us. As it is, the mere mention of sequels to some games is enough to get people drooling.
Mon 05/08/02 at 12:59
Regular
Here are the games on the horizon.Ready?Good.
DOOM3
DUKE NUKEM FOREVER
JUDGE DREAD VS JUDGE DEATH
ALIENS VS PREDITOR 3
THIEF3
DUES EX 2
HIDDEN AND DANGEOUS 2
UNREAL 2
UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2003
UNREAL WARFARE
QUAKE 4
HALF LIFE 2
COUNTER-STIKE 2
COUNTER-STRIKE CONDITION ZERO
MAX PAYNE 2
SIM CITY 4
ROLLER COASTER 2
JAMES BOND 007: NIGHT FIRE (NOT A SEQUEL,LOL)
TOMB RAIDER : ANGEL OF DARKNESS
HALO
... I could go on but I dont think I should.So then,no revolution here but that doesn't mean your not exited!
Mon 05/08/02 at 12:34
"Darkness, always"
Gaming will never again be loaded with originality. Pretty much every facet of gaming has been explored to death. All that is left is to make the same sort of game with a new twist. Add an RPG element to an RTS game. Add cel shading to an FPS. Add X to Y and make Z, Z being an "original" game.

Why do you think we're seeing so many game sequels? Some of it is industry spam, like Tomb Raider sequels and such. But others are sequels where the game has been seriously re-vamped. A new adventure in a new world with a new challenge, but the characters are the same as the last game. Why do they do this, when they can claim a new and original game just by changing the characters? Simple. Brand recognition. It may be a fantastically new game, but without something people can recognise in it, it won't perform as well as it could do.

It is the attitude of the average consumer which must change, if the industry is expected to follow suit, not vice versa. At the end of the day, games are designed to fit the wants of the consumers, essentially to what the consumer is likely to buy. It's all very well being original and innovative, but if no-one buys your new concept because they don't recognise it, you've just wasted a fortune.

When gamers want originality, originality will inevitably follow. At the moment, all most people want is the next in the series. As long as that attitude is that of the masses, the gaming industry will continue on its current course; a collision course with self-destruction.

IB
Mon 05/08/02 at 12:31
Regular
nasty neighbour wrote:
> I know what you mean, when i complete a game i get bored of it becuase
> of the fact its the same levels and if a sequal came along the same
> only diffrent levels id buy it.
>
> The prob is when its a rubbish game to begin with.

We are lucky that not many crap games get sequels then,eh?
Mon 05/08/02 at 12:24
Regular
I like sequels as you probably can tell, but when it concerns arcade games being ported home, I CANT stand shoddy conversions.
Mon 05/08/02 at 12:23
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
If we dont get original games then we are going to get stuck in the same old, sequels-licenses-bad ideas to start with circle.
Mon 05/08/02 at 12:18
Regular
I know what you mean, when i complete a game i get bored of it becuase of the fact its the same levels and if a sequal came along the same only diffrent levels id buy it.

The prob is when its a rubbish game to begin with.
Mon 05/08/02 at 12:17
Regular
"everyone says it"
The lack of originality is killing gaming. It is gamers like you who keep the companies believing that releasing the same game with a new number will be good for them.

I hate companies that keep doing this. I allow Squaresoft and Capcom. As their sequels are still quite fun and they do try new ideas and concepts.

Other games, like GT. That game should be shot. Crap thing.

GT Concept - WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON THE ORIGINAL.
Mon 05/08/02 at 12:13
Regular
Hi,
I have been gaming solidly for over 5 yeasr now, which i know is not long compared to some of you old timers.But I'd just like to say that I really dont care about the fact that theres no new ideas in the game industry. I mean, i couldn't carless if companys cept on releasing sequel after sequel.Like who doesn't want to play residant evil 4-5-6-7-8-9? In fact, I could live off squels of great games for the rest of my life. Bring on DOOM 3,4 and 5 please.
Ok, so it's good once in a while to have some thing original pop up from time to time,but lets leave them rarities to happen when they do.bring on street fighter alpha 4! I'm all for it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.