GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What the hell is wrong with my Dreamcast (Badgerman)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/08/02 at 20:56
Regular
Badgerman just wanted to tell you lot this......

I've had my Dreamcast quite a while now, but recently it's been playing up. It's been restarting itself over and over and over again. Have any of you lot experienced this? Help!
Sun 04/08/02 at 20:56
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Badgerman just wanted to tell you lot this......

I've had my Dreamcast quite a while now, but recently it's been playing up. It's been restarting itself over and over and over again. Have any of you lot experienced this? Help!
Sun 04/08/02 at 21:41
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
Funnily enough i was at my freinds house on Thursday and his DC was doing the very same thing, it was a VERY hot day so we assumed that was the cause, i too have had a few "hiccups" with MSR in the last 2 or 3 days that i never had b4 (again, only on the hottest days has this been noticable). Hope this helps.
Mon 05/08/02 at 18:05
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I read in the manual that heat can be a problem, and I therefore suspose that that could be a reasonable explanation for the problems.
If you've got a Desktop Fan, perhaps you should use that on the console during those odd hot summers days (unlike today!).

I've also heard from people that the lens that reads the CD's can cause resetting problems. Maybe you could try cleaning it?

See what some other people say, people who have experienced this problem before. :)
Mon 05/08/02 at 20:38
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Ok, i think I may know what the problem is... I have had this problem...

It is not heat.... mine never packs up to do with heat, anyway its got a fan!!

1) First step try cleaning the lens with a lens cleaner, the Dreamcast has one of the most delicate console lenses around. If it still happens even when the lens in clean then it is most likely a problem with the switch on the lid!!!!!

Sounds stupid, but my connection between the lid of the dreamcast went all wrong. If i close my dreamcast lid, the disk does not play....... so what you need to do, is to perhaps rest a little weight on the disk lid which will properly connect to make the Dreamcast run.... its a problem between the connections, if there is a poor connection the dreamcast will keep resetting and reloading again.
The most effective way, is to not close the lid completely, just get a small weight like TV remote and rest it on top of the lid, dont ACTUALLY close the lid, but rest the remote on top of the lid so that it just touches the Dreamcast console, this fools the Dreamcast into thinking that there is a perfect connection and the disk will run!!!!

I hope you understand, but just in breif, its more likely a problem with the connection between the lid and the dreamcast which tells the machine when to start checking the disks. So to solve this push the lid too and rest something on it.......

PHEW! The same thing happened to me, its extremely unlikely that it is to do with heat... otherwise every Dreamcast console in Australia would have broken down by now!!!! Thats why it has a fan!

Most likely, check the lens is clean and see if the lid is making a decent connection....

Thanx.
Tue 06/08/02 at 19:03
Regular
"me smart, u dork bi"
it could be your power board.if yoopen up your dreamcast and remove the gd unit and remove the two screws on the power board you will be able to lift the board when it has been lifted you will see some metal connectors,clean them and blow between the holes on the board and put the dc back together and it should play fine.
Wed 07/08/02 at 15:24
Regular
"es argh"
Well, I hoovered it and it's ok now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.