GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The future inludes many a bad thing."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/11/00 at 07:57
Regular
I think that in the future, all games companies will become one. This will mean many a job loss, yet there are benefits for us. Yes, Rare, Squaresoft, Konami etc. would all be able to combine their skills to bring us even better games. The one format thing would mean all of these games would be playable on this one console. However, we would lose the console rivalry, which I think really helped this site in the beginning. Yes, the console would have to be good, for people to buy it. But if companies did it alone, there would be even more pressure from each other to continue being the best. This would help us by making them better consoles, games and PRICES. If there was only one company, there is no need for competively cheaper prices. They could charge us all hell for games that wouldn't be as good as if they stayed apart.
Also, they would subdue the human need for choice, every one would be forced to have the same console!
So my conclusion is, the games MAY be better, due to the combined knowledge, or MAY be worse due to the lack of competitiveness. The prices would definately be higher, and the console on the whole may not be as good. The company would begin to slack, and due to no choice, we'd have to buy their console or none at all! Disaster if you ask me.
Well, my conclusion is it's bad for them all to merge.
Thanks for your interest.
Thu 16/11/00 at 07:57
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
I think that in the future, all games companies will become one. This will mean many a job loss, yet there are benefits for us. Yes, Rare, Squaresoft, Konami etc. would all be able to combine their skills to bring us even better games. The one format thing would mean all of these games would be playable on this one console. However, we would lose the console rivalry, which I think really helped this site in the beginning. Yes, the console would have to be good, for people to buy it. But if companies did it alone, there would be even more pressure from each other to continue being the best. This would help us by making them better consoles, games and PRICES. If there was only one company, there is no need for competively cheaper prices. They could charge us all hell for games that wouldn't be as good as if they stayed apart.
Also, they would subdue the human need for choice, every one would be forced to have the same console!
So my conclusion is, the games MAY be better, due to the combined knowledge, or MAY be worse due to the lack of competitiveness. The prices would definately be higher, and the console on the whole may not be as good. The company would begin to slack, and due to no choice, we'd have to buy their console or none at all! Disaster if you ask me.
Well, my conclusion is it's bad for them all to merge.
Thanks for your interest.
Thu 16/11/00 at 11:16
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
All companies becoming one ? No chance. For a start you've got too many big names making too much money. Thats like saying SR are gonna join up with less successful shops and share their profits.

Companies employ games designers because they have visions for great games and they want these people to put their company at the top of the pile.
Greedy it may sound but its business. If you open a new shop selling video games, do you do it because you wanna work with all games stores in giving games players a local outlet ? Of course not, your putting that shop down to whoop your next door neighbours butt !
If your very successful, you expand until the name of your shop is everywhere.
Theres too much big business and money for all companies to simply merge, trust me, in years and years to come you will still see plenty of seperate companies working on their own titles.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.